Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:12 AM   #1
Bodhi395
macrumors 6502a

Lock Screen Necessary?

I've recently got an iphone and love it, but am wondering why the lock screen is necessary? I always thought it was so your iphone isn't accidently turned on when its in your pocket or something. But, I've found once the screen turns off, you can't turn it back on without pressing the home button or the on/off button. No amount of accidental touches to the screen in your pocket is going to turn it on. Also, the chances of pressing the home button or on/off button accidently are quite slim, since one is depressed and the other takes a fair amount of force to press I've found. It seems like an unnecessary feature, unless I'm missing something. It would be much more user friendly to just have the screen turn off and lock like it normally does, but when you press the home button or on/off switch, it would take you directly to the main iphone screen(no lock screen at all).

Anyone else agree?

Last edited by Bodhi395; Aug 4, 2008 at 10:33 AM.
Bodhi395 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:15 AM   #2
slicecom
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodhi395 View Post
Also, I'm dissapointed the iphone does not let you control the ipod function from the lock screen like the ipod touch does, it makes navigating music quite annoying on the iphone.
Press the home button twice.
slicecom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:15 AM   #3
TranceNW
macrumors regular

Double tap the home button on the lock screen for limited iPod controls.

EDIT: Damn, beat me to it! haha

Last edited by TranceNW; Aug 4, 2008 at 10:16 AM. Reason: as in post
TranceNW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:23 AM   #4
Bodhi395
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TranceNW View Post
Double tap the home button on the lock screen for limited iPod controls.

EDIT: Damn, beat me to it! haha
Ok, thanks... but it would still be nice to not even have to go through a lock screen to control the ipod function.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:26 AM   #5
TranceNW
macrumors regular

Quote:
Ok, thanks... but it would still be nice to not even have to go through a lock screen to control the ipod function.
Yeah, i guess i understand where your coming from, but it is there as an extra layer of security to prevent unintended touches.
Perhaps they should add the option to have it enabled or disabled.
TranceNW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:31 AM   #6
actorkid
macrumors 6502

....you don't have to go through the lock screen to control the ipod....it works the same as the touch.

when in the locked position, simply press the home button twice and the ipod controls will come up. Yes you need to unlock it to change albums and such, but its just about the same trouble to switch albums and artists on a regular iPod.

On a regular iPod you have to back track through menus and scroll all the way to the album you want.

on the iphone just slide to unlock, press iPod, and use cover scroll. a quick flick of the risk and you're good to go....
actorkid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 10:52 AM   #7
abijnk
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to abijnk
The lock screen makes perfect sense to me... Let's say the sleep/wake button does get accidentaly pressed (or the home button, and trust me, it isn't as hard as you make it seem to hit the buttons while it is in you pocket), then you stick your hand in your pocket to get something else and your hand brushes the screen. Without the lock screen there is no telling what would get turned on and how long it would stay running before you figured out you touched something.
abijnk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2008, 11:11 AM   #8
Bodhi395
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by abiyng87 View Post
The lock screen makes perfect sense to me... Let's say the sleep/wake button does get accidentaly pressed (or the home button, and trust me, it isn't as hard as you make it seem to hit the buttons while it is in you pocket), then you stick your hand in your pocket to get something else and your hand brushes the screen. Without the lock screen there is no telling what would get turned on and how long it would stay running before you figured out you touched something.
It seems like the chances of you accidently hitting the button AND sticking your hand in your pocket AND touching the screen AND opening something is quite unlikely and doesn't justify an entire extra layer of security.

I would at least like the option of turning it off.
Old Aug 4, 2008, 12:24 PM   #9
benflick
macrumors 68020

hasn't your school counselor ever taught you about good touches and bad touches? thats why the lock screen is there...
Old Aug 4, 2008, 04:06 PM   #10
operator207
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I've recently got an iphone and love it, but am wondering why the lock screen is necessary? I always thought it was so your iphone isn't accidently turned on when its in your pocket or something. But, I've found once the screen turns off, you can't turn it back on without pressing the home button or the on/off button. No amount of accidental touches to the screen in your pocket is going to turn it on. Also, the chances of pressing the home button or on/off button accidently are quite slim, since one is depressed and the other takes a fair amount of force to press I've found. It seems like an unnecessary feature, unless I'm missing something. It would be much more user friendly to just have the screen turn off and lock like it normally does, but when you press the home button or on/off switch, it would take you directly to the main iphone screen(no lock screen at all).

Anyone else agree?
My iPhone has unlocked itself 3 times in my pocket since I bought it last July. It has somehow dialed a recent number. I carry a card wallet in that pocket, so I would imagine one of its corners hit the recessed button, and my walking swiped it. As for how it dialed, I can only imagine the fabric my slacks' pockets are made of is not very thick, and my thigh "tapped" a recent number.

I carry the phone in my pocket every day, its happened 3 times, I would call that rare, but if it did not have to hit the button to start inputing swipes and whatnot, I would imagine it would happen more often.

I also specifically carry the phone with the screen pointing towards my thigh. That would make it easier to swipe i would think.
operator207 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:24 PM   #11
fauxpeanut
macrumors newbie

Exclamation

You don't need to go to the lockscreen for iPod controls...
Just double-tap the home button in any application for the controls.

Also, if you have the headphones that came with it, just push the button on the wire to the earbuds to pause.

Unless I'm missing something...?

EDIT: Sorry, didn't check the date. Must've not been in the firmware then.

Last edited by fauxpeanut; Aug 25, 2009 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Didn't check previous post dates
fauxpeanut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:33 PM   #12
TMar
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Yahoo to TMar Send a message via Skype™ to TMar
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxpeanut View Post
You don't need to go to the lockscreen for iPod controls...
Just double-tap the home button in any application for the controls.

Also, if you have the headphones that came with it, just push the button on the wire to the earbuds to pause.

Unless I'm missing something...?

EDIT: Sorry, didn't check the date. Must've not been in the firmware then.
Wow not only did you nerco this, but you said the same thing 5 people above you said..
TMar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 04:05 AM   #13
iPhone 62S
macrumors 6502a

While we're on the subject, am I the only one who's annoyed that, as of 3.0, double clicking the home button to bring up the music controls when there is no music playing at the moment starts playing songs in a random order instead of going through the song list alphabetically like it used to? Bug much?
iPhone 62S is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2009, 04:09 AM   #14
philgilder
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone 62S View Post
While we're on the subject, am I the only one who's annoyed that, as of 3.0, double clicking the home button to bring up the music controls when there is no music playing at the moment starts playing songs in a random order instead of going through the song list alphabetically like it used to? Bug much?
its supposed to do that, so you can quickly start a random shuffle rather than listening to the same first song again and again
Old Aug 26, 2009, 04:14 AM   #15
iPhone 62S
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgilder View Post
its supposed to do that, so you can quickly start a random shuffle rather than listening to the same first song again and again
I find that annoying, I wish they'd put a setting in so you can choose what you want. I far prefer to listen to my music in it's proper order, and I can skip through songs if I'm bored with them.
iPhone 62S is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 01:13 AM   #16
applemagic123
macrumors regular

Just jailbreak it

You can totally turn off the lockscreen. Simply jailbreak your iPhone and install a package named "NoLock" and you can turn it on and off. It's slightly glitchy but you may have better luck than me.
applemagic123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2011, 04:06 AM   #17
ap3604
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by applemagic123 View Post
You can totally turn off the lockscreen. Simply jailbreak your iPhone and install a package named "NoLock" and you can turn it on and off. It's slightly glitchy but you may have better luck than me.
Thanks for the info applemagic

I know this app is on the Android Market and works great but I didn't know it was available for the iPhone as well I'll have to try it out...
ap3604 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone