Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 1, 2008, 03:05 PM   #1
Jshwon
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
iPhone contact picture size

I prefer to have my contacts picture small like in the ads so when they call the picture doesn't take up the whole screen. But it seems the only way to accomplish this is by adding the picture to a contact on your computer then syncing your contacts to the phone. This I think is pretty lame. I wish there was a way to have the photos that are already on your phone sized this way when adding them to a contact.

It is deceiving because in the the Mobile Me tutorial the guy adds a photo to a contact and when she calls it shows the small picture.

Another thing in the Mobile Me tutorial is that he gets an email to a restaurant and it is a link that takes him to google maps. If it were a hyper link or something I'm sure it would have taken him to the google website. How is that done? Is it just something they did to show off google maps?
__________________
24" iMac 2.4Ghz 320G 4GB Ram ~ 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0Ghz ~32G iPhone 3G S⃣

Last edited by Jshwon; Aug 1, 2008 at 03:11 PM.
Jshwon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 05:10 PM   #2
Small White Car
macrumors G3
 
Small White Car's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Washington DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshwon View Post
Another thing in the Mobile Me tutorial is that he gets an email to a restaurant and it is a link that takes him to google maps. If it were a hyper link or something I'm sure it would have taken him to the google website. How is that done?
When you click a google-maps link on the iPhone it takes you to the maps app. How is it done? The computer knows it's a google maps link.

It's the same thing with YouTube. Links to YouTube videos take you to the YouTube app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshwon View Post
But it seems the only way to accomplish this is by adding the picture to a contact on your computer then syncing your contacts to the phone. This I think is pretty lame.
This is how I've always done it. Seems far easier (to me) to do it right where I have all my photos (and where I can search them by name), rather than copying them all to the iPhone and sliding through them with my finger forever looking for the right one.

I know that doesn't answer your question. The answer is, that's just the way it works. Do it on the computer if you want the small pictures. (Although I can't figure out WHY the photo sizes are different either...makes no sense.)
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2008, 05:36 PM   #3
Jshwon
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
This is how I've always done it. Seems far easier (to me) to do it right where I have all my photos (and where I can search them by name), rather than copying them all to the iPhone and sliding through them with my finger forever looking for the right one.

I know that doesn't answer your question. The answer is, that's just the way it works. Do it on the computer if you want the small pictures. (Although I can't figure out WHY the photo sizes are different either...makes no sense.)
Yeah I have no problem doing that it would just be nice to do it for pictures you've taken with the iPhone. Meaning I don't have pics of all my friends/family and snapping a quick pic for their contact would be nice.

Thanks,
__________________
24" iMac 2.4Ghz 320G 4GB Ram ~ 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0Ghz ~32G iPhone 3G S⃣
Jshwon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2008, 07:14 AM   #4
darhorn
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
whats annoying is i CANNOT get a small picture

added some pictures to some contacts in ichat/address book, synced the contacts, and they appear large on the screen.

these were icon (icns) files, so the image is a large square when a person calls. there has to be some sort of size setting for an image in order for it to appear correctly.

D

update: by changing the contact pics to 48x48, they appear small on the iphone.

Last edited by darhorn; Nov 10, 2008 at 07:28 AM.
darhorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 08:13 AM   #5
btbrossard
macrumors 6502a
 
btbrossard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicagoland
I size my pictures to 240 x 240 and they appear as small icons on the phone screen when making a call.

In the manual, it states that if they are "low resolution" they will appear as a small thumnail of the photo instead of taking up the whole screen.

BTW, I add my photos using MobileMe.
btbrossard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:23 AM   #6
darhorn
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
will try that size.... i know 48x48 works, but wanted to get it a bit better

hard to say exactly WHAT resolution is "low resolution"
darhorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:25 AM   #7
RubioCTEM
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Provo, UT (originally from Miami, FL)
Send a message via AIM to RubioCTEM Send a message via Skype™ to RubioCTEM
Ok, I have the opposite problem. I want the contacts to take up my whole screen when I get a call instead of the small little picture. Call me crazy, but I think it's cool.

So does anyone know how to size the picture in address book to get it to appear BIG when someone calls you on the phone?

thanks,
Will
RubioCTEM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2008, 12:38 AM   #8
btbrossard
macrumors 6502a
 
btbrossard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubioCTEM View Post
Ok, I have the opposite problem. I want the contacts to take up my whole screen when I get a call instead of the small little picture. Call me crazy, but I think it's cool.

So does anyone know how to size the picture in address book to get it to appear BIG when someone calls you on the phone?

thanks,
Will
Make sure your photo has a resolution higher than that of the iPhone's display and you photo should go full screen (larger than 480x320).
btbrossard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012, 03:23 PM   #9
MrsHollins
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2012
You can take a screen shot in your photos app of the thumbnail pic and reassign it to the same contact and it will be bigger. Hope this helps!
MrsHollins is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Contact Picture fjfjfjfj iOS 7 0 Sep 19, 2013 10:19 AM
iMovie 'picture in picture' image size question shuffles Mac Basics and Help 6 Jan 18, 2013 11:48 AM
Smaller picture file size? Mtrell iPhone 1 Oct 28, 2012 10:08 AM
iPhone 5 contact/caller id photo size memoriess iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Sep 21, 2012 07:46 AM
iPhone contact picture Hyder02 iPhone 4 Jul 29, 2012 10:42 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:30 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC