Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)

Old May 21, 2002, 11:18 PM   #1
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
LCD Prices to Stabalize

This ebnews story reports that LCD prices should stablize the end of year:

She added that LCD demand would remain strong the second half of the year as corporate demand picks up. However, Dash expects additional production capacity from several Generation 5 fabs coming online to begin easing shortages by December. Prices are then expected to stabilize.

Apple had to increase the cost of the LCD iMac earlier this year due to rising component costs.
arn is offline   0
Old May 21, 2002, 11:29 PM   #2
Mr. Anderson
Moderator emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Mr. Anderson
But stabilizing by the end of the year could mean another price increase before then. I just hope Apple doesn't raise their prices one more time, that would seriously hurt.

And with all the talk of the new 19", does anyone know what that might cost?
Old May 21, 2002, 11:35 PM   #3
Backtothemac
macrumors 601

Send a message via AIM to Backtothemac
I personally would like to see the 17 inch drop to 599, and the 19 debut at 999. It is not too much to ask, even if it was 1299, it would be a great deal. I really don't think that the prices will go back up between now and then. Profits are stable, and demand is still increasing. Thus, I think they remain stable.
Backtothemac is offline   0
Old May 22, 2002, 12:02 AM   #4
eyelikeart
Moderator emeritus

I'm wondering if this could mean that a replacement screen for TiBooks would eventually go down?
eyelikeart is offline   0
Old May 22, 2002, 12:17 AM   #5
alex_ant
Banned

It's great that LCD prices will be stabalizing...

But I'm still waiting for them to stabilize.
alex_ant is offline   0
Old May 22, 2002, 01:49 AM   #6
mc68k
macrumors 68000

Apple loses out. They have ADC and I have DVI. Add $150, and you know who I'm siding with— non-proprietary-ness. So I guess I can look at things from afar. I've wanted an LCD but I bought an iPod (or three).

Even if prices do stay high, people will still buy. Something major needs to happen with the LCD market and soon.

17" is too small, they need to do something about that. Their technology is getting old too, they need to revamp it to keep up.

Stabilization would be nice, especially w/the iMac.
mc68k is offline   0
Old May 22, 2002, 10:52 AM   #7
Hemingray
macrumors 68030

It's going to take awhile for the 19" to come out and even LONGER for them to drop the prices! (If Apple pulls what they usually do in the display department...) This could be a long wait...
Hemingray is offline   0
Old May 22, 2002, 04:02 PM   #8
lucs
macrumors member

17 inch

the only thing keeping me from buying a 17in lcd is the price....I know that 1000 dollars is actually a pretty fair price if you take into account the design of the case and the high quality of the screen, but still....its 1000 bucks...

if it went down to 599 it would be perfect

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacRumors News Discussion (archive)