Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Aug 1, 2008, 12:17 AM   #1
JackArc
macrumors regular

Properly tagging TV Shows

MacRumors community,

Recently purchased an Apple TV a few months ago and absolutely LOVE IT. It is hard to imagine life without it now. A few months ago before I purchased it, I ripped a few TV on DVD seasons onto my computer (Arrested Development, Entourage and HIMYM complete seasons).

I tagged them all manually, and they look okay within iTunes, but when I open them up in my Apple TV the episode numbers are all off, they are missing ratings, descriptions, etc and my OCDness tells me I must fix this ASAP

I used MetaX to tag all my ripped movies and they look great - its impossible to tell the difference between a movie I purchased in iTunes and a movie I ripped and tagged with MetaX

Is there a solution for TV shows?

Thank you!
Old Aug 1, 2008, 01:02 AM   #2
gadabout
macrumors member

i think appletv sorts by track number, not episode number, but i could be wrong.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 07:46 AM   #3
MikieMikie
macrumors 6502a

And the reason you don't want to tag your TV shows with MetaX is...?
MikieMikie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 09:23 AM   #4
spice weasel
macrumors 65816

You can also use Lostify to tag TV shows.
spice weasel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 09:57 AM   #5
KakaduDreamer
macrumors member

And the PC/Windows based equivalent of Lostify and MetaX is...?

<crickets chirping>

Yeah, that's what I thought. <sigh>

That's why I have to resort to manually tagging all my TV shows and Movies.
KakaduDreamer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 10:41 AM   #6
macworkerbee
macrumors 6502

Another vote for using Lostify, I find it much easier to use than MetaX for TV shows. I just pull up the episode list and description in wikipedia and then input the info. If you want to add artwork than just throw all of the tagged files into MetaX at the end and you should have a good result.
macworkerbee is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 10:46 AM   #7
AliensAreFuzzy
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to AliensAreFuzzy
Add another vote for Lostify. I personally use TV.com for descriptions, date, and production number info.

P.S. You rock for watching HIMYM
AliensAreFuzzy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 11:36 AM   #8
cherbert
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KakaduDreamer View Post
And the PC/Windows based equivalent of Lostify and MetaX is...?

<crickets chirping>

Yeah, that's what I thought. <sigh>

That's why I have to resort to manually tagging all my TV shows and Movies.
http://www.textzombie.com/videotag/

Great Windows Program to tag TV Shows / Movies and their Cover Art. Its quite new but Its the best I have found and love it.
MacBook Pro 15" 8gb Ram
cherbert is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 01:35 PM   #9
JackArc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliensAreFuzzy View Post
Add another vote for Lostify. I personally use TV.com for descriptions, date, and production number info.

P.S. You rock for watching HIMYM
HIMYM is hilarious. Thanks for the input everyone, downloaded Lostify, trying out now.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 01:58 PM   #10
KakaduDreamer
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherbert View Post
http://www.textzombie.com/videotag/

Great Windows Program to tag TV Shows / Movies and their Cover Art. Its quite new but Its the best I have found and love it.
Thanks for the heads up on this one -- first I've heard of it! I'm going to go try it out right now..
KakaduDreamer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 02:10 PM   #11
Scarpad
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by KakaduDreamer View Post
Thanks for the heads up on this one -- first I've heard of it! I'm going to go try it out right now..
Yeah thanks I was using Tagger but thats stopped development and sometimes crashes. This seems to work nice but has no provision for adding Actors, still pretty nice.
Scarpad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2008, 03:26 PM   #12
unknowng
macrumors member

I've tried this, but everytime I write the file and try to import it into iTunes, the import works fine, but when I try to play the file it locks up and I have to kill iTunes. Anyone else get this problem?
unknowng is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 05:58 AM   #13
Alith
macrumors regular

My OCDness also failed to cope with bad TV organisation, especially when TV Shows that I had purchased on AppleTV were listing episodes alphabetically!!

I found that MetaX worked just as good for TVShows as Movies. The sorting tab was the most important and if the episodes had different titles, instead of just episode 1,2 etc. then I would have to manually plug in 1, 2, 3.. into the sorting field. That kept the level of organisation without having episode numbers visible whilst browsing media.

Are you definitely switching the media type to TV Show in MetaX? I found that there was a drop down list to sort media into Movies, TV, Music Video etc. which then changes the fields.
Alith is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2011, 05:06 PM   #14
spblat
macrumors 6502a

Necroposting a little here. MetaX hasn't been updated in a couple of years, Lostify seems abandoned.

MetaX 2.4.6 seems promising, but has some bugs that make it hard to work with.

Set video kind of selected is neat, but doesn't write changes to files: if you add a file tagged with this script to another iTunes library you're out of luck, it just shows up as a movie.

What do you use nowadays to make persistent changes to TV show metadata in iTunes?
Old Mar 29, 2011, 05:54 PM   #15
P Mentior
macrumors regular

I use iFlicks. I think that its interface is a lot nicer than MetaX and it has been great for all my movies and TV shows. The only problem I have is that it is OS X only and all my ripping, encoding, and library storage is done on a Windows box so I have to transfer stuff back and forth between 2 machines. I still haven't found a good Windows substitute.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 06:33 PM   #16
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030

I have been using Identify 2 for all of my tagging needs. It works well I have used it on over 600 DVD's and over 1,100 TV shows.

I also use playlist folders and smart list in iTunes to keep my TV shows organized.
Old Mar 29, 2011, 10:11 PM   #17
spblat
macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys. It appears that iDentify and iFlicks are the only games in town. iDentify is working pretty well, but I'm having a really hard time getting it to tag my 2004 Battlestar Galactica files properly.

EDIT: Operator error. BSG is 2003. Bought iDentify in Mac App store and reviewed with 5 stars. Total win.

Last edited by spblat; Mar 29, 2011 at 11:05 PM.
spblat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2011, 03:11 PM   #18
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by spblat View Post
Thanks guys. It appears that iDentify and iFlicks are the only games in town. iDentify is working pretty well, but I'm having a really hard time getting it to tag my 2004 Battlestar Galactica files properly.

EDIT: Operator error. BSG is 2003. Bought iDentify in Mac App store and reviewed with 5 stars. Total win.
good to hear, i have had great luck identify.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 07:17 AM   #19
ayzee
macrumors 6502a

Identify is the champion tagger IMO

If your having problems getting certain tv shows tagged, go to thetvdb.com and search for your show. Once you find it change your tv shows file names, season numbers etc, appropriately to match the data on that site, and because identify uses that website it should now find the meta data.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 03:24 PM   #20
Frankydan100
macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I use filebot for mac it grabs all data from tvdr.com and imdb among others. I use plex though as a media server for my jailbroke atv 2! And it's simply awesome, gets all the artwork and info etc! Looks wicked.

Last edited by Frankydan100; Mar 31, 2011 at 03:25 PM.
Frankydan100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2011, 04:08 PM   #21
sampdoria
macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I use Subler for metadata on tv shows which also gets from thetvdb.com. Works great for movies too. Simple GUI and reliable.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater