Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 31, 2008, 12:16 PM   #1
SirReel
macrumors newbie

Any way to cancel a restore? 4 1/2 hours seems a bit much!

I have 3G iPhone and it recently got stuck on the apple screen. In the past a reset or restore fixed the problem. Only thing I can think of as being different this time is I upgraded to the new 7.7.1 iTunes. When I got my phone back to restore mode, I connected to iTunes and started up the process. Now 4 1/2 hours later it is still showing the Restoring iPhone from Backup popup in iTunes with about 1/2 of the progress complete. But I don't see it moving anymore. On the iPhone I have the Restore in Progress message showing the battery, but the something is happening icon (spinning hash marks) is kind of showing too. iPhone is super hot too. I'm thinking something is hung up somewhere...
Any ideas how to cancel the restore so I can try it again?
SirReel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 12:18 PM   #2
ubersalad
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirReel View Post
I have 3G iPhone and it recently got stuck on the apple screen. In the past a reset or restore fixed the problem. Only thing I can think of as being different this time is I upgraded to the new 7.7.1 iTunes. When I got my phone back to restore mode, I connected to iTunes and started up the process. Now 4 1/2 hours later it is still showing the Restoring iPhone from Backup popup in iTunes with about 1/2 of the progress complete. But I don't see it moving anymore. On the iPhone I have the Restore in Progress message showing the battery, but the something is happening icon (spinning hash marks) is kind of showing too. iPhone is super hot too. I'm thinking something is hung up somewhere...
The restoring part is probably done, right now it is just "re-installing" the applications you have on iTunes. If you must, try unplugging the USB cord and it should be working with apps it has installed so far. However, I must warn you, you may have to redo everything...
ubersalad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 12:21 PM   #3
SirReel
macrumors newbie

Nope, no restore, tried pulling the plug, but still gets stuck at apple screen... Arrgghhhh 2.0 is really quite a pain. Going to try it again now....
Old Jul 31, 2008, 12:22 PM   #4
FSUSem1noles
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to FSUSem1noles
Quote:
I think the only option would be to pull the usb cord, or try force quitting iTunes, did you bring up the force quit applications window, does it say if iTunes is unresponsive?
Old Jul 31, 2008, 12:23 PM   #5
ubersalad
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Nope, no restore, tried pulling the plug, but still gets stuck at apple screen... Arrgghhhh 2.0 is really quite a pain. Going to try it again now....
Ground for replacement, call Apple! =)

Perhaps you may want to delete all your apps or something...this way the restore won't be able to reinstall all the programs, which is the reason why is taking up bulk of your time.
ubersalad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2008, 01:33 PM   #6
SirReel
macrumors newbie

Yep made an appointment with a genius for tonight. Hopefully will get a new one.

hehehehe... nah, just kidding. I pulled the plug and had to force quit iTunes. Did another restore, but then setup as new phone instead of restoring from backup. All went fine and back in business. really needs to get this mess of 2.0 straightened out.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 02:50 PM   #7
spookybathtub
macrumors newbie

My brand new iPhone 3G has been "Restoring iPhone from backup..." for the last 30 minutes or so. I keep checking the disk activity in Activity Monitor, and it's still writing data at around 300KBps, so I know it's not frozen. It's a good thing I don't have anything to do today!
spookybathtub is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone