Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakfrost

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Ontario Canada
I have a friend who needs some photos I took sent to them as a .pdf file. The photos are in iPhoto.
I have searched help to no avail, looking for 'conversion', 'transfer', 'save as'....
'Save as' actually looked promising, after giving the file a name and asking it to save as a .pdf file nothing happens.
So I went to Word and created a .pdf file with the photos in it. Fine, now I have a pdf file saved in my 'documents' folder with the 6 photos in it.
I tried to 'attach' the file to an email. I click on 'attachment', documents, pick the file, highlight it, click on 'choose' and nothing happens. Just nothing at all. Did it 5 times, nothing.
So I open up Entourage, created an email account, ( I have never used Entourage as yet...), typed the email and attached the .pdf file, and clicked on send.
3 minutes late I get a message saying 'unable to send email' need 'starttliss' or some such command. End. Screwed again by windows apps.

I would rather know how to send a .pdf file as an attachment in Mail, I just didn't think it would be that hard...like almost impossible it seems.

What am I missing, besides a brain...

Jim

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I have a friend who needs some photos I took sent to them as a .pdf file. ...
Your friend may want photos in .pdf format, but he certainly does not need them in that format. iPhoto can export photographs in JPEG, TIFF, and PNG. Any of these formats is far superior to PDF for raster graphics. You can send the photographs in these formats and allow your friend to convert them to whatever he wants.

You friend, however, might be better served if he explains what he is trying to do. I am certain that JPEG or TIFF is a more appropriate format for him.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Print to PDF. You can do this in iPhoto the same way you can with any other Mac application. You can specify the layout, the number of "ups" per page, and even use one of Apple's book, card or calendar layouts.

jakfrost

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
Ontario Canada
Thanks all for the suggestions...the person who needs the photos is making a sign for the end of our farm lane and wanted a couple of shots of the farm for design purposes. She is using some kind of program that apparently needs pdf format...what the heck do I know. I'm just a dumb farmer...

I did manage to convert to pdf but then my server refused to send them...so I guess I'll burn them to glass and mail them.

So much for technology :eek:.

Jim

cptpower

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2007
Calgary, AB
the printing to PDF option should take care of this for you.

Open the image in iPhoto. Select Export and export the file to the desktop in its current format. Open that image in preview, then select print. in the lower left of that window, you should see an option for PDF. Select that and follow the instructions to print the image to a PDF.

Hope that helps.

cptpower

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2007
Calgary, AB
iPhoto '08 at least doesn't give the option to print to PDF (see attached), unless its hidden somewhere that I'm unaware of. If that's the case, please enlighten us.

Preview has the PDF options right in the lower-left (see attached)

Attachments

• iPhoto001.jpg
    iPhoto001.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 307
  • Preview001.jpg
    Preview001.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 269

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
It's a bit counterintuitive but you need to click on the Print button in the first iPhoto print dialog box (which is really more of a page setup), which results in the standard Print dialog box with the print to PDF option.

cptpower

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2007
Calgary, AB
It's a bit counterintuitive but you need to click on the Print button in the first iPhoto print dialog box (which is really more of a page setup), which results in the standard Print dialog box with the print to PDF option.

certainly is a bit counter-intuitive. I would've thought that the page that you select your printer, etc. on (i.e. the one with the 'print' button) is the window that you print from. Very strange, but you're absolutely right.

So, the OP can select their page setup on that window, hit print, and then go through the PDF steps on the next page. That should take care of it.

blackskies1983

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2010
Thank you:)

Went through all of this registration process to say thank you 'coz you all helped me and I did what I had to. Hugely thank you:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.