Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Aug 5, 2008, 08:47 AM   #1
rball1979
macrumors regular

Apple TV & Slingbox

All

I have a connection into a friends Slingbox in the US which I watch quite often on the computer. I also have a hacked ATV...does anyone know of anyway I can get Slingbox to install on the ATV so I can watch it through there?
rball1979 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 09:16 AM   #2
marklight
macrumors 6502

Fundamentally I do not understand your question. You may need to restate it.

Anyways, You don't have to install anything for Slingbox to work with a device. Slingbox simply takes the video and audio feeds from a device such as an Apple TV and sends them over the net. A person can control that device over the net because the Slingbox also has an IR controller that attaches to the devices IR receiver.

You probably already knew that. I have a slingbox and it works just fine with the Apple TV. But from what I gather from your post- you use Slingplayer to connect to your friends slingbox. and you have an Apple TV... and you want to ??? I'm not sure what you want to do but if you want it to be able to send its media over the internet like you do with slingbox, you'll have to go buy a slingbox for it to work. There's no software only solutions that I'm aware - even with a hacked Apple TV.
marklight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 09:28 AM   #3
rball1979
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by marklight View Post
Fundamentally I do not understand your question. You may need to restate it.

Anyways, You don't have to install anything for Slingbox to work with a device. Slingbox simply takes the video and audio feeds from a device such as an Apple TV and sends them over the net. A person can control that device over the net because the Slingbox also has an IR controller that attaches to the devices IR receiver.

You probably already knew that. I have a slingbox and it works just fine with the Apple TV. But from what I gather from your post- you use Slingplayer to connect to your friends slingbox. and you have an Apple TV... and you want to ??? I'm not sure what you want to do but if you want it to be able to send its media over the internet like you do with slingbox, you'll have to go buy a slingbox for it to work. There's no software only solutions that I'm aware - even with a hacked Apple TV.

Sorry, that was a bit unclear wasn't it. Yes, I use Slingplayer on the Mac (in the UK) to watch my friends Slingbox (which is physically located in the US). Is there a way in which I can install the Slingplayer software on the ATV? It seems unlikely but thought I'd ask.

Apologies for the confusion!
rball1979 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 09:28 AM   #4
blutackey
macrumors newbie

This is as far as anyone has gotten so far:
http://www.slingcommunity.com/forum/...-on-Apple-TV-/

While one or two people say they got it running, I have been trying for the last few days with no luck, always getting the thing to run but as soon as a stream is about to start the software resets. Any help would be great!
blutackey is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater