Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scooterman1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 15, 2008
Houston, Tx
I just received this email from NullRiver Support:

[FONT=&quot]Thank you for your inquiry, a lot of you are wondering what's going on with NetShare[/FONT]

As of writing it is not available in any country on Apples AppStore

Apple is working with us at getting the program back onto the store as soon as possible.

News as it happens will be posted at our website here: http://www.nullriver.com

If you use an RSS Reader such as Apple Safari or Apple Mail you can also keep updated on the matter by subscribing to our RSS News feed here: http://www.nullriver.com/rss

--

NetShare can be used with any device that supports SOCKS5 Proxies. This includes Mac, Windows XP, Vista, Linux and many other system and devices. Guides are being worked on to help, which will be release as soon as possible on our website.

In the meantime many people have taken the time and energy to make guides of their own to help people out, for which id like to extend our thanks.

For help with Windows XP
http://falaris.com/?p=154
http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to/v...to-win-xp-to-use-your-iphone-s-3g-web-225037/
And a quick google search reveals:
http://www.google.com/search?&q=netshare+windows+xp

And for Windows Vista
A google search reveals:
http://www.google.com/search?&q=netshare+windows+vista

And for Mac OSX Users Apple Insider have put together a 10 step guide:
http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ng_your_iphones_connection_with_netshare.html

We have a support section on our website which we hope to expand to cover more issues in future:
http://www.nullriver.com/support/contact/faqs?supportProductId=netshare

SandersHokie

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2006
sorry this is a dumb question, but, with NetShare, I could be in a car and hook my laptop to my cell phone and get on the Internet using my laptop?

that'd be pretty cool.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
NullRiver 'Working with Apple' on Bringing Back Netshare

NullRiver, Inc has posted an update to their site about the fate of Netshare, their iPhone tethering application:
We've finally gotten in contact with Apple. Looks like the lack of communication was due to automated e-mail systems being employed on both ends, which resulted in e-mails being lost in transit. We're working with Apple to get NetShare back up on the AppStore.
It appears they are in contact with Apple and seem to think they will be able to get the app back into the App Store.

NullRiver's NetShare iPhone tethering application appeared, disappeared, reappeared and finally disappeared again from the iTunes App Store. Apple has given no official word on the reason for the application's removal.

NetShare allows iPhone users to share their EDGE or 3G data connection with their laptop computer.

Article Link

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
But I though this was apple and att being evvvvuuuuuuuuuulll?

Seriously though, this is great news, as today's 2.0.1 gave some of us scare, updates may someday make netshare break.

Hopefully they can come to a great conclusion.

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Looking forward to it on the App Store soon. I didn't get a chance to get it when it was previously available. :(

Sneakz

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I think its because of some carriers not liking the fact that the iPhone can take advantage of being used as a laptop modem. Especially those who offer UL data plans like AT&T and O2. Others who offer plans with fixed amounts of data (like most of them) wont be as anal about it.

Rybold

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2008
California, USA
I sure hope they bring it back. I'd even be willing to pay an extra one-time $10 into AT&T's pocket if they bring it back.

xix

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008

Seriously though, this is great news, as today's 2.0.1 gave some of us scare, updates may someday make netshare break.

I paid $10 for NetShare. If Apple removes my ability to use it, I expect to be reimbursed for the money paid for the app, and the value I get out of it. That would be about $60 a month for a tethering plan through AT&T. Since that won't happen, class action suit, anyone?

But seriously, Apple is in charge. Why would they even put this app up unless they were prepared to face the consequences?

FSUSem1noles

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
Ft. Lauderdale
So what's the odds (Netshare related)

What's the odds that if NullRiver and Apple can't come to an agreement regarding Netshare that for the next "software update" Apple is going to put a patch in the update that renders Netshare useless??

Sadly, I'd say it's almost a certainty.. hopefully I'm wrong..

rockinrocker

macrumors 65816
Aug 21, 2006
i hope they're right and it is coming back. i bought it when it reappeared, but it'll be nice to having continuing support and updates.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I paid $10 for NetShare. If Apple removes my ability to use it, I expect to be reimbursed for the money paid for the app, and the value I get out of it. That would be about $60 a month for a tethering plan through AT&T. Since that won't happen, class action suit, anyone?

But seriously, Apple is in charge. Why would they even put this app up unless they were prepared to face the consequences?

I fully expect Apple to reimburse the purchase price if they take away the app from people who already have it.

Asking them to ALSO reimburse you for an AT&T service you never paid for is absurd.

It would be like you bought a motorcycle, it was recalled, you got your money back, and now you're suing to make them buy you a car as well :p

I'd be amazed if AT&T allows this--and it's they who have a stake in this. Apple has to deal with the practicalities of what's allowed, what's not, and how to respond if something got through that shouldn't. But if the app never comes back, it will be due to AT&T's interests, not Apple's.

No other smartphone allows tethering without a monthly cost. I'd love it if the iPhone were the first, but I don't expect it.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If Apple sells something and then destroys the functionality later, I'd say some people (like me) would be quite angry.

mr.stinki

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2008
NetShare GONE?!?!

I'm freaking out. Netshare is suddenly gone from my iTunes, It's gone from my iPhone, and It's not in any of my time machine backups!

WTF is up with that? i tried downloading it again, but it's not available from the App store.

I'm gonna cry :(

damnyooneek

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2005

the number of people that actually bought and downloaded the program is a few hundred maybe a thousand max. they wont bother doing that.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
the number of people that actually bought and downloaded the program is a few hundred maybe a thousand max. they wont bother doing that.

True. I meant updates that through just updating code breaks something that netshare needs. Like a unfortunate side effect of a 2.0.x update.

gcmexico

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Littleton, CO
I'm freaking out. Netshare is suddenly gone from my iTunes, It's gone from my iPhone, and It's not in any of my time machine backups!

WTF is up with that? i tried downloading it again, but it's not available from the App store.

I'm gonna cry :(
this has been happening, but not to everyone...I have re-synced, bought more apps, and just did the software update...I still have the app, and it still works..I advise everyone to copy the file just in case

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
I wish I bought this last week when I spotted it on the App Store.

I'll be on a couple trips the next two weeks. My Airport still charges 10 bucks an hour to get online. And, I'll be in Vegas next week where MGM also charges daily.

Please have it back by next week :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.