Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jul 30, 2008, 11:48 PM   #1
aaronthomas
macrumors regular

Handbreak audio

Hey all... so i ripped some of my dvds and im having a issue with the volume.... not so much the back ground noise but with the dialogue. Im using the ipod hi-rez preset with aac+ac3 audio and 160kbps audio... anybody have any ideas what i could do to boost up the voices... Thanks
Aaron

Last edited by aaronthomas; Jul 31, 2008 at 12:09 AM.
aaronthomas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 09:06 AM   #2
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Well, the only way to modify the volume of your aac track (which is the one you hear on your ipod) is http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/DynRangeCompression

Note, It's controlled in the Audio Tab of course and has no effect on the ac3 track, just the aac track.
dynaflash is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:32 AM   #3
aaronthomas
macrumors regular

Thanks Dynaflash.... but im still confused.... Should i just use the aac audio or can i still use the aac +ac3 audio and change the dynamic range compression. Im using my ipod to watch on my tv if that helps.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:45 AM   #4
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Well, you can certainly bump up the dynamic range and see if you like it better. Its fine to use with aac+ac3 as it won't touch the ac3 track and only gets applied to the aac track (which of course is all your using with your ipod). I recommend testing a chapter that you don't like the sound on and see how you like a few different settings.

One note: Beware that just like subs, this is hardcoded into your movie, in other words there is no way to turn it off once you've encoded it.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 11:14 AM   #5
aaronthomas
macrumors regular

Ok... ill give it a shot! Last question will bumping up the bitrate in audio quality to 160 help as well? Dynaflash thanks so much!
Old Jul 31, 2008, 11:19 AM   #6
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronthomas View Post
Last question will bumping up the bitrate in audio quality to 160 help as well?
Um, for dpl2 I recommend it. However in your OP you said thats what you're already using <confused>. At any rate, yes I would use 160 kbps for your aac audio bitrate.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 11:25 AM   #7
aaronthomas
macrumors regular

Yeah... just wanted to make sure it was the right thing.... Thanks again for your help!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater