Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scotty96LSC

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I have really started enjoying whiskey over the last few years. According to some industry experts, they now see it fast becoming the new social drink and profits indicate this. Bourbon and whiskey companies are seeing accelerated growth in recent years because of the cost of other beverages.
So what is your favorites?
Here is mine.
crown.jpg

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I try to stick with either smooth Irish whiskeys or single malt scotches. The Macallan 12-year is my personal favourite, seconded by the Talisker 10 year.

I have a bit of a Single malt collection, and those two are at the top. The Balvenie makes a very good one (well, several) also. Single malts can be pricey if you want one worth it's salt, but they are oh-so-worth-it!

I would put them in this order:

1. Macallan 12 year
2. Talisker 10 year
3. Balvenie 12 and 15 years
4. Glenmorangie 10 year? This is a really light, candy-like malt. Ideal for first-timers, really.

Although every once in a while I get a hankering for Laphroaig (the only spirit legal during the Prohibition due to it's 'medicinal' taste, so I've heard).

Reactions: kryten3000

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2003
EWWWWW… why would you torture yourself… (Crown royal is horrid)

Give me a single malt scotch I am good

Reactions: xnu

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I know there is better stuff out there but as of yet it hasn't crossed my palette.

I have to agree I'm kind of curiously listening also... coming from Cognac, which I quite like (pretty much any cognac, although I am not a big Rémy Martin fan), I find American whiskey to be very rough and have a bad aftertaste. The scotch I've tried has been generally better, but I have not tried that many different ones.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
I usually drink irish whiskeys. Jamesons is my everyday whiskey, and my housemates bought me a bottle Jamesons 18 year old for my birthday which was absolutely delicious. Bushmills 10 year old is also very good (regular bushmills is fine for everyday whiskey too).

Among American Whiskeys, Wild Turkey can be quite good, Makers Mark is good, I can't stand Jack Daniels.

I had a Scotch called Speyside (that was the brand name if I recall correctly, not just the area it was from) and it was really excellent. Generally, I'm not a huge fan of scotch. The ones I have liked tend to be light on the Peetiness.

Sorry, crown royal is absolutely undrinkable. I would love to try more whiskeys from all over the world, so I'm looking forward to seeing more of what people post in this thread that I might give a shot.

scotty96LSC

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I have to agree I'm kind of curiously listening also... coming from Cognac, which I quite like (pretty much any cognac, although I am not a big Rémy Martin fan), I find American whiskey to be very rough and have a bad aftertaste. The scotch I've tried has been generally better, but I have not tried that many different ones.

With that said, I watched a show on the History Channel about Whiskey and they did a 5-minute piece on a Colorado Whiskey that the so-called experts really liked. I have looked for it at the Class 6 Store on the Air Force Base but as of yet have not found it.

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
Favourite whiskey is Jack Daniels
Favourite whisky is Johnnie Walker Blue Label (for those very special moments) but as an normal drink a nice single malt (don't mind which brand)

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
The Balvenie Doublewood is my usual

Nice choice!
Have you ever had any of their cask strength samples?

I'm a big Balvenie fan.

Portwood if superb as is their Founder's Reserve.

My other favourites are:

Oban
Jura Superstition
Talisker
Old Poultney
Highland Park

I cannot stand Islay whiskies.

I'm not too keen on Whiskey either.

Jack Daniels is a nice Bourbon.

steveza

macrumors 68000
Feb 20, 2008
UK
Johnnie Walker Blue is my favourite but I also have a bottle of Chivas Regal 18 yo in the drinks cupboard right now.

Agree with the concept of Jameson for casual drinking along with any single malt.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
Favourite whiskey is Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels is a nice Bourbon.

I can't stand Jack Daniel's. I find it harsh and one-dimensional. In my opinion, it's priced at more than twice its value. Intelligent people disagree, however. I'm a perfectionist when it comes to whiskey and tequila, so I can imagine that people would find it good while thinking other whiskeys are better. What I don't understand is the sheer quantity of people who think Jack Daniel's is the best, even when confronted with better.

Jack Daniel's is NOT bourbon. It's Tennessee whiskey. Tennessee whiskey goes through the "Lincoln County Process", in which it is filtered through maple charcoal before aging in barrels.

My favourites? In order of preference:
  • 1792 Ridgemont Reserve, by Barton Brands distillery
  • Knob Creek, by Jim Beam distillery
  • Woodfod Reserve by its eponymous distillery

Also, McMenamins' Edgefield Distillery makes a fine bourbon called Hoghshead Whiskey. I've only had it once, however. It is VERY expensive at the bar ($7 for a whiskey on the rocks) and I haven't had any opportunities to go to the distillery and purchase it at retail (a more reasonable $32 per bottle).

Finally, Black Velvet makes a passable whiskey & water if I'm at a bar and don't feel like getting soaked when the tab comes 'round.

Reactions: Fuith

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
. It is VERY expensive at the bar ($7 for a whiskey on the rocks) and I haven't had any opportunities to go to the distillery and purchase it at retail (a more reasonable $32 per bottle).

$7 is what a single JD would cost in an averagely priced pub over here. I had a single Balvenie Portwood in a pub in London a few years back and it was £12 ($23) A bottle costs around £70.

fotografica

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Boston
For single malts
Talisker
Lagavulin
Glenmorangie
Laphroaig
Macallan (their 18yo is one of the finest liquids I've ever consumed)
Some of the Bowmores are nice as well

Bourbon
Woodford's Reserve

Irish Whiskey
Jameson
Tyrconnell

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
The Balvenie Doublewood is my usual
I bought my father a bottle of that for Christmas.
Jack Daniel's is NOT bourbon. It's Tennessee whiskey. Tennessee whiskey goes through the "Lincoln County Process", in which it is filtered through maple charcoal before aging in barrels.

I get annoyed whenever I see it listed under bourbon at restaurants. Personally, I prefer George Dickel to Jack Daniels.
I'll take Maker's Mark ahead of both of them though.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Some of the Bowmores are nice as well

It's funny - I don't generally mind Islay malts, but Bowmore is one I really just don't have a taste for. Laphroaig is better imo...at least for my palette.

Has anyone tried the Balvenie 17 New Wood? I bought a bottle, but haven't opened it yet because it's a limited run. Just wondering if it really is what they say it is...

No one's mentioned Bushmill's yet? Bushmills and Jamesons are the best Irish whiskeys you can find.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.