Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

audi25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2003
CA
how do i set up a firewire lan between mac and pc. im on osx panther and the pc is xp. thanks.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
i wouldn't make a firewire lan .... i would just get a crossover cable to connect them its much easier and there is better documentation. I know osx has an IP over FW protocol in panther ... but i don't know how that might interface with windows

audi25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2003
CA
not sure. i just want to lan between mac and pc. what is the best way and how do i do it. thanks

audi25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2003
CA
i wanna try to do ip over firewire i can set an ip address on the pc but i cant on the mac, i dont know how.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Yeah you can make a lan with a crossover cable, its probably easier to connect to the mac from the PC than from the Mac to the PC in panther ... then you can just drag and drop your files or play a game very easily

what are the goals of your lan connection? If its file transfers this is certinaly a good way to go.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
You might just want to get a cheapo router if you need regular access between machines. Plus both could use the internet at the same time. Otherwise I'd get a crossover cable.

audi25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2003
CA
i wanna transfer large amounts of files. thats why i wanna use firewire. how do i set this up between the pc and mac.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
What I've seen looks like OS 10.2.5 or higher is required to use IP-over-Firewire. I think you are out of luck. What kind of mac do you have? Does it have a gigabit ethernet connection?

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
Your best bet is to download the trial version of MacDrive. This will enable you to read a mac formated disk. Install it, turn on your mac while holding the "t" key, once it starts up in target disk mode, connect it to the PC and your all set.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
If all you need to do to make this work is assign the Mac an IP address, then here's how to do it:

1. Go to the "System Preferences" application in the Apple Menu at the top right of the screen.
2. Click on the "Network" icon in System Preferences
3. Select "Network Port Configurations" from the drop-down list, then click on the "New..." button.
4. A window will appear. In it, select the Built-in Firewire interface and then call the new network port whatever you like.
5. In the "Show:" drop-down menu, select the interface you just created. In that window, you can change the IP address, subnet mask, DNS settings, etc.

These instructions assume you are running OS 10.3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.