Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Aug 5, 2008, 03:56 AM   #1
4nr-
macrumors regular

Macbook wont start, boot from install disc

Hey!

When I turn on my macbook, a folder with a flashing question mark pops up after a couple of minutes. The computer wont go any further than that. I have everything on this apple support page: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1365 . I have also removed the hard drive and put it in again.
I have tried booting from a mac os x install disc, but the computer refuses to boot from it (pressing c does nothing). The hard drive sometimes makes a clicking sound, so most probably there is something wrong with it, but I'd like to know if I can repair it using disk utility by booting from an install dvd. The install dvd is for my girlfriends macbook and is 10.5 eventhough my computer is 10.4 - dont know if that makes a difference.
4nr- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 04:46 AM   #2
misterredman
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nr- View Post
Hey!

When I turn on my macbook, a folder with a flashing question mark pops up after a couple of minutes. The computer wont go any further than that. I have everything on this apple support page: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1365 . I have also removed the hard drive and put it in again.
I have tried booting from a mac os x install disc, but the computer refuses to boot from it (pressing c does nothing). The hard drive sometimes makes a clicking sound, so most probably there is something wrong with it, but I'd like to know if I can repair it using disk utility by booting from an install dvd. The install dvd is for my girlfriends macbook and is 10.5 eventhough my computer is 10.4 - dont know if that makes a difference.
Usually you need the install DVD of your exact model and this may be the reason you didn't manage to boot from the DVD (different model discs may not work).
Anyway, try booting with the option key pressed: what choices you get? Does the HD show up?
If it doesn't show up it's probably gone and you need a new one. It could also be the something wrong with the mainboard and SATA controller although the clicking noise is usually a symptom of a broken HD. If your warranty is over your best bet is to buy a new HD.
If the HD shows up then you may be able to repair it although I would first backup important data (for example to your girlfriend MacBook through Target disk mode), in case something goes wrong with the repair.
misterredman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 06:48 AM   #3
4nr-
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterredman View Post
Usually you need the install DVD of your exact model and this may be the reason you didn't manage to boot from the DVD (different model discs may not work).
Anyway, try booting with the option key pressed: what choices you get? Does the HD show up?
If it doesn't show up it's probably gone and you need a new one. It could also be the something wrong with the mainboard and SATA controller although the clicking noise is usually a symptom of a broken HD. If your warranty is over your best bet is to buy a new HD.
If the HD shows up then you may be able to repair it although I would first backup important data (for example to your girlfriend MacBook through Target disk mode), in case something goes wrong with the repair.
I've tried the option key already, but it does nothing. As you said it's probably a broken hard drive. I'm going to go buy a firewire cable and try target disk mode. My last backup was 6 months ago - lesson learned. My warranty is out so I'll ahve to buy a new hard drive. It's incredible by how much the prices on these things have dropped since I last checked a couple of months ago.
4nr- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 08:24 AM   #4
KoolStar
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to KoolStar Send a message via Skype™ to KoolStar
Yep, you can get a 320gb hard drive for about $130.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 07:35 PM   #5
elitecrawford
macrumors newbie

macbook wont start after new harddrive installed

i am having a problem with my macbook. it keeps flashing a folder with a question mark and keeps making a clicking sound. i was told to install a new harddrive and i installed a new harddrive. I' m a mac novice so i am not sure what i need to do next since the new harddrive is in and i am still getting the folder with the question mark on it can someone tell me what the next step would be?
elitecrawford is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2009, 07:45 PM   #6
iLog.Genius
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterredman View Post
Not necessarily. You should be able to boot off any installation disc. It's what you can and cannot do which is the difference. You can take an installation disc from a MacBook Pro and insert and boot off of it on a MacBook. From there you can only run tests/utilities but not install.

If you're getting a folder with a question mark, it's probably an OS corruption. When you insert the disc, can you hear it spinning? Does it ever eject it after a short period of time? We might be looking at multiple hardware failures.
iLog.Genius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 05:56 AM   #7
mac14
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nr- View Post
I've tried the option key already, but it does nothing. As you said it's probably a broken hard drive. I'm going to go buy a firewire cable and try target disk mode. My last backup was 6 months ago - lesson learned. My warranty is out so I'll ahve to buy a new hard drive. It's incredible by how much the prices on these things have dropped since I last checked a couple of months ago.
hi iam probillay jsut being lazy not reading the whole thread but did geting a newdrive fix it, also i have a pc hard drive with the same conections so can i install on this one.
mac14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2009, 07:47 AM   #8
mac14
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac14 View Post
hi iam probillay jsut being lazy not reading the whole thread but did geting a newdrive fix it, also i have a pc hard drive with the same conections so can i install on this one.

got it work but thanks anyway
mac14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook