Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Excellent news. I've been waiting for them to come out with the 19" LCD! I hope we see these in July/January. That will inch me closer to upgrading my comp. :)

Bradcoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2002
Northeast U.S.
Never lose the 15!!

I hope you don't imply that Apple does away with its 15" monitors for iMac and PowerMac machines. The cost of dropping the 15" from the Mac line would be tremendous. Prices would increase and even if it was only by $100 or so, people would be turned off and away. Keep 15" for the sheer cheapness of them.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Re: Never lose the 15!!

Originally posted by Bradcoe
I hope you don't imply that Apple does away with its 15" monitors for iMac and PowerMac machines. The cost of dropping the 15" from the Mac line would be tremendous. Prices would increase and even if it was only by $100 or so, people would be turned off and away. Keep 15" for the sheer cheapness of them.

I have to agree... My next Tower will probably have 2 15" screens, sure they're a bit small, but the price is just right. I don't see a problem with Apple putting a 19" screen in their lineup, but i think it'll spread 'em a bit thin, and then i can see the 15" being dropped.

that would be sad :(

pnw

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Oh joy, I'd been planning on getting 3 17" LCDs with my next Apple Desktop in 2003, but the 19" will be so much nicer. I'm wondering what the costs will run though? If they can reduce the price of the 17" and put the 19" around 1k that would be perfect. Although I don't see Apple doing that, more like 1,300 to 1,500.

Any way, its good news.

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Anyone interested in a 19" wide-screen format? Something more the shape of the 22" Cinema-wide or the Ti LCD.

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Originally posted by tfaz1
Anyone interested in a 19" wide-screen format? Something more the shape of the 22" Cinema-wide or the Ti LCD.

you bet. If you got the stuff I got the money...:cool:

teabgs

macrumors 68030
Jan 18, 2002
behind you
Originally posted by Hemingray

They don't got the stuff yet and I don't got the money... but since when has that ever stopped me. :D

yeah. I lied about having the money. I owe so much money from student loans and that numberis about to go up as I prepare to enter the 3rd year of expensive University life. :(

However I've been saving up for 2 years now for a new machine and have enough so that I can buy in July.

Though I'll spend more then I have, I plan on making it back with the machine by doing videography, so I can justify the expense. Plus, I want it :D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by tfaz1

Now this brings up an interesting question. I had mentioned this many weeks ago in another post, that if the 19" came out that it might be an extra wide 17", which wouldn't be bad. But I think I'd prefer a 19" at the 17" aspect ratio because it would be taller and have more pixels in general.

I'd be happy with either one though, and the wide screen 19" should be cheaper, that would be very cool. I'll have to figure out how to start working on the wife for the extra expense, probably won't get a new machine until 03, so I have just enough time to justify it.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Apple better not drop the 15 inch display. What happens if LCD prices do not go down for a long while? That means that the low end monitor will be the 17 inch display, at $1000. Or, better yet, let's say someone has very little workspace and is basically sitting right in front of a monitor.

I still think that Apple needs to keep the 15 inch display. Maybe if Apple used a 15 inch, 29 inch and a 23 inch there would be some colored variety: A cheap and compact display, A mid-range display, and a display that needs its own TV show.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Replying to wide screen monitors:

Before I do that, I meant to say that there would be three monitors if my suggestion follows through, 15, 17 , and 19. And, yes, I can count.

I think that wide screens are all right, as long as the screens are in a 16x10 ratio. If the ratio was 16x9 Apple would have to deal with some tough resolution screens and distortion may result. But I guess wide screens would be acceptable.

And I would expect the 19 inch display to have a higher resolution than the current 17 inch model. 1600x1200 is pushing it, however. That may bring the price up, if Apple can fit the pixels in there.

This kind of is a double post, but, then again, it isn't... :)

Jookbox

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2002
i'm guessing the screens will be 1200-1400. sub 1000 would be nice, but c'mon, this is apple.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
i dont see 1600x1200 coming in the 19". Probably just 1280 just like the 17, maybe a wierd one in between. Remember that the max on the 22" is only 1600x1024.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
sparkleytone, let's say Apple gets rid of the 22 inch display and uses the 23 inch display. That display has a much higher resolution than our old friend, the 22 inch.

What I am saying that if Apple can come out with a high resolution display for the 19 inch, I would be impressed. That is why I said 1600x1200 was pushing it.

Here is a rare speculation about the 19 inch monitor: Did you guys notice that on the 23 inch HD Display the Apple logo was a reflective silver, just like on the Xserve? I wonder if Apple will use that same type of theme with the 19 inch, since the current 15, 17 and 22 inch models use a graphite logo.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I think this article also points out the possibility of updated 17" monitors, since the current ones are well over a year old and use outdated technology.

A cheaper 17" with higher contrast ratio, faster response time and better brightness that's cheaper too will be needed for Apple to stay competitive with other display companies.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
The widescreen format of the 22" and 23" is the future...HD will eventually become the standard and I'm glad that Apple is offering those two monitors in that aspect ratio and hope that their future monitors are widescreen as well. Well, maybe not the 15", but a 19" widescreen would fall into a very desirable gap between the hard to justify 22" and the hard to be impressed by 17".

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon

have you seen the imac's apple logo?

Yeah, I know. It's silver.

That probably means that when Apple updates their monitors there would be a reflective Apple logo on it. I am using the original 15 inch LCD designed for the first G4 Powermacs and the Apple logo is graphite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.