Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion

Old Jan 3, 2004, 11:16 PM   #1
///mdriver
macrumors member

I don't want a password

I set an administrative password for my computer, and now I want to disable it, how do I do this?
///mdriver is offline   0
Old Jan 4, 2004, 12:19 AM   #2
///mdriver
macrumors member

Ok, basicly, I want to change my master password, so that I don't have one.

The only thing I can do right now is change the master password. Even when I do this, the password for my screensaver stays as the original password.
Old Jan 4, 2004, 02:59 AM   #3
MoparShaha
macrumors 68000

I don't know if you can delete the password on the first admin account. If you erase the password on other accounts, it lets you leave it blank. I think you would run into problems without a password because everytime you install something, it requires a password. If you want to keep things simple, just do something like "1234".
MoparShaha is offline   0
Old Jan 4, 2004, 03:16 AM   #4
m4rc
macrumors 6502

The way you talk about the password on the screensaver, is that the thing thats annoying you? If so, it is easy to take this out so you just go straigth from the screensaver back to normal working mode. Not that I can remember how to do it, as I never have my screensaver password protected, but I'm sure someone on here will reply if thats your worry.

Also, it is better to have a password for the system, even if stupidly simple, like your name. Sometimes a little security is a good thing.

Marc
m4rc is offline   0
Old Jan 4, 2004, 06:08 AM   #5
Dreadnought
macrumors 68000

I once saw this documentary on tv, where they had stolen computers (Mac & PC's). They fenced it, the fencer opened the computer and made some kind of short circuit and all the passwords and securities where whipped out! So, never been keen on software security passwords!
Old Jan 4, 2004, 07:01 AM   #6
encro
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to encro Send a message via MSN to encro Send a message via Skype™ to encro
Welcome to the UNIX way of life, it's unavoidable. Come to terms with it and move along
encro is offline   0
Old Jan 4, 2004, 11:24 AM   #7
///mdriver
macrumors member

Since I have to have a password, I want to have my screensaver recognize the new password.
Old Jan 4, 2004, 11:27 AM   #8
///mdriver
macrumors member

Ok, I figured it out. I needed to change my individual account password, not just the master password.

Thanks Guys! Everything is under control now.
Old Jan 4, 2004, 01:55 PM   #9
mactastic
macrumors 68040

If you don't want a password, just create a second account that isn't an admin account, and don't create a password. Then just remember your original login and password for when you need to install software or do any other admin-only activities. Personally I don't find the password inconvienent at all.
Old Jan 4, 2004, 02:00 PM   #10
revenuee
macrumors 68020

I have an Admin account that doesn't need a password ... the only thing that needs a password is my root user account ... but since i only use that in dire situations, I just have the thing auto log-in ... and when i install something an it asks me for a password i just click okay with a blank password and there are no problems
Old Jan 4, 2004, 02:03 PM   #11
mactastic
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally posted by revenuee
I have an Admin account that doesn't need a password ... the only thing that needs a password is my root user account ... but since i only use that in dire situations, I just have the thing auto log-in ... and when i install something an it asks me for a password i just click okay with a blank password and there are no problems
IIRC, that only works if you create the account initially with no password. If you give it one at any point, you are stuck I believe.
Old Jan 4, 2004, 02:10 PM   #12
revenuee
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally posted by mactastic
IIRC, that only works if you create the account initially with no password. If you give it one at any point, you are stuck I believe.
Yes ... good point ... thats actually exactly what i did. --
Old Jan 4, 2004, 06:43 PM   #13
slowtreme
macrumors 6502

I removed the password from an account on my iBook, just went to change password and made it blank. apply and done.

Installing software in no issue, it pops up with the user/pass box, just hit enter and away you go.
Old Jan 4, 2004, 07:21 PM   #14
dylanemcgregor
macrumors member

I initially set up a password for both accounts on the Mac, but then erased them both. Now fast user switching is about 50-50 on if I will get the login password screen, or if I get logged on automatically. Any way to make that 100% auto?

-Dylan
dylanemcgregor is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion