Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple announced that James A. Lawrence, executive vice president and Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of General Mills, Inc. has now joined the company's Board of Directors.

Mr. Lawrence has held his current positions at General Mills since 1998 and previously served similar positions at Northwest Airlines and Pepsi-Cola.

Steve Jobs notes "With his deep financial and international experience, Jim is going to be a great addition to our Board of Directors".

Interiority

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2001
England
Re: James A. Lawrence Joins Apple's Board

Originally posted by Macrumors
Mr. Lawrence has held his current positions at General Mills since 1998 and previously served similar positions at Northwest Airlines and Pepsi-Cola.

Let's hope that this works out better than the last time Steve recruited someone from Pepsi-Cola... :)

theRebel

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2003
Maybe now Apple can work a deal to put some iTunes Music Store gift certificates in cereal boxes.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Welcome to the Apple Board of Directors, Jim Lawrence. May it be a fruitful addition to the board. It mentioned at the apple.com announcement that he and his family are Mac users. "I look forward to actually working with these innovative guys." This certainly sounds as though Steve made a great choice.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
Re: James A. Lawrence Joins Apple's Board

Originally posted by Macrumors

1998 and previously served similar positions at Northwest Airlines and Pepsi-Cola.

I think Steve likes Pepsi

CraigS

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2003
Washington DC
Re: Re: James A. Lawrence Joins Apple's Board

Originally posted by Interiority
Let's hope that this works out better than the last time Steve recruited someone from Pepsi-Cola... :)

I wonder if Steve gave him the "sugar water" speech.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
An independent board

One thing the big business magazines and stock analysts always harp on about Apple is the lack of an "independent" board of directors, that they see the current board as a bunch of yes-men to Steve Jobs.

Then again, these are the same critics who seem to love to blow Steve's compensation package out of all proportion. Executive watchdog Graef Crystal for one got Jobs' pay so completely wrong that I lost all respect for him.

This appointment should be a step in the right direction to assuage such criticisms, unless there's some less obvious connection between Lawrence/General Mills and Jobs/Apple/Pixar. Then again, Pixar may have run a Monsters Inc. giveaway in specially-marked boxes of Cinnamon Toast Crunch and so the analysts will cry foul.

imamacguy17

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2002
who (if anyone) is he replacing? i have only seen stuff about new members being added not anyone leaving.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Originally posted by imamacguy17
who (if anyone) is he replacing? i have only seen stuff about new members being added not anyone leaving.

Who said anyone had to be replaced? Expansion/growth is good.

CheekyGit

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2002
Alabama
Mac Loops

Maybe GM will make a cereal called "Mac Loops" with little Apple logo-shaped marshmellows in it.
:D

I'm not sure if GM makes Fruit Loops. Sorry, I'm not a cereal eater.

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
Re: Re: James A. Lawrence Joins Apple's Board

Originally posted by Interiority

Took the words right out of my... uh... keyboard.

srobert

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2002
So many humoristic possibilities:

Apple Jacks, Infinite loops, Tony the Panther, Honey Nut CEOs, Alpha Gigabits, etc... the possibilities are endless.

Man... how did we ended up with a cereal thread? ^_^

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Re: An independent board

Originally posted by Silencio
One thing the big business magazines and stock analysts always harp on about Apple is the lack of an "independent" board of directors, that they see the current board as a bunch of yes-men to Steve Jobs.

Then again, these are the same critics who seem to love to blow Steve's compensation package out of all proportion. Executive watchdog Graef Crystal for one got Jobs' pay so completely wrong that I lost all respect for him.

This appointment should be a step in the right direction to assuage such criticisms, unless there's some less obvious connection between Lawrence/General Mills and Jobs/Apple/Pixar. Then again, Pixar may have run a Monsters Inc. giveaway in specially-marked boxes of Cinnamon Toast Crunch and so the analysts will cry foul.

Very True, does anyone know if this guy is just another of Job's Friends?

Al Gore... Last few board members were all friends, anyone know if this guy is?

balconycollapse

Cancelled
Aug 7, 2003
Hahahaha

I'm curious what some sales numbers are for successfull cereals? I mean, how many boxes of say Cookie Crisp are sold in a given year. If its in the 2 million range, perhaps it would be financially smart for Apple to release a cereal because of our fanatical user base. I would eat it!

Chances are apple would use larger colorful marshmallows that were much tastier and easier to scoop up with a spoon but would lose marketshare to Wintel cereal misleading easily swayed consumers with lots of really tiny plain marshmallows to be able to say they had more numerically per box.

-------------
If everyone is thinking alike then someone isn't thinking.

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
I can see the past replaying itself.

apple releases a new innovative cereal with stunning marshmallow graphics and it is acclaimed as an easy to use er... eat cereal. Microsoft, eager to cash in on this new cereal craze, will release a quickly produced version that still contains many bugs (real ones this time) due to poor quality control and things slipping into the cereal mix during production. People, against their better judgement, will try microsofts cereal and will be unsatisfied with it, but will not change because it is too much trouble and apples cereal is far too expensive being $3 per box instead of $2.50. Besides, the stores that carry microsofts ceral have more types of milk to go with it making it easier to find the milk you need. microsoft, while having an inferior product, will come to control the cereal market and stifel nearloy all innovation in marshmallow technology.

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Originally posted by Vector
I can see the past replaying itself.

apple releases a new innovative cereal with stunning marshmallow graphics and it is acclaimed as an easy to use er... eat cereal. Microsoft, eager to cash in on this new cereal craze, will release a quickly produced version that still contains many bugs (real ones this time) due to poor quality control and things slipping into the cereal mix during production. People, against their better judgement, will try microsofts cereal and will be unsatisfied with it, but will not change because it is too much trouble and apples cereal is far too expensive being $3 per box instead of $2.50. Besides, the stores that carry microsofts ceral have more types of milk to go with it making it easier to find the milk you need. microsoft, while having an inferior product, will come to control the cereal market and stifel nearloy all innovation in marshmallow technology.

:D Great post! (along with several others.)

But seriously, there could be a General Mills-Apple give away or tie-in. Besides cereals, they have Progresso, Green Giant, Pillsbury, Betty Crocker, YoPlait, Colombo, Old El Paso, etc. etc. They'd be a wide variety of choices.

I don't know if a tie-in would be a thing, but it's certainly possible if it's legal (which I assume it would be).

ryaxnb

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2003
The Cereal Analogy®:
Every morning, when you wake up, you call a CI (Cereal Information) person, who's been hired by the CCO (Chief Cereal Officer) to maintain the cereal, to see if there is a new virus. You'd like to stop doing this, but at work you're strictly forbidden from eating any other cereal. And instead of multiple cereals, MS produces "General Cereal" and leaves it at that. Pretty soon, the are 30 different types of cereal in General Cereal, and it doesn't taste too good. About 1/4 of the time, the cereal will be stuck in the box. You then shake it and continue. Warnings "Put in Microsoft Bowls Only!" and "You must install Windows Eater to eat this Cereal" will fall out of the 80 oz "small" package. When you go to the store, they only have MS cereal because they have to pay MS $1.00 per cereal box, regardless of the brand.
The computer world:
CI = IT, CCO = CPO, General Cereal = MS Office, MS Bowls only = MS's Windows only EULA's, take IE, Windows Eater = Internet Explorer, WMP, etc.
80 oz = MS Office again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.