Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jul 31, 2008, 01:23 AM   #1
adubsounds
macrumors newbie

iPhone 3G - Apps open for a few seconds then close

Turnt my iPhone on this morning, checked my email and saw i had a facebook message, so i open the facebook app, it starts to open then after a few seconds it closes and takes my back to the home screen

so i try this a couple more times, and with all my downloaded apps and it does the same thing.

So i've tried turning my iphone on and off, again the same problem

Any ideas guys

Thanks

Adam
adubsounds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 01:24 AM   #2
siurpeeman
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to siurpeeman
i heard deleting and reinstalling the app resolves the issue, but i've had mixed results.
Old Jul 31, 2008, 01:34 AM   #3
adubsounds
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by siurpeeman View Post
i heard deleting and reinstalling the app resolves the issue, but i've had mixed results.
ive only had the iPhone a couple of days surely every two days im not going to have to keep reistalling all my apps?

am i?
adubsounds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 01:37 AM   #4
DiamondMac
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by siurpeeman View Post
I have done this twice and resolved both issues with any apps that I have had trouble with but both times they started due to updating them and somehow it corrupted them
21.5-inch, 500GB, 2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
DiamondMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 01:38 AM   #5
siurpeeman
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to siurpeeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by adubsounds View Post
ive only had the iPhone a couple of days surely every two days im not going to have to keep reistalling all my apps?

am i?
it shouldn't keep happening. although, if it did, i'd just restore completely. and if it kept happening after that, i'd take it back to apple and have it diagnosed/exchanged, cuz it really shouldn't behave like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrleansMac View Post
I have done this twice and resolved both issues with any apps that I have had trouble with but both times they started due to updating them and somehow it corrupted them
i noticed that with a couple of updates, too. so before i update, i make sure to delete the app on the iphone first, and then i reinstall the updated app.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 03:51 PM   #6
petermcphee
macrumors 6502a

I am having this problem with my 3gs. I am currently trying a restore (setting it up as a new phone). For me, the problem occurs when I turn the phone off and then back on again. When I do this, applications will open, and then close immediately. I have been able to temporarily fix the problem by installing another app from the app store. This fixes it until the phone is turned off and on again, at which point the problem occurs all over again.

It's quite frustrating, and I don't know what to do. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 06:57 PM   #7
-aggie-
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by petermcphee View Post
I am having this problem with my 3gs. I am currently trying a restore (setting it up as a new phone). For me, the problem occurs when I turn the phone off and then back on again. When I do this, applications will open, and then close immediately. I have been able to temporarily fix the problem by installing another app from the app store. This fixes it until the phone is turned off and on again, at which point the problem occurs all over again.

It's quite frustrating, and I don't know what to do. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
The adding an app is one of the fixes, so if that didn't work, then what you are currently doing (restoring as new) should fix it. Hopefully, you synced everything before, so you can get most back after the restore. Other fixes that people have tried are deleting an app (one app may be causing the issue), but this is a PITA trying to find the app. Others have tried deauthorizing and authorizing iTunes. Hope you get it resolved.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 01:49 PM   #8
petermcphee
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iphone.aggie View Post
The adding an app is one of the fixes, so if that didn't work, then what you are currently doing (restoring as new) should fix it. Hopefully, you synced everything before, so you can get most back after the restore. Other fixes that people have tried are deleting an app (one app may be causing the issue), but this is a PITA trying to find the app. Others have tried deauthorizing and authorizing iTunes. Hope you get it resolved.
Thank you for your reply. Adding an app would work as long as the phone remained on, but turning it off and on again would reproduce the problem. Setting the phone up as new appears to have solved things, and I remain cautiously optimistic.

As always, this forum was a great big help.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting