Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobsugar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
My computer was recently stolen and I had to buy a new one. I am not trying to see if there is a way to take my contacts, songs, pictures that are on my iphone and put them onto my new computer.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Contacts should sync back to the new computer because iTunes will see the 'new' contacts on the phone and not your computer.

For photos and music, you'd have to jailbreak your phone to get access to the filesystem.

russellelly

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2006
Glasgow, UK
Contacts should sync back to the new computer because iTunes will see the 'new' contacts on the phone and not your computer.

Can anyone confirm this is definitely the case on Mac OS too? I've had to reinstall OSX so don't want to delete all my contacts when I connect to what I'd guess the iPhone will see as a 'new' computer. I can write them all down manually as a last resort, but I'd really rather not!

mouchoir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
London, UK

For photos and music, you'd have to jailbreak your phone to get access to the filesystem.

For photos, iPhoto will see your iPhone as a 'device' and let you import the photos from your iPhone.

And I've not tried, but it may be possible to use a free app like 'senuti' to copy the music from you iPhone back into iTunes, as you can on regular iPods.

So there may not be a need to Jailbreak at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.