Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Aug 3, 2008, 01:14 AM   #1
HawaiiMacAddict
macrumors 6502a

Question about updating apps in iTunes vs. iPhone

Aloha everyone,

I have a question concerning how iTunes shows the number of apps to be updated versus the way the iPhone displays the same. In iTunes, I see 4 updates, as on the iPhone. When I click on the arrow beside the number of updates available, the next window states that I have 80 updates available (yes, I have an inordinate number of apps on my iPhone ). On the iPhone, however, the number of available updates in the badge matches the number of apps being updated.

My question is why iTunes displays the total number of apps as being updates, when the badge number (in the column on the left-hand side of the main iTunes window) shows the correct number of updates. I've included a couple of screenshots to illustrate my question.

HawaiiMacAddict
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.png
Views:	46
Size:	641.4 KB
ID:	127946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 3.png
Views:	33
Size:	482.8 KB
ID:	127947  
HawaiiMacAddict is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 01:19 AM   #2
lindsayanng
macrumors 68000

the short answer is that apple has made a mess of the app updates.. everyone is having issues and you should consider yourself lucky that you actually GET updates that you need..
lindsayanng is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 01:24 AM   #3
Niiro13
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Niiro13 Send a message via MSN to Niiro13 Send a message via Yahoo to Niiro13
It's glitchy...

I know it doesn't seem right, but at least if you click the Download all updates button, it will only download the updates that you need (and not all 80).

So while everyone isn't having the same number of updates on the iPhone as iTunes, count yourself lucky that all you have is that iTunes is displaying all 80 applications instead of the applications that need updates...like I said, it still only downloads the ones that you need.
Niiro13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 04:50 AM   #4
TonyHoyle
macrumors 6502a

If you click download all updates it simply redownloads all your apps.. I've got receipts from apple showing my entire app list 3 times in 1 day!

My applications tab continues to say 1 update available despite this, and that won't go away. I've never seen the iphone say there were *any* updates - that seems broken too.
TonyHoyle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2008, 11:28 AM   #5
TomyDingo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niiro13 View Post
It's glitchy...

I know it doesn't seem right, but at least if you click the Download all updates button, it will only download the updates that you need (and not all 80).
For me it redownloads ALL apps. This is a problem because it erases some saved data, it's like starting fresh with the apps. Also I've noticed that the app store on my iPhone will say there is an update for an app, but on iTunes on my Mac it constantly says no updates. It's annoying, but I guess we'll just have to suffer until Apple fixes it.
TomyDingo is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps