Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Jan 3, 2004, 05:54 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Griffin cancels iFM iPod FM tuner accessory

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Griffin cancels iFM iPod FM tuner accessory

Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by arn
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Jan 3, 2004, 11:15 PM   #2
innervision
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to innervision
that sucks... i was going to buy one of those...
Old Jan 4, 2004, 12:28 AM   #3
MrMacMan
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to MrMacMan
Ouch... Thats tough... 3G models killed eh?

IM Me On AIM Already!
MrMacMan is offline   0
Old Jan 4, 2004, 12:39 AM   #4
SeaFox
macrumors 68000

Griffin cancels iFM iPod FM tuner accessory...

they decided it would be too popular and didn't want a repeat of the iTrip shipping fiasco.

c'mon, somebody say it:
This means new iPods with built-in FM tuners!
SeaFox is offline   0
Old Jan 4, 2004, 01:00 AM   #5
Kingsnapped
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
This means new iPods with built-in FM tuners!
There would be a lot of angry people out there if that happened.

Like me.

I thought that I would have to settle with no car playback when I got my brand new iPod on the 20th. If that's released, there will be a lot of people who bought an iPod with their Christmas money, or as a gift who will feel cheated by apple.
Kingsnapped is offline   0
Old Jan 4, 2004, 04:55 AM   #6
iJon
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingsnapped

Like me.

I thought that I would have to settle with no car playback when I got my brand new iPod on the 20th. If that's released, there will be a lot of people who bought an iPod with their Christmas money, or as a gift who will feel cheated by apple.
welcome to the world of apple and technology in general,

iJon
iJon is offline   0
Old Jan 4, 2004, 04:59 AM   #7
Ramsos
macrumors regular

^ So True.
Old Jan 4, 2004, 05:07 AM   #8
Wes
macrumors 68020

Send a message via ICQ to Wes Send a message via AIM to Wes Send a message via MSN to Wes Send a message via Yahoo to Wes
Oh no! I spent $400 on an iPod, Apple BETTER not upgrade their products! That's just cheating me! We have to hold back the industry 6 months while I get my money's worth!

</sarcasm> If that was how the tech industry worked, we'd be on 100mhz computers.
Wes is offline   0
Old Jan 4, 2004, 05:18 AM   #9
Scottgfx
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Like me.

You're right. I'm sick and tired of Apple releasing all this *new* crap. I have the 10GB 2nd generation iPod, and just imagine my seething anger when the 40GB models came out. I mean, How dare they! They shoud not have sold ANY iPods this Christmas, if they knew a new one was just around the corner. The consumer need to be protected from innovation like that!

Now, on a more rational and logical note...
What does an iPod with a tuner have to do with your car stereo? Did you mean FM Transmitter?
Old Jan 4, 2004, 05:32 AM   #10
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:

Like me.

What does an FM tuner have to do with playback in your car? This is not the FM transmitter to play your iPod through your car radio, it's a way to listen to radio ON your iPod.

As for an FM transmitter, I'd recommend a cassette adapter. At least here, way too hard to find an available frequency.
rdowns is offline   0
Old Jan 4, 2004, 06:00 AM   #11
Dreadnought
macrumors 68000

So, why couldn't they just release it for the 2nd and 1st generation iPods? I would buy one, I have a 2G. I have been waiting on such a product from the start!
Old Jan 4, 2004, 06:33 AM   #12
newnomad
macrumors member

integrated radio

I think it would much more appropriate to have DAB radio rather then FM radio on an ipod; But the situation is a bit divided, with Europe supporting it, and US choosing for propriatary (payed services) solutions. Unless apple also taps into this evolving market.... (include in .mac?) Maybe Apple could make an European Ipod with DAB, to balance out the Itunes music store delay for us
But most likely this will all be for the next generation ipods, together with firewire over airport....
newnomad is offline   0
Old Jan 4, 2004, 06:55 AM   #13
J-Squire
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottgfx
You're right. I'm sick and tired of Apple releasing all this *new* crap. I have the 10GB 2nd generation iPod, and just imagine my seething anger when the 40GB models came out. I mean, How dare they! They shoud not have sold ANY iPods this Christmas, if they knew a new one was just around the corner. The consumer need to be protected from innovation like that!
Well said! I would have to say that Kingsnapped's original post has to be one of the stupidest things I have ever heard!! People bought iPods at christmas because they are one of the hottest things on the planet. If they wanted an FM tuner, there are other MP3 players with that capability. Consumers typically understand that a new product may actually include more features than the one it replaces.
J-Squire is offline   0
Old Jan 4, 2004, 07:11 AM   #14
slowtreme
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Apple fans are the only people I know that FEAR new product releases. Always waiting for the next big item, while hoping nothing replaces something they own now. Users always being worries about resale value, instead of enjoying what they own NOW.

Be happy that Apple produces limited product lines which artificially inflates resale value. If something new comes out that you want to buy, you can unload your almost new item at an almost new price, and buy the new one.

Get over it.
Old Jan 4, 2004, 08:03 AM   #15
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadnought
So, why couldn't they just release it for the 2nd and 1st generation iPods? I would buy one, I have a 2G. I have been waiting on such a product from the start!
Pure speculation on my part, but I imagine that the bulk of all iPods sold are the 3rd generation and therefore, the bulk of the projected market.Why develop a product for an older design that is approaching obsolescence?
rdowns is offline   0
Old Jan 4, 2004, 08:14 AM   #16
Jerry Spoon
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Like me.

If apple does come out with a built in fm tuner, admit it, you're going to want that new model...so you'll dump your "old" model off before dust has had a chance to settle on in and invest a little more $$$ (because you probably didn't get quite what you paid for the old on) on the newer model.

I think apple is a bunch of freakin' geniuses.
Old Jan 4, 2004, 08:59 AM   #17
Ted13
macrumors 6502

That anti-inovation screed was pretty funny.

That said, I wish Apple would either provide themselves, or give assistamce to 3rd parties to provide:

1) Recording capabilty (good quality, stereo -- with the ability to plug in high quality external mikes). The iPod could completely take over the DAT market, which is currently mainly supported by musicians who need a high quality portable device to tape themselves.

2) FM radio receiver.

3) I DO NOT want a a FM transmitter: there is already a marvelous tool out there that works with 1 through 3G iPod's and it is called the line out/in. The problem is that the vast majority of car radios out there do not have a line in. However, I would never buy such crippleware, and with the explosion in MP3 players, I think that sooner or later car radio manufacturers will get religion and start including line in. In the meantime, there are cassette adapters...

Ted

Last edited by Ted13; Jan 4, 2004 at 09:01 AM.
Ted13 is offline   0
Old Jan 4, 2004, 09:15 AM   #18
zedwards
macrumors member

Quote:

Like me.

Please, it is amazing how whiny and spoiled people are when the GDP of countries in the world that are the price of the iPod. Chistmas to others is getting a piece of bread to eat, or living to their 30th birthday!

Anyways...sounds like Apple has plans for an FM tuner of their own.
zedwards is offline   0
Old Jan 4, 2004, 10:19 AM   #19
Raiden
macrumors regular

I have a 2G 10 Gig iPod, and if they updated the ipod so it has a FM transmitter and reciever, I would totally upgrade. One and a half years is a good ipod upgrade time if you ask me.

And all you christmas ipoders, dont complain. You still have a incredible ipod, no need to whine.
Raiden is offline   0
Old Jan 4, 2004, 10:21 AM   #20
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally posted by zedwards
Please, it is amazing how whiny and spoiled people are when the GDP of countries in the world that are the price of the iPod. Chistmas to others is getting a piece of bread to eat, or living to their 30th birthday!
We're here discussing Apple, its products and rumors. What the hell do conditions in third world countries have to do with this? Sorry, but the analogy just doesn't fly with me.
rdowns is offline   0
Old Jan 4, 2004, 10:59 AM   #21
greenstork
macrumors 6502a

Hopefully, this means that an FM radio receiver is built-in to next generation iPods. For that matter, AM radio too. All I really want to do on my iPod that I can't do right now is listen to baseball games, which are of course, on AM.
greenstork is offline   0
Old Jan 4, 2004, 11:11 AM   #22
Dippo
macrumors 65816

Unless I missed something, this isn't a rumor about Apple adding an FM tuner to the iPod!
Old Jan 4, 2004, 11:19 AM   #23
Gus
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to Gus
Quote:
Originally posted by rdowns
Pure speculation on my part, but I imagine that the bulk of all iPods sold are the 3rd generation and therefore, the bulk of the projected market.Why develop a product for an older design that is approaching obsolescence?
From what I understand from the post at ipodhacks.com, they had already spent the time and resources designing the 2G receiver, so that is a moot point.

From experience, I know that once Apple releases a new product in its grid (iBook, Powerbook, etc.), it completely removes mention of the older product, but the remotes for the 2G iPods were on there until recently. I wonder why Apple stopped selling them? Surely there are MANY 2G iPod owners out there who may need a replaccement or such someday.

Anyway...

Regards,
Gus
Old Jan 4, 2004, 11:22 AM   #24
mrl14
macrumors newbie

WTF, I sent in this info dammit! I got no credit!
mrl14 is offline   0
Old Jan 4, 2004, 11:30 AM   #25
tny
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted13
That anti-inovation screed was pretty funny.

That said, I wish Apple would either provide themselves, or give assistamce to 3rd parties to provide:

1) Recording capabilty (good quality, stereo -- with the ability to plug in high quality external mikes). The iPod could completely take over the DAT market, which is currently mainly supported by musicians who need a high quality portable device to tape themselves.

2) FM radio receiver.

3) I DO NOT want a a FM transmitter: there is already a marvelous tool out there that works with 1 through 3G iPod's and it is called the line out/in. The problem is that the vast majority of car radios out there do not have a line in. However, I would never buy such crippleware, and with the explosion in MP3 players, I think that sooner or later car radio manufacturers will get religion and start including line in. In the meantime, there are cassette adapters...

Ted
You've obviously never used the iTrip. Sound quality is about equal to good FM reception, in a very crowded spectrum. Only problem is occasional interference.
tny is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion