Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stcroixsailor

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2006
I have a Macbook, and it was running slow and wouldn't go away after I force quit the affected applications. So I tried to restart - and it didn't do anything. So I held the power button down. Then when I tried to reboot it, the gray screen comes up (without the apple logo or the little spinny thing) and just stays there. Nothing happens. Except the fan goes on.

Ive tried rebooting multiple times... Even holding the power button down for 10 seconds until the tone doesnt work.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
I have a Macbook, and it was running slow and wouldn't go away after I force quit the affected applications. So I tried to restart - and it didn't do anything. So I held the power button down. Then when I tried to reboot it, the gray screen comes up (without the apple logo or the little spinny thing) and just stays there. Nothing happens. Except the fan goes on.

Ive tried rebooting multiple times... Even holding the power button down for 10 seconds until the tone doesnt work.

Try holding down the "Option" key when it boots, it should bring up your OS X HD. Click on it and try to boot. If that still doesnt work, insert your OS X CD (Restore CDs) and hold down the "C" key and run the OS X installer. When it gets to the Choose your Language thing, click on Disk Utility at the top (near the Apple sign) and run the Verify test. If it still doesnt work, you may need to restore your MacBook, hope you have all your stuff backed up on an external HD.

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale

Also, when you restart if you have anything plugged in via USB, phone or anything unplug them..

direct from the apple website:
You see a blank, gray screen

1. Make sure the latest firmware for your computer is installed. Check Apple Downloads for the latest versions.
2. Disconnect all peripheral devices, except for the Apple keyboard and mouse. This includes ADB, serial, USB, FireWire, SCSI, and PCMCIA devices. If this resolves the issue, connect one device at a time, restarting after each one, until you've determined which device is causing the issue.
3. Remove third-party hardware upgrades such as memory (RAM), microprocessor upgrade cards, and PCI cards. If this resolves the issue, add back one item at a time, restarting after each one, to isolate the issue. Note: Apple does not provide technical support for Mac OS X when used with third-party microprocessor upgrade cards.
4. Start up from your Mac OS X installation disc and check the hard disk with Disk Utility or, if necessary, fsck.
5. If you are comfortable doing so, reset your computer's Power Management Unit. Specific directions are available elsewhere in the Knowledge Base.
6. Additional tips may be available in this document.

Here's the address: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1411?viewlocale=en_US#symp3

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.