Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After an unusual sequence of events, Nullriver, Inc.'s NetShare app has reappeared on the iTunes App Store.

The $9.99 application promises to allow you to share your iPhone's network connection with your computer.Share your iPhone's EDGE or 3G Internet connection with your computer using NetShare. NetShare provides a SOCKS5 proxy for your computer to connect to.The application appeared briefly last night but was pulled for unknown reasons. Note that the tethering application does not appear to work with all traffic (such as mail, AIM requires configuration), but does work for Safari web browsing. The App is available in iTunes: App Store link.

Screenshots of the instructions were posted in our original story and a forum user has written up a detailed tutorial.

Notes: To get Firefox or Camino working, you can follow these instructions. It is reportedly possible to route all network traffic through the iPhone, but may require another application.

Notes 2: Windows XP instructions.

Update: NetShare has again been removed from the App Store without explanation from Apple.

Article Link: NetShare iPhone Tethering App Reappears in App Store [Updated]

Last edited:

mrtravel123

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2007
IF this tethering works... maybe I should reconsider the 3G iPhone! I'd love to get rid of my home DSL... and go with just tethering for my MB's internet access. Then again, I'll wait to see if this really works, is easy, has good speeds, etc.

Vaphoron

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2004
Maryland
I don't have an iPhone yet but I'm glad this app is back because I'm sure I'll get it once I move up from my iPod Touch.

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2007
And my Mac to buy this and sync to my iPhone isn't with me at the moment. Hopefully it comes up on the mobile App store, this is seriously useful for me. :(

It doesn't appear in the AppStore on my iPhone.

If you read the article, it's only available via direct link at the moment.

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
I'd love to get this too but what about AT&T? If it's now allowed, i'd be afraid of some large bill. I'd be the one to get caught too. This is kinda like an app that would allow you to share your phone line with another phone (so someone else could use it) without them knowing. Billed for one user.

jellis

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2006
in the itunes appstore it looks like it is now 12.99 but on my iphone it shows up as 9.99. In case anyone wants to save a few bucks before it is changed.

reelbgpunk

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2008
tzones?

Does anyone know if this will work with T-mobile tzones or is that asking too much? I realize it would be very slow but could be good in a pinch.

WillJS

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2007
in the itunes appstore it looks like it is now 12.99 but on my iphone it shows up as 9.99. In case anyone wants to save a few bucks before it is changed.

This App shows up on your iPhone's mobile App Store?

avboy

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2007
Will this provide a "real" internet connection to your computer?

I am not sure what a socks5 proxy is... can someone explain? Is this just a web proxy to proxy http requests?

Or, can I run a vpn client on PC,
do file sharing, ssh, and the whole ball of wax?

stukdog

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2004
Something tells me there are going to be a lot of people buying it this morning. Brilliant marketing scheme? Doubt it.

I'm grabbing it anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.