Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmoh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
Hey guys, just wanted to give a glimpse of what i did today.

Story:

Basically about 2 years ago i left my powerbook unprotected in my backpack...and well someone must have kicked it or something since the lcd screen cracked right down the middle :(

since then it's still been my primary computer, however it is a laptop no more, and has been shackled to my desk. Since that frightful day it has been collecting dust, and at home it is connected to a crappy 19 inch HP monitor.

well i decided to fix my computer really when i was thinking about upgrading to a new mac. I decided purchase a new macbook pro when montevina was originally scheduled to release...however, unfortunately it got pushed back. Since college starts on august 20th, i figured i'd be without a computer for a whole month (if montevina does come late september), so then i gave myself two options...buy a brand spanking new soney vaio, or update my old rusty computer. Well guys, i just couldn't leave apple :D and so i embarked upon fixing my powerbook.

when i first broke it, i was given an estimate of $1500+ dollars for full replacement by apple. that was almost the original price of the computer...flash forward to last week, when i started this quest of mine, i saw apple's price to fix it dropped, but it was still well over a grand. i also checked 3rd parties on the internet, which were offering a price of 600 dollars...but that was still too much for me though. despite the fact that the most i've ever done with a computer is change the ram, i decided to buy an lcd screen and do it myself.

i found a good deal on ebay, about 180 dollars for a brand new lcd, and i thought...hell, it's worth a shot even if i mess everything up. so i ordered that, and recieved it on friday. then i went and bought some torque screws, i needed a 6t and 8t... the smallest i could find were a 7 and 8, but it turns out those happened to work just fine. so with the aid of a friend of mine that was equally skeptical about the procedure, this afternoon me and my friend took apart my powerbook, with him reading off the instructions, and me, screwdriver in hand, listening and following every step off the guide on ifixit.

after messing up over and over again, and finally placing all the screws in their right places, with the right connection hooked in...i turned on my computer to find it beep and and then go silent...the screen didn't even flicker and gave no sign of life :(

to be honest i almost cried since after working 10 hours, i was just working on faith that it WOULD work. about to give up, i decided to check all the connections again...nothing. at this point i was about to physically break my computer, however i noticed that i forgot to put the little lid for the ram area back on, and after pressing that in and turning on my computer for what i thought would be another futile attempt...all of a sudden i hear the windows c chord, and see the screen start up. this might sound pathetic, but i can't remember being happier in a LONG time. after checking everything, i was sure that some things might be broken, but one-by-one everything i checked worked flawlessly...

so thats it, sorry for such a long post, but i just wanted to describe my emotional tale. if anyone needs any help, i want you to know that im here for you. anyway, after reading all that i know you guys at least deserve pics, so i uploaded some! (sorry for the shoddy quality, i just took them on my phone)

workplace...

IMG00004.jpg

broken screen =(

IMG00008.jpg

FIXED!!!!! (still missing shift key haha)

IMG00006.jpg

a little customization =p

IMG00007.jpg

I personally love green :apple:'s

IMG00003.jpg

Thats it! :D

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I'm thinking of doing a fix like this myself, except to put in a S-IPS panel even if it means giving up the LED backlighting.

soberbrain

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2008
Congrats on the fix! :)

I thought about fixing my PowerBook DC, but I'll probably just wait to upgrade to a MacBook Pro.

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
Cool, man. Glad to hear you fixed your beloved PowerBook.

I admire you for having patience with directions.... I never do. I'd just have tried to fix it sans instructions, which actually I think I could do, after having just dismantled my last laptop and looking around inside. But still, kudos.

And congrats :)

jmoh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
Update:

it seems as though my computer doesn't go to sleep now when i close it. i know there's a magnet that signals the computer screen to turn off and trigger that little light next to the hatch, is it possible though that i might just have a box unchecked? or could i re-install tiger to see if that fixes it? i don't really mind it though, because i can just go to system and put the computer to sleep, but i'd like to have this functionality back.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Update:
it seems as though my computer doesn't go to sleep now when i close it. ...

The magnet probably got messed up and/or the new screen has different magnetic properties that are messing it up. It could be a software, issue, but its very unlikely. I say cut your losses and just use the keyboard shortcut (Cmd-Opt-Eject) to put your computer to sleep.

Out of curiosity, does it wake up when you open the lid?

jmoh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
The magnet probably got messed up and/or the new screen has different magnetic properties that are messing it up. It could be a software, issue, but its very unlikely. I say cut your losses and just use the keyboard shortcut (Cmd-Opt-Eject) to put your computer to sleep.

Out of curiosity, does it wake up when you open the lid?

here's the problem, when i put it to sleep and try to close it, it comes out of sleep mode. so apparently the whole opening/closing of the computer still has an effect in some weird ways. but when i just close it, the screen just stays lit. so really manually putting it to sleep doesn't work for me either.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Hrm... So closing it doesn't put it to sleep, but closing it does wake it up?

That might be a software issue... I guess reinstalling the OS wouldn't hurt.

winninganthem

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
Very impressive, you really did make get good mileage out of that machine.

Let us know what happens if you do decide to go and reinstall the OS. Hope the lid problem gets fixed.

NotFound

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2006
Very nice job! If I have my mbp when my Apple care runs out I'd like to look at putting a color filter over the apple myself as well.

Stocktrader

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2007
Great fix, I've got hope.

I just posted tonight in the Macbook forum.
Basically wife dropped hers, screen has lines.
If you don't mind me asking, who you ordered the replacement LCD from. I'd rather do it then pay $600+

Thanks and congrats again.

mb-2.JPG

monkey86

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2008
London
hey there awesome fix! i have a leopard acetate on my 12" and a green one on my 15" !!

im looking to replace the screen on my 15" as the backlight has gone - not an inverter problem as there is still a screen image - where did you get the screen from as $180 is 90 quid hehe!

K

jmoh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008

jmoh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2008
well guys, its offical- i am an idiot :(

it turns out the lcd screen i received didn't have that little magnet i was talking about, and so i installed it without it. i went right now and found my broken lcd and found the magnet still attached to it. well i took off the magnet, and im able to make the computer go to sleep by placing the magnet right on the bottom middle of the keyboard. im pretty angry, because i don't want to take all the screws off, remove the logic board, scrape off the thermal paste, and remove the screen just to access the back of the lcd screen again... anyone got a suggestion? i attached some pics of the magnet and where it goes. (its cool to see how the magnet is attracted to the region.

IMG00009.jpg

IMG00011.jpg

IMG00012.jpg

monkey86

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2008
London
im sure there is a way to disable the wakeup/sleep function of the mac when the screen is moved. if you can do that then the cmd, option, eject combo to put your mac to sleep will be the easiest way!

EDIT!

in your pics you have the little magnet on the back of the lcd casing - if you put it INSIDE the back of the lcd casing would it work? so basically when you applied your green apple logo put the magnet there (wherever it works best) and then close up the top - it wont be attached to the screen but it should work!

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
well guys, its offical- i am an idiot :(

it turns out the lcd screen i received didn't have that little magnet i was talking about, and so i installed it without it. i went right now and found my broken lcd and found the magnet still attached to it. well i took off the magnet, and im able to make the computer go to sleep by placing the magnet right on the bottom middle of the keyboard. im pretty angry, because i don't want to take all the screws off, remove the logic board, scrape off the thermal paste, and remove the screen just to access the back of the lcd screen again... anyone got a suggestion? i attached some pics of the magnet and where it goes. (its cool to see how the magnet is attracted to the region.

DOHHHHHHH!!!
ROFL!

ansirone

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2007
City of Angeles
im trying to get my 1 ghz machine fixed myself. the bottom of my case has a big dent close to where the ram cover is. any suggestions on what to do? and the screen also shows the white spots on it. is it even worth fixing? what do you you think?

MistaBungle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2005
Nice job on the fix jmoh!

My screen is starting to go and actually today my OEM charger just kicked the bucket. So it is collecting dust for a while.

Hoping for Macbook upgrades soooooooon!!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
im trying to get my 1 ghz machine fixed myself. the bottom of my case has a big dent close to where the ram cover is. any suggestions on what to do? and the screen also shows the white spots on it. is it even worth fixing? what do you you think?

I replaced my bottom case, but I swear I'll never do it again. With the screen should you plan to replace it, I'd do it when you replace the bottom case.

IOW: The only way to fix the dent is replace the part.

monkey86

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2008
London
im still waiting for a screen :( also does anyone know if i can put the far more accessible 15" (NOT The 1280x854 screen) in a pb 15" 1Ghz

Kreisbrecher

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2008
Nice job! Maybe I have to do the same (sooner or later). The display of my MBP was replaced in May (it had white spots). In August another new spot (on the new display) appeared. I went to my local Apple Partner and he told that is too small and I should return when it has "grown". Great. The warranty is running out in November and I right now I hoping that this damn spots really grows... Does anyone has an idea how I can foster this process a bit?
I know it is not honest but I had some much problems with my MPB since I bought last year (1x broken RAM modules, 1 x white spots... and the case is twisted to one side (so that the lid is not closing properly anymore)) that I want it as much functional as possible bevor the warranty runs out. I expect the worst after that happens.:(

Thank you,
Mark

wyun0514

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2008
Internal Harddrive to PC external

Hello. I had a powerbook G4 that I bought in 2004. Its not doing to well, but I was able to salvage the internal harddrive (60 gb). I bought a HP notebook yesterday, and I am wondering if anyone knew if it is possible, if at all to use the mac internal harddrive as an external PC harddrive? I appreciate your responses ahead of time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.