Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 30, 2008, 03:42 PM   #1
brianld
macrumors member

Phone number not showing in iTunes

Maybe I'm losing my mind, but I seem to recall seeing my phone number show up in iTunes when I connected my iPhone once upon a time. I noticed the other day that it no longer shows up.

Curious if anyone can tell me if this is because of 2.0 software update, has to do with 3G iPhones, or something else? It doesn't affect me too much since I obviously know my own phone number, but was just something I noticed.

Screenshot below to illustrate what I'm referring to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	127210  
brianld is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 03:44 PM   #2
gauchogolfer
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to gauchogolfer Send a message via Yahoo to gauchogolfer Send a message via Skype™ to gauchogolfer
That's interesting. I'm pretty sure that my Mac at home is displaying the phone number properly.

What OS are you running?
Old Jul 30, 2008, 03:49 PM   #3
pyrodex
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to pyrodex Send a message via Skype™ to pyrodex
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianld View Post
Maybe I'm losing my mind, but I seem to recall seeing my phone number show up in iTunes when I connected my iPhone once upon a time. I noticed the other day that it no longer shows up.

Curious if anyone can tell me if this is because of 2.0 software update, has to do with 3G iPhones, or something else? It doesn't affect me too much since I obviously know my own phone number, but was just something I noticed.

Screenshot below to illustrate what I'm referring to.
Are you running itunes 7.7?
pyrodex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 03:56 PM   #4
nickspohn
macrumors 68040

1) Turn the iPhone on / off, reconnect to iTunes.
2) Make sure you're running iTunes 7.7
3) Backup/Restore the iPhone.

If those don't work, post back.
nickspohn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 04:04 PM   #5
pauld
macrumors regular

Is that a US thing?
I don't seem to have it here in London with O2.
pauld is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 04:13 PM   #6
brianld
macrumors member

Sorry - should've realized I needed to provide additional details. This is on MS Vista Business (32-bit)

Running iTunes 7.7 (just re-installed yesterday to be sure it wasn't a bug w/ my iTunes install)

I've tried restarting the phone, restoring from backup, and even setting up as new phone.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 04:22 PM   #7
b1gted
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to b1gted
I have one even better for ya!

My wife has her own 16g White Iphone, and her own Vista PC.
Her Itunes shows her phone # when phone is docked.

My 16g Black Iphone when docked on my own PC with windows Vista, doesn't show my phone #???

Now here is the kicker... I still have my OLD first gen Iphone, and when I dock it and look at Itunes, it DOES show my phone #??????

I actually have had them both docked at the same time, my old & new Iphone, and when I have Itunes open, I can switch back and forth between the 2 by chosing either one on the left hand column. New Iphone doesn't show #, Old Iphone does.

What is up with that? Especially when my wifes 3G does show her # on her Itunes?
Old Jul 30, 2008, 04:29 PM   #8
brianld
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1gted View Post
My wife has her own 16g White Iphone, and her own Vista PC.
Her Itunes shows her phone # when phone is docked.

My 16g Black Iphone when docked on my own PC with windows Vista, doesn't show my phone #???

Now here is the kicker... I still have my OLD first gen Iphone, and when I dock it and look at Itunes, it DOES show my phone #??????
Interesting ... I do remember seeing my phone number show up in iTunes for my 1st-gen iPhone (don't have it any longer).

Complete coincidence that I too have a 16gb Black that's not showing the phone #?
Old Jul 30, 2008, 04:32 PM   #9
b1gted
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to b1gted
Quote:
Interesting ... I do remember seeing my phone number show up in iTunes for my 1st-gen iPhone (don't have it any longer).

Complete coincidence that I too have a 16gb Black that's not showing the phone #?
I think the common factor is more likely it has to do with previously having a first gen. Iphone on the same computer/Itunes.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 04:50 PM   #10
Ntombi
macrumors 68020

Interesting, because I noticed last night that my number didn't show, but I couldn't remember if it had in the past. 3G with iTunes 7.7 here, and I never had an original iPhone.

Ntombi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 04:55 PM   #11
Cynicalone
macrumors 68040

It show's my phone number. I'm running Mac OS 10.5.4, iTunes 7.7, and have the latest firmware installed on my iPhone 3G. Might be another bug of the 2.0 software.
Cynicalone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 05:10 PM   #12
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SFStateStudent Send a message via Yahoo to SFStateStudent Send a message via Skype™ to SFStateStudent
^^^ Same with mine, it's all good...
Old Jul 30, 2008, 05:10 PM   #13
Aravintht
macrumors 6502a

it is to do with the sim cards

if your phone number is stored on the sim card then it will come up in iTunes and it will be shown first within contracts (iphone) as 'My Number'

-if your iPhone came with a sim card then it will have the number
-if o2 had to put a sim in your phone but the sim was not programmed with a number (universal sim) then it wont have your number
-if you upgraded but had an old sim, 2year+ then it wont show up

how i figured this out..

i was on an o2 simplicity contract for about 5months with a number that had been ported in. So my sim did not have my number stored on it, therefore it didnt show up in iTunes when i upgraded to the iPhone 3G from my American iPhone 2g.

i then tried a new pay as you go sim in it and found the number showed up

i though it might be that my sim is just old, requested o2 send me a new sim. They sent me a universal sim and said just to ring them when i received it and the would activate the sim to my number. the number did not show up in itunes with the new sim

this led me to conclude that if a number is assigned to a sim during the manufacturing process, it will appear in iTunes. if a new number is ported to that sim or the sim does not have a number assigned during manufacturing - it will not show up in itunes...
Aravintht is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 05:13 PM   #14
gauchogolfer
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to gauchogolfer Send a message via Yahoo to gauchogolfer Send a message via Skype™ to gauchogolfer
^^ I'm not sure what the OP's problem is, but I don't think this explains it.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 05:31 PM   #15
DenniZ
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchogolfer View Post
^^ I'm not sure what the OP's problem is, but I don't think this explains it.
Doesn't explain it, I had a replacement sim from my original iPhone, didn't show the number on that one, but when I upgraded and kept that sim for iPhone 3G, it shows it. I think it's more to do with whether its the only sim card that been in the phone. When I change the sim in the phone it doesn't show its own number at all then.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 05:38 PM   #16
brianld
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauchogolfer View Post
^^ I'm not sure what the OP's problem is
No "problem" per se, just trying to identify why it wasn't showing up in iTunes.

To follow up on what Aravintht posted regarding it being related to the SIM - you could be on to something there, as my phone number doesn't show up in my contacts list any longer either, though I had just attributed that to the fact that I was now using MS Exchange / ActiveSync.

FWIW, when I went from my 1st-gen iPhone to my new one, I didn't swap SIMs. In other words, the AT&T guy just activated my new 3G iPhone with the SIM that came in it, and told me to toss my old SIM.

-Brian
Old Jul 30, 2008, 05:42 PM   #17
DenniZ
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
No "problem" per se, just trying to identify why it wasn't showing up in iTunes.

To follow up on what Aravintht posted regarding it being related to the SIM - you could be on to something there, as my phone number doesn't show up in my contacts list any longer either, though I had just attributed that to the fact that I was now using MS Exchange / ActiveSync.

FWIW, when I went from my 1st-gen iPhone to my new one, I didn't swap SIMs. In other words, the AT&T guy just activated my new 3G iPhone with the SIM that came in it, and told me to toss my old SIM.

-Brian
If you use another phone, like a sony erricson there is a setting to type the line number of your sim card. I did enter that information before I put it in my new iPhone 3g, although it didn't show when I put it in my old iPhone.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 05:45 PM   #18
oclor
macrumors regular

WHO CARES??? haha
oclor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 07:18 PM   #19
fatalcure
macrumors newbie

2 iphones, my iphone does not show the number, my wife's does (both in itunes and in contacts)

the only difference is that my number was ported over from sprint and her's was a new at&t number....

not a big deal tho...
fatalcure is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2008, 07:55 PM   #20
michaelmaxwell2
macrumors regular

my iphone does not show my number. When I first connected my iPhone to the computer it asked me if I wanted to restore it from a backup which I pressed yes but what I restored it from was my old 1st gen iPhone with a another number.
michaelmaxwell2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 04:35 AM   #21
musio
macrumors 68000

if you can, how to you view your own number on your iphone?
musio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 11:55 AM   #22
brianld
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musio View Post
if you can, how to you view your own number on your iphone?
If it's functioning "normally", it will show up in the top of your Contacts list.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 04:36 PM   #23
brianld
macrumors member

Lightbulb RESOLUTION: Get a new SIM

I managed to solve this issue today by getting a new SIM at the AT&T store. Phone number shows up at top of Contacts list, and in iTunes as well.

One item of note is that "My Number: ..." doesn't show up when I access the Contacts app directly from the home screen, but does show up when I go in to it via Phone, then select Contacts from the bottom. Weird, as I thought they were one and the same and essentially pointed to the same thing, though it must be slightly different in this case.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 05:39 PM   #24
musio
macrumors 68000

i must have an abnormal phone - nothing there!

EDIT: here is some more info WHERE it should appear:
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/4...nnumbertl2.png

As i read, this feature is for our US buddies. Can any UK people chime in if they do have their number?
musio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 06:26 PM   #25
DenniZ
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by musio View Post
i must have an abnormal phone - nothing there!

EDIT: here is some more info WHERE it should appear:
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/4...nnumbertl2.png

As i read, this feature is for our US buddies. Can any UK people chime in if they do have their number?
I have my number show up on my iTunes and throughout the menus in the phone.

(From UK, on O2 contract)

I have had a number show up when I unlocked my old phone as well. But only with one specific number otherwise it wouldn't show the number.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone