Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KettyKrueger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
UK
Hi All

I've a got a Samsung VP-HMX10 which records video as an mp4 [compressed] but it looks pretty awesome on my 40" tv.

Now, I want to edit my footage using iMovie [version 8 I think] but when I import the raw footage it's a bit of a nightmare to edit, especially longer videos.

I've been told to convert the footage first with MPEG Streamclip but I'm unsure which settings to use. I want the best quality, file size is not an issue. Anyone got any idea what setting(s) to use?

Also, when I export the movie with iMovie the best resolution it lets my use is 940x540, how can I export at full res?

One last thing, the camcorder records at 50fps, will I need to change this to 25fps?? Saying that, when I connected the amcorder directly to my TV (Sony Bravia D3500) it played fine.

Many thanks in advance.

bsheridan

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
Have you ever used streamclip before? Any more questions just ask

940 x 540 is a preset on streamclip. (it says Apple TV 940 x 540 [HD])

There is also the preset Apple TV 1280 x 720 HD

I'd click 1 of those presets, click multipass, and put the quality bar to 100%.
Be aware that if you do this on the iPod setting ie- much less quality, it can take upwards of 3hrs for a 2hr film.So it'll be probably upwards of 6hrs for Apple TV.

If I were you, I'd select a small part of the recording, say a minute or so, and test out the settings on that. That way you wont have to sit through a complete encode before you realize you don't like it.

KettyKrueger

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 17, 2007
UK
Many thanks for the reply!

I've used Streamclip a couple of times, mainly for other camcorder clips. I used it to convert the camcorder mp4 files into DVPRO50 so I could edit them easily in iMovie but I wasn't sure if those were the best settings to use.

If the original recording is at 50fps, should I leave that or change it to 25fps??

Thanks again.

bsheridan

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
well, tv uses 30fps and film (/dvd?) uses 24fps so its a matter of choice. 50fps is definitely more than enough (unless in your editing you're doing alot of slow motion stuff).
I would choose 30fps. It may also speed up the encoding time.

Normojo

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2008
Samsung Frustration

I have been trying all day to find a solution to enable my Mac Mini with 10.5.4 Intel processor to "see" the files from a Samsung SC-X10 Video Camera. The Mac thinks the camera is a jump drive which is fine. The Mac thinks the files are .avi, but the documentation says they are MPEG-4 ASP. I think a Samsung header may be an issue? The audio compression is ADPCM. So far:

1. I can't get QuickTime Pro with 3ivX MPEG-4 to play the video which is supposed to work on Intel processors. It only plays audio and nothing seems to change that including Perian and Xvid in addition to 3ivX.
2. iMovie08 sees the .avi and will not permit import, the files are grey and will no therefore open.
3. My first try at MPEG_Streamclip seemed on Preview to produce video with no audio.

Any help other than buy a SONY would be appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.