Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Aug 1, 2008, 12:17 PM   #1
paulold
macrumors 6502

stuck in a restore loop - please help

I updated my 1st Gen iPhone to 2.0 on the day it was released. Since then I have purchased a bunch of programs and have synced/backed-up my iPhone many times. I never tried restoring until today.

I decided to restore because my iPhone and iTunes have been acting strangely whenever I sync. First off, my iPhone never opens iTunes when I plug it in. I have to open iTunes myself. And then sometimes my iPhone won't show up in my iTunes but usually it does. But it will start to sync and then poof - the syncing on iTunes stops, the iPhone no longer appears in iTunes and yet my iPhone is showing the sync screen. I have to slide to stop the sync and try again.

Sometimes when I sync, iTunes will appear to be syncing but after a minute my iPhone returns to its home screen. So I can't tell if it's syncing or not. I thought with the update to iTunes that things might improve but no luck. Still doesn't work. I also have had the problem of having application updates noted on my iPhone even though iTunes supposedly downloaded and installed them all. Plus I get some error messages when it tries to install the updates. I should also mention that my iTunes runs a backup of the iPhone almost every time I try to sync, which takes forever.

So I decided it's time I tried to restore to see if that will help. I did so and it took a really long time (over an hour) and I was encouraged that even though it took a long time, it never stopped mid-restore and the iPhone screen kept showing the Restore in Progress screen. But once the first try was done, my iTunes told me that one of the applications could not be updated because of some error. My iPhone was back to functioning with everything installed and it was showing one application update on the App Store icon (when there used to be a bunch more).

But the biggest problem is my iTunes wants to restore it again. I can either choose to setup a new iPhone (which I tried and I end up with an empty iPhone - no music, text, etc) or restore from the last backup. When I chose to restore again, it simply goes thru the restore process again which takes forever and again asks if I want to set up a new phone or restore from backup. So I am stuck in a restore loop. My phone appears to be fine in that I have all my music, contacts, text messages, etc. But when I connect it to iTunes, I don't get to sync like normal - instead I get the setup screen where all I can do is setup a new phone or restore from backup. How do I get past this????

Any advice would be most appreciated. I started working on this restore at 8 am and it's now 1:15. I'm quite fed up with it. I think I will hold off another attempt so I can do other stuff without tying up my phone but I need help to get things back to normal, as they were before I upgraded to 2.0.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 12:19 PM   #2
TEG
macrumors 604

Send a message via ICQ to TEG Send a message via AIM to TEG Send a message via MSN to TEG Send a message via Yahoo to TEG Send a message via Skype™ to TEG
Call AppleCare and get them to walk you through the process of removing everything of iTunes and reinstalling. I think your problem might be the Mobile Devices framework which is causing your problems.

TEG
Old Aug 1, 2008, 12:52 PM   #3
paulold
macrumors 6502

I am on hold with Apple Care now - thanks.

Also, I just discovered that while I have my text messages, voicemails, applications and contacts, I don't have my ringtones or my music/vids/photos, except for the photos in my Camera Roll.

Last edited by paulold; Aug 1, 2008 at 01:00 PM.
paulold is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 04:36 PM   #4
redman042
macrumors 65816

Related question - I'm an iPhone newbie. If I wipe and restore my iPhone, does it reinstall all the apps, settings, saved mail, photos, etc. during the restore? In other words, does it end up the same as before the restore?

I let the backups run each time I sync. I have Exchange sync set up to my company server.

I just want to get a better understanding of how backup/restore works.
redman042 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 04:52 PM   #5
NiroshanMan
macrumors 6502

You aren't in a restore loop, this happens to me also. So i restored my iPhone and then it asked me to choose to setup as a new iPhone or backup, i chose backup cause i wanted all my texts back on there. After it took a while to restore the back up it connected to iTunes and asked me again the same thing (like yours). What i did is just click setup as new iPhone, now your iPhone is backed up and ready to go. Even though it says setup as a new iPhone the second time it will keep it backed up and everything will be on there, all you have to do is resync your music, videos and apps. hope this helps
NiroshanMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 04:56 PM   #6
pyrodex
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to pyrodex Send a message via Skype™ to pyrodex
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiroshanMan View Post
You aren't in a restore loop, this happens to me also. So i restored my iPhone and then it asked me to choose to setup as a new iPhone or backup, i chose backup cause i wanted all my texts back on there. After it took a while to restore the back up it connected to iTunes and asked me again the same thing (like yours). What i did is just click setup as new iPhone, now your iPhone is backed up and ready to go. Even though it says setup as a new iPhone the second time it will keep it backed up and everything will be on there, all you have to do is resync your music, videos and apps. hope this helps
I'm experiencing this same thing with a replacement 3G iPhone I got today and can confirm this is the case. I was an idiot the first time and did a second restore... boring then said screw this and did setup new iPhone.
pyrodex is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone