Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iLounge provides an extensive roundup of all of the iPhone voice recorders presently available in the App store. These apps are, of course, only compatible with the iPhone and not the iPod touch due to a lack of built-in microphone for the iPod touch. A summary of their ratings are provided here (prices link to App Store):

* Voice Memos ($4.99, D) - no-frills. no way to get recordings off iPhone.
* Voice Notes (Free, C-) - no-frills. easy to accidently delete recording. no export.
* VoiceRecord ($0.99, B-) - slightly more polished. no pause, no export
* SpeakEasy Voice Recorder ($1.99, B+) - polished. level meter, adjust quality. no export
* Audio Recorder ($2.99, B) - email recordings out of iPhone.
* QuickVoice Recorder ($1.99, B-) - transfer recordings out to Mac or PC. pause/resume.
* Recordifier ($4.99, C) - no pause/resume. no export.
* Recorder ($0.99, B-) - basic recorder. email recordings out of iPhone. no pause.
* Note2Self ($2.99, B+) - designed to email recordings out of iPhone. accelerometer detects usage.
* EccoNote (Free, C-) - poor interface.
* iRecorder ($0.99, B-) - works as advertised. standard UI. no export.
* YouNote (Free, C) - note taking
* Jott (Free, B-) - part of Jott service to record and transcribe to do's.

While iLounge's top picks include SpeakEasy Voice Recorder [App Store] and Note2Self [App Store], it's clear the best choice will depend on your usage. While Note2Self seems well designed for recording personal reminders, it would be less useful for recording lectures. If recording lectures is your goal, it would seem Audio Recorder [App Store] or QuickVoice Recorder [App Store] might be more useful with the ability to get recordings out of your iPhone and onto your Mac.

iLounge provides a much more in-depth look at each application in their review.

Article Link

akac

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2003
Colorado
Wow. Wow. We made Note2Self and we're really happy to see this. I think version 1.1 will make people happy - location saving of notes, naming of notes, pausing of recordings, and more. If all goes well - up on App store this week.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Do any of these make it possible to record both sides of a phone call?

Or is that a legal no-no type thing?

stratmancj

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2007
do any of these make it possible to record a concert? do and have a limiter if the volume is too loud?

soundsgoodtome

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Los Angeles
iLounge missed one: Evernote.

Records audio *and* posts it to their servers, where you can access it from any web browser or the Evernote desktop app for listening or emailing to someone.

Ding.Dong

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
Los Angeles
VoiceNotes just did an update with the ability to record longer notes and sync them with your computer. I haven't tried syncing yet so I don't know how easy it is.

rachaface

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
iLounge missed one: Evernote.

Records audio *and* posts it to their servers, where you can access it from any web browser or the Evernote desktop app for listening or emailing to someone.

i second this app - it's free and it will sync to their website. the only downside is it limits to 60 second recordings (so if youre a songwriter like myself, potential melody recordings might be tough).

Xtal

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
I like "Audio Recorder" for the ability to add audio to existing recordings, in addition to its email export capability.

Manatee

Contributor
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
Do any of these make it possible to record both sides of a phone call?

Or is that a legal no-no type thing?
There are legal issues with that, depending on where you are. Either the SDK prevents apps from recording phone conversations, or Apple prohibits such apps from the App Store. I'm not sure at what level it is enforced.

Manatee

Contributor
Oct 20, 2003
Washington DC
SpeakEasy looks best to me.

I like the reviews at iLounge. Of these, SpeakEasy looks like the one for me -- when they add the ability to get the recordings off the phone.

On the developer's website it says this feature will be coming.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I've been happy with QuickVoice. The audio quality is clear and acceptable for voice recording. I used to carry around a separate digital voice recorder for doing interviews, so now my iPhone can supplant yet another extra electronic device. I like how there's no limit to the time on QuickVoice, and I really like being able to transfer the files to my Mac.

Now I'm waiting for Griffin or Belkin to create a high-quality stereo mic connector for this iPhone so I can do stereo field recording and eliminate yet another extra device!

jturn00

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
I've been happy with QuickVoice. The audio quality is clear and acceptable for voice recording. I used to carry around a separate digital voice recorder for doing interviews, so now my iPhone can supplant yet another extra electronic device. I like how there's no limit to the time on QuickVoice, and I really like being able to transfer the files to my Mac.

Now I'm waiting for Griffin or Belkin to create a high-quality stereo mic connector for this iPhone so I can do stereo field recording and eliminate yet another extra device!

I also like Quickvoice. I wasn't even using the sync feature. I was using to transcribe long meetings and it keeps recording for as long as the meeting runs.

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I really like SpeakEasy, especially now that they added the ability to use the iPhone speaker (before, you could only play recordings over the earpiece, rendering them pretty much inaudible). The only thing that sucks is the fact that iLounge claims it is $2--it was $5 when it first appeared on day 1.

Yuusharo

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007
This list forgets Evernote (Free), unless its talking about stand-alone recorder apps. Evernote integrates with Mac, Windows, and the web. It has a voice recorder that automatically uploads the file to the web, which can be downloaded from anywhere. The drawback is you must have an account, but they've opened it up to the public so it shouldn't be a problem.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
It's really unfortunate that none of these apps seem to really be able to get a file to a computer while syncing instead of through some kind of internet-based mechanism. E-mail is not great for longer files, and third party web apps are not appropriate for sensitive information. It would be ideal if it could just somehow put the file into iTunes when you plug the iPhone in.

There aren't any Installer.app / Cydia / Jailbreak apps that can do that, are there?

MacBaby123

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
Speakeasy Voice Recorder Will Do This Soon

It's really unfortunate that none of these apps seem to really be able to get a file to a computer while syncing instead of through some kind of internet-based mechanism. E-mail is not great for longer files, and third party web apps are not appropriate for sensitive information. It would be ideal if it could just somehow put the file into iTunes when you plug the iPhone in.

There aren't any Installer.app / Cydia / Jailbreak apps that can do that, are there?

I've contacted the developers at Speakeasy and they said they are working on something that should do just this and it will be available soon. :)

Stormalong

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2008
Software to record phone calls

There is a common misconception about the legality of recording telephone calls. In fact, it is legal to record phone conversations, under the laws of all 50 states and federal law. The legal issue deals with notification and/or consent. Federal law only requires that one party to the call incense to the recording, which means that you can record calls that you are a party to. Many states, however, require both parties to be notified and/or consent to the recording. I have a good deal of experience in this specific area of the law. In practice, these laws are all so poorly written and so vague that most of the time you can't even find out what is legal or illegal until after you have done it. These laws, most of which were passed in the 1960s, desperately need to be updated and clarified. Most of the laws say that you need the other persons "consent." So, technically, when a company tells you that calls "may be recorded," they have not satisfied the requirements and it may well be committing felonies every time they recorded customers call, without first asking the customer's explicit permission to do so.

You'd also be surprised to find out how arrogant many companies are regarding the recording of phone calls. They don't give you a choice about being recorded and you'll find their reaction quite interesting when you tell them that you are also recording the same conversation.

One of the major cell phone companies tried to pull a fast one on me recently and told me that I was lying about an agreement that one of their agents made with me. When I told the woman that I had not only recorded that earlier call but that I was recording the call with her where she was being rude, insulting and flat-out wrong, she freaked out and said that their company had a policy that if a customer told them that the customer was recording the call that the agent was supposed to hang up immediately.

I am now working on legislation in my state that would allow a consumer to record any calls, without notice or consent, when calling any toll-free business number, government office and/or the official customer service numbers of any company doing business with the public.

I'm not talking about a phone call with somebody, gossiping about the neighbors or revealing personal infidelities. I'm talking about consumers rights to preserve the clarity of any conversation that he or she would otherwise be able to disclose in any court proceeding. Candidly, if it's okay for the government, utilities, banks and a whole list of other types of businesses to "protect themselves from the consumer," than the consumer should also be able to record the conversation so that he or she can later prove, with absolute clarity and certainty, what was said in an unofficial commercial conversation.

It's amazing how heavy-handed companies suddenly change their tune when they discover that the consumer also recorded a telephone call that the company recorded. The recorded truth is a great equalizer and can go a long way to protecting the little guy who only asks to be treated with honesty, integrity and reliability.

I can't think of anything more pro-consumer than for the legislatures across the United States to update and modernize consumer protection laws in a manner that gives consumers a feeling of safety that they won't get into trouble by simply archiving the true and complete content of a commercial telephone conversation. I think you'd start to see a lot of companies and a lot of government agencies suddenly start behaving with some basic respect for consumers and citizens who deserve nothing less.

Nothing about this means to suggest that there are legitimate occasions for companies and government offices to benefit from dishonest customers and citizens, but they already have the upper hand. Despite the law, from a practical standpoint, if you want to speak to someone from a bank, a utility, certainly to protect yourself from the venal abuses of rabid collection agencies, you really don't get a choice. If you tell them that you do not want your call recorded, they will tell you that you don't have to call them. If the company says that your only way of not being recorded is not to call them at all, that isn't consent.

So I'd encourage everybody to let software publishers know that we want software for the iPhone that gives us the ability to record telephone calls. Everybody should also write a letter to their state elected representatives and tell them you want these laws fixed. You want to be able to prove how a collection agent threatens you, our cell phone provider lies to you simply to be able to archive the truth, without being afraid of being charged with a crime or sued into oblivion. just imagine all the lawsuits that could be avoided if there was absolute recorded proof of what both sides said. Individuals and/or companies knew that there was proof of something they did right or something they did wrong things would suddenly find themselves resolved very quickly.

We all get the government we deserve. It's up to each of us to make it better.

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2008
i bought quicknote, i thought the sound quality was horrible. Iv been useing ECCO NOTE for the last week or so. I only see one issue (no stop button for playback, and you cant click on another audio recording and play that back while another is playing)

But the sound quality is great, and its free plus easy. But i did not know there was THIS many of them. So i'll be sure to check out a few of them later.

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA
i bought quicknote, i thought the sound quality was horrible. Iv been useing ECCO NOTE for the last week or so. I only see one issue (no stop button for playback, and you cant click on another audio recording and play that back while another is playing)

But the sound quality is great, and its free plus easy. But i did not know there was THIS many of them. So i'll be sure to check out a few of them later.

I have been using EccoNote as well. The only non-obvious thing about it was how to delete files (which you do by swiping over the name of the file then the delete button will appear). I think they should have an EDIT button at the top left that you press and chose what to delete the way other apps have.

But its free and it works fine. Sound quality is pretty decent as well.

macenvy

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2007
I am considering QuickVoice for use on my 3G. I will be using it for musical purposes and also recording lectures. The syncing with iTunes is a must! Was wondering if any of the users could let me know how well this would do at recording from a distance (ie. in a lecture hall). Its loud enough for me to hear comfortably, so I'm assuming the internal mic would do an adequate job at recording it??

Also, if a call or message comes in, is the recording interrupted??

fountaineer

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2008
Thanks

Stormalong thanks for sharing this thoughtful opinion. I agree with you on many points. I have never challenged a phone recording of an institution but i have always wanted to bring it up just to see what i have to say in that matter. I wish you all the best at pursuing what you stated here. I will try to do my part as well.

There is a common misconception about the legality of recording telephone calls. In fact, it is legal to record phone conversations, under the laws of all 50 states and federal law. The legal issue deals with notification and/or consent. Federal law only requires that one party to the call incense to the recording, which means that you can record calls that you are a party to. Many states, however, require both parties to be notified and/or consent to the recording. I have a good deal of experience in this specific area of the law. In practice, these laws are all so poorly written and so vague that most of the time you can't even find out what is legal or illegal until after you have done it. These laws, most of which were passed in the 1960s, desperately need to be updated and clarified. Most of the laws say that you need the other persons "consent." So, technically, when a company tells you that calls "may be recorded," they have not satisfied the requirements and it may well be committing felonies every time they recorded customers call, without first asking the customer's explicit permission to do so.

You'd also be surprised to find out how arrogant many companies are regarding the recording of phone calls. They don't give you a choice about being recorded and you'll find their reaction quite interesting when you tell them that you are also recording the same conversation.

One of the major cell phone companies tried to pull a fast one on me recently and told me that I was lying about an agreement that one of their agents made with me. When I told the woman that I had not only recorded that earlier call but that I was recording the call with her where she was being rude, insulting and flat-out wrong, she freaked out and said that their company had a policy that if a customer told them that the customer was recording the call that the agent was supposed to hang up immediately.

I am now working on legislation in my state that would allow a consumer to record any calls, without notice or consent, when calling any toll-free business number, government office and/or the official customer service numbers of any company doing business with the public.

I'm not talking about a phone call with somebody, gossiping about the neighbors or revealing personal infidelities. I'm talking about consumers rights to preserve the clarity of any conversation that he or she would otherwise be able to disclose in any court proceeding. Candidly, if it's okay for the government, utilities, banks and a whole list of other types of businesses to "protect themselves from the consumer," than the consumer should also be able to record the conversation so that he or she can later prove, with absolute clarity and certainty, what was said in an unofficial commercial conversation.

It's amazing how heavy-handed companies suddenly change their tune when they discover that the consumer also recorded a telephone call that the company recorded. The recorded truth is a great equalizer and can go a long way to protecting the little guy who only asks to be treated with honesty, integrity and reliability.

I can't think of anything more pro-consumer than for the legislatures across the United States to update and modernize consumer protection laws in a manner that gives consumers a feeling of safety that they won't get into trouble by simply archiving the true and complete content of a commercial telephone conversation. I think you'd start to see a lot of companies and a lot of government agencies suddenly start behaving with some basic respect for consumers and citizens who deserve nothing less.

Nothing about this means to suggest that there are legitimate occasions for companies and government offices to benefit from dishonest customers and citizens, but they already have the upper hand. Despite the law, from a practical standpoint, if you want to speak to someone from a bank, a utility, certainly to protect yourself from the venal abuses of rabid collection agencies, you really don't get a choice. If you tell them that you do not want your call recorded, they will tell you that you don't have to call them. If the company says that your only way of not being recorded is not to call them at all, that isn't consent.

So I'd encourage everybody to let software publishers know that we want software for the iPhone that gives us the ability to record telephone calls. Everybody should also write a letter to their state elected representatives and tell them you want these laws fixed. You want to be able to prove how a collection agent threatens you, our cell phone provider lies to you simply to be able to archive the truth, without being afraid of being charged with a crime or sued into oblivion. just imagine all the lawsuits that could be avoided if there was absolute recorded proof of what both sides said. Individuals and/or companies knew that there was proof of something they did right or something they did wrong things would suddenly find themselves resolved very quickly.

We all get the government we deserve. It's up to each of us to make it better.

thestaton

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2006
fountaineer: thanks for that reply. do you know if any of these apps will record phone calls?

bilboa

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008

<rant>
It's really Apple's fault that third party apps can't sync with the desktop automatically when the iPhone is synced through iTunes. Apple's SDK provides no conduit architecture, like Palm does for its SDK. Apple provides conduits for a few of its own apps -- Contacts, Calendar, Safari Bookmarks, etc -- but they provide no way for third-party apps to do something similar. Any third party app developer who wants to sync with a desktop app has to come up with their own ad-hoc solution, which works outside of the iTunes normal sync. For example, OmniFocus uses your iDisk or a Webdav server, Bookshelf has you run a server program on your desktop, eReader can use a webserver running on your own computer, or on ereader.com, etc. And for all of these apps you have to run the app in question on your iPhone for it to sync. Apple really needs to add a conduit architecture to the SDK, that allows apps to sync with desktop apps during a normal iTunes sync.
</rant>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.