Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iToby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Hi

Could anyone help me? Been tearing my hair out for 2 days to try and get an application on actual device. I have followed all the processes to create a provisioning profile, and it's on my phone. I've paid my $99 to join the developer program.

I still get an error when trying to run the app. I've read so many posts about this, but I think possibly the problem relates to this...

When I open Organizer, I can see my device, and it says OS2.0 in the droplist, but underneath it says something like 'XCode does not have the software image to run this' or something. (Sorry, haven't got my mac at work today).

So my question is

1. When you want to use a device with xcode to test, do you have to install a specific development version of OS2 on the device? I am using a iPod touch, with OS2 on it, and itunes says I have latest version

2. Is there something I have to do to get xcode to recnognise my device is running OS2.0?

Long time programmer but new to Mac and itunes / iPod etc so please forgive any ignorance on my part.

Thanks

Grandpa Brian

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2008
Northern Ontario
Cannot get my Touch to work as a test device

I too seem unable to get my Touch to work as a test device.

I have followed all the steps (far too many in my opinion!) carefully and everything seems to be in order with the certificates and all but when I try to use it with one of my app projects it keeps giving me an "Unexpected error (0XE80000001)" message.

I wrote to Apple support days ago but no doubt they are swamped.

I do not understand why they have not allowed more sharing of information and code samples between registered developers.

tacoman667

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
If you have had the provisioning profile Earlier then July 11, you will need to redo it from scratch. Have you tried this?

Grandpa Brian

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2008
Northern Ontario
Tried it after July 11 - still no luck!

The iPhone just went on sale here in Canada July 11 and I picked it up that first day.

So after that, I tried to set up my older Touch as my test device.

I have gone through the procedure several times but no luck so far. My projects work just fine on the Simulator.

I'm almost at the point where I might buy a new Touch just to get past this point of frustration.

tacoman667

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
You may ned to "double-click" the provisioning file you downloaded from your App Portal of dev site. it should automatically integrate the profile into the code for you. Other then that I am at a loss as I haven't gotten to the point where I want to throw it on my iPhone yet as I still have some work to do.

Grandpa Brian

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2008
Northern Ontario
Problem Solved!

I finally got my Touch to work as a testing device.

It turns out I did do everything right with regards to setting up the certificates and all BUT...

I did NOT have my project "Bundle identifier" set up correctly in the project's Info.plist

It should look something like the following...
com.yourCompany.${Your_ProjectName:G345HH889} the last bit is the identifier that Apple assigns to you

For those of us who are tackling this sort of development for the first time, it does seem like a helluva lot of fiddly bits to make it work. But I can confirm that it is a thrill when you see your first app show up in the palm of your hand!

Thanks everyone and good luck.

iToby

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Grandpa Brian

Congratulations on getting yours working. I am still struggling.

Phoned Apple support but they basically hadn't a clue :(

Would you be prepared to post a screenshot of your pList file and your project info set up? (the one where you select the provisioning profile). This would be the most useful thing ever - I would actually have a clue what I am trying to make things look like....

I don't know if this would be too personal - but the problem I have is understanding what I should actually be putting where in the pList - I can't find anything about how to complete this part of the project.

This all feels like trying to solve a rubik's cube where one of the pieces has been put back in wrongly.

Grandpa Brian

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2008
Northern Ontario
Glad to share in a couple of days

I am traveling this weekend but when I get back I will post a few notes on the plist so you can see what worked for me.

But be advised that I am a newbie and no expert in these matters.

I too have not found much on this subject in the mountain of documentation provided by Apple. I only picked up a clue about it buried deep in an online discussion and a little light went off in this foggy brain of mine.

Check back later in the week,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.