Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Yep, learned it the hard way with my old iPhone and all of my other small gadgets.

Couldn't understand why so much dust can get in there until I realized, the pocket acts like a balloon that pumps air in everytime I move or walk.

Now I don't notice anything on my new 3G after avoiding this. I'm hoping it stays this way. :)

schubes

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
British Columbia
Yep, learned it the hard way with my old iPhone and all of my other small gadgets.

Couldn't understand why so much dust can get in there until I realized, the pocket acts like a balloon that pumps air in everytime I move or walk.

Now I don't notice anything on my new 3G after avoiding this. I'm hoping it stays this way. :)

Define avoiding this...are you just not keeping it in your pocket or do you have a case or what?

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Define avoiding this...are you just not keeping it in your pocket or do you have a case or what?

What I meant was not to put it in your pocket at all.

It doesn't matter if you have a skin or a case on it. The pocket will still blow dust in it while you move around.

I suggest resisting the urge to put it in your pocket all the time.

It was a hard habit to break but I'm progressing.

Also, do not by any means, blow any dust (directly) on your phone. This can also transfer the dust inside. I did this with my digital SLR camera LCD. I was annoyed by the dust in-between the seems of the screen and the body of the camera so I tried blowing directly...and to my sadness, a bunch of particles spread across the inside of the LCD screen...arghh!!! :(

schubes

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
British Columbia
What I meant was not to put it in your pocket at all.

It doesn't matter if you have a skin or a case on it. The pocket will still blow dust in it while you move around.

I suggest resisting the urge to put it in your pocket.

It was a habit to break but I'm progressing.

Also, do not by any mean, blow any dust away from the phone. this can also transfer the dust inside. :)

Dang. Sure hope I don't get dust under the screen. Seems to be as debilitating (or more) than a screen scuff/scratch

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Dang. Sure hope I don't get dust under the screen. Seems to be as debilitating (or more) than a screen scuff/scratch

I sure hope not too. But this is really a concern now since Apple decided not to glue the glass and the LCD together on the 3G's.

Following my advice should lessen the chances.

One other thing: try to shield your phone on windy days and while in a vehicle with the windows open...you know why you should do this right? :)

thor79

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Chicago, IL
Probably depends on what kind of pants you are wearing. I wear jeans all the time...and I really only have to deal with lint. Hasn't been an issue so far and I carry my iPhone in my pocket all the time. Beats having a belt clip break on you as you exit a vehicle causing your phone to fly out and shatter on the ground. Had that happen with an old cheap phone...and I've been carrying my phones in my pocket ever since.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Probably depends on what kind of pants you are wearing. I wear jeans all the time...and I really only have to deal with lint. Hasn't been an issue so far and I carry my iPhone in my pocket all the time. Beats having a belt clip break on you as you exit a vehicle causing your phone to fly out and shatter on the ground. Had that happen with an old cheap phone...and I've been carrying my phones in my pocket ever since.

I mostly wear jeans myself and it still happened. Could you let us know in a few weeks if you get any dust on your screen? :)

Amblinman

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2007
I have no idea what you carry in your pockets, but I've carried my first gen iPhone in the pocket of my slacks or jeans for a year now and there isn't a speck of dust under the glass.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
I have no idea what you carry in your pockets, but I've carried my first gen iPhone in the pocket of my slacks or jeans for a year now and there isn't a speck of dust under the glass.

It's because the 1st gen iPhone's screen and LCD were glued together. The 3G's aren't, hence numerous reports of dust in the screen. :)

Dizle

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
The Beach
carried my 3g in my pocket since launch day.....no dust what so ever. If dust is getting in there I would try to get the iphone replaced as it should not be getting in there. I work in some very dusty places sometimes with dry wall dust which is very fine and gets all over the place....but not under my iphone screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.