Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdragoni1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
I was curious about opinions regarding Flash Card Apps.

GFlash+ was just added and is free; Flash My Brain runs for 7.99 and has had some harsh reviews; and Study Cards is on sale at 9.99 and many of the reviewers are raving about it.

It sounds kind of cut and dry, but Flash My Brain apparently did a recent update that fixed many of the complaints so I'm kind of at a impasse for which to buy. I downloaded GFlash+ and at the surface it appears wanting.

Thanks,

mdragoni1

Kraln

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
I'm the developer of gFlash+. I'd love to hear any concerns you have, what you like, what you didn't like, what could be improved.

You should be aware that it is a 'port' of our blackberry application, and doesn't yet have the full feature set that we'd like. We're going to be continuously improving it.

-Jeff
gWhiz LLC

unknowng

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
iFlipr

Check out iFlipr. I've been using it for about 2 weeks and I love it. I've actually gotten everyone in my medical school class with an iPhone to buy it. It's well worth the 9.99. You can demo the "trial" lite version for free.

Greg

Kraln

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
Check out iFlipr. I've been using it for about 2 weeks and I love it. I've actually gotten everyone in my medical school class with an iPhone to buy it. It's well worth the 9.99. You can demo the "trial" lite version for free.

Great, but I still haven't heard any feature requests, or even suggestions. Or anything.

doctajay

macrumors member
May 2, 2007
I'm the developer of gFlash+. I'd love to hear any concerns you have, what you like, what you didn't like, what could be improved.

You should be aware that it is a 'port' of our blackberry application, and doesn't yet have the full feature set that we'd like. We're going to be continuously improving it.

-Jeff
gWhiz LLC

For GFlash, I've been using it for about a day or two trying to transfer my medical school cards to it and it works pretty well using the Google Docs template but when viewing the cards on my iPhone I'm realizing that I can't view the cards in landscape mode. My flash cards tend to have alot of text for the question and the answers so the current way gFlash displays it doesn't help me too much.

Kraln

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
For GFlash, I've been using it for about a day or two trying to transfer my medical school cards to it and it works pretty well using the Google Docs template

Great!
but when viewing the cards on my iPhone I'm realizing that I can't view the cards in landscape mode. My flash cards tend to have alot of text for the question and the answers so the current way gFlash displays it doesn't help me too much.

We're working on two new display modes: landscape, and 'flip'.

Landscape shows the two sides of the 'card' side by side full screen in landscape mode, and 'flip' shows first one side, then the other. Would these make it more useful for you?

We expect to push the update in a week or so.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
i've tried a few apps and settled on Learn.......found it to be the best looking of the bunch

doctajay

macrumors member
May 2, 2007
Great!

We're working on two new display modes: landscape, and 'flip'.

Landscape shows the two sides of the 'card' side by side full screen in landscape mode, and 'flip' shows first one side, then the other. Would these make it more useful for you?

We expect to push the update in a week or so.

That would be perfect. The lack of landscape is the main reason why I was thinking of using iFlipr instead. I'll wait until I see your update.

unknowng

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
Great, but I still haven't heard any feature requests, or even suggestions. Or anything.

Maybe that's because this thread wasn't about feature requests for your specific product. The original poster wanted opinions on flash card apps, not just yours.

BTW the features you described in your last post, iFlipr already does. It also has a WYSIWYG editor (beta) which allows for a lot of formatting flexibiliby. Looks like you've got a good product, I'm just giving an opinion on a different one.

Greg

Motley

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2005
M

BTW the features you described in your last post, iFlipr already does. It also has a WYSIWYG editor (beta) which allows for a lot of formatting flexibiliby. Looks like you've got a good product, I'm just giving an opinion on a different one.

Greg

Can you do multiple choice(guess) with iFlipr, I downloaded the lite version and didn't see it. I consider it a very nice feature.

Perhaps you could start your own thread asking for suggestions. I've seen some devs do in in this and other forums.

Haven't used it much, but so here are my amateurish suggestions:
-The ability to make cards using the iphone. Type using keyboard or select pics from iphone gallery, which would of course involve letting the user keep pic flashcards on the phone.

-Sound for language learning, though I know of no easy way of doing it other than having the user record the sound using iphone (more difficult for the touch) or using a method similar to what you currently use for pictures.

-Some sort of multi matching cards, for example languages would have a pic, foreign word, english word, pronunciation and the ability to switch between what one is studying.

joecode

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2008
multiple choice

Hello Everyone,

Developer of iFlipr here. Just to say, iFlipr doesn't have multiple choice yet, but it will be coming in the next update (~2 weeks).

Thanks Greg for getting the word out!

Joe

Penny Dreadful

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2008
I'm trying to hold out to see what David McGavern (iFlash) has up his sleeve. He states in his blog that he's working on bringing the program over for the iPhone.

joecode

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2008
BTW, just curious if you might not have noticed iFlipr while you were doing your research. Is it that it didn't appear to be a flashcard program, or did you write it off for some reason or another?

Thanks,
Joe

I was curious about opinions regarding Flash Card Apps.

GFlash+ was just added and is free; Flash My Brain runs for 7.99 and has had some harsh reviews; and Study Cards is on sale at 9.99 and many of the reviewers are raving about it.

It sounds kind of cut and dry, but Flash My Brain apparently did a recent update that fixed many of the complaints so I'm kind of at a impasse for which to buy. I downloaded GFlash+ and at the surface it appears wanting.

Thanks,

mdragoni1

Drew McCormack

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2002
Mental Case

We are a bit late to the party, because we didn't get the go ahead from Apple until after the App Store opened, but we are now beta testing Mental Case for iPhone (http://www.macflashcards.com). It should be in the App Store in the next few weeks, and will be completely free. You will have to have Mental Case for Mac for it to be useful though, because it syncs flash cards from the Mac via wifi.

Drew McCormack
Mental Case Developer

doctajay

macrumors member
May 2, 2007
Hello Everyone,

Developer of iFlipr here. Just to say, iFlipr doesn't have multiple choice yet, but it will be coming in the next update (~2 weeks).

Thanks Greg for getting the word out!

Joe

iflipr is actually the programming I'm demoing right now. It works pretty well to me, and I may purchase it. I wish there was a native program on the Mac that it could sync to via wifi but the online app is pretty good too. I'm just worried about something happening to your server (which is a possibility for any company) and all of my cards being lost. But the program works pretty flawlessly right now.

I'm trying to hold out to see what David McGavern (iFlash) has up his sleeve. He states in his blog that he's working on bringing the program over for the iPhone.

I bought iflash and it helped me through my 1st year of medical school but David seems quite slow to bringing it to the iPhone. On his blog he said that it is tentatively coming at "some time" in the future. I'll probably be graduating by the time it comes out.

We are a bit late to the party, because we didn't get the go ahead from Apple until after the App Store opened, but we are now beta testing Mental Case for iPhone (http://www.macflashcards.com). It should be in the App Store in the next few weeks, and will be completely free. You will have to have Mental Case for Mac for it to be useful though, because it syncs flash cards from the Mac via wifi.

Drew McCormack
Mental Case Developer

Looks good, but I wouldn't get either until I can see what the iPhone app is like. I'll keep an eye on this though.

joecode

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2008
iflipr is actually the programming I'm demoing right now. It works pretty well to me, and I may purchase it. I wish there was a native program on the Mac that it could sync to via wifi but the online app is pretty good too. I'm just worried about something happening to your server (which is a possibility for any company) and all of my cards being lost. But the program works pretty flawlessly right now.

Nothing to worry about there, unless I happen to kick the bucket myself without giving anyone the root password. But seriously, iFlipr is gearing up to be a seriously sustainable business, and even if revenue should go down to zero, I'll keep it running anyway. Its great for the resume, if nothing else. The cost of the server isn't too high, and there are backups running, so no worries. :)

Kraln

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
Version 0.3i was just pushed to the app store and it has a lot of the features you guys were asking for, more to follow =)

AdamUCF11

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2008
I see in the thread that earlier you mentioned that flash cards could be viewed in landscape mode. I have the most up-to-date version of gFlash+ running on my iphone 3g, but it does not go into landscape mode.

Benefits to gFlash+

1. Easy. Allows the creation of flash cards that can be created on google documents and then uploaded to your device ( mine being an Iphone currently, but once a blackberry). Google allows many flash card-sets to be created and the application allows access to all of them.

2. Multiple Choice. From the card-set created, your device can shuffle your answers and display (4) terms that you must choose from that correspond to the definition given. There are also other modes such as reversible Q and A, and One-card mode within the options.

3. Portability and time. Creating cards online are easy, but carrying them on your phone rather than physical cards is by far more convenient. Data is easy to create and take less time than creating physical cards.

4. Accuracy. If you tell the device you didn't get a card right or you want to circle back to the card after finishing the card set, it will mark it with a little red box, which signals the device to then return to the missed or "incorrect" cards in the end to retest your knowledge.

5. FREE! Many other applications supported by the iphone and blackberry devices cost money for flash card software. This is such a great product to utilize for studying. If you do enjoy it, please consider donating or contributing to the programers and editors who have worked very hard to produce and create updates for the software.

As a college student at the University of Central florida, this application helps tremendously for learning new vocabulary. Yet, I would suggest a few things about any updates or future software versions:

Ways gFlash+ could be improved:

1. The option to view the flash cards one-by-one on your own time, rather than them shuffling through them randomly each time the application is opened.

2. "In deck" editing would be helpful for cards you would like to add information to, rather than going to a computer, signing in, finding card set, locating card, typing information, deleting card-set on handheld, uploading card-set on handheld.

3. A way to view the cards in landscape mode. I know it was mentioned earlier in the thread but it doesn't turn when the phone is turned.

4. Ability to place folders on the device to separate card-sets. (ie. Biology cards, Chemistry cards, Math Formula cards, etc)

5. More descriptive information on creating card-sets in google docs and more options for adding things into card sets (pictures, labeling diagrams, different fonts, card colors, layouts, designs, etc)

Although these suggestions sound very specific, I believe it would make a better product and people would be more willing to contribute. From the itunes store, the application "Flash my Brain flashcards" has many visual features that would make your product more appealing. I believe that with the visual appeal and the current "test yourself" options, the product would be the best on the market. I know that if it becomes any more convenient and customizable for myself, I would be willing to contribute for the hard-work. Just giving you some feedback...

Thanks,
-Adam-

ewiley28

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2008
Austin, TX
Anyone looked into these recently??

I'm hoping someone has a flashcard app recommendation, because there are a dozen or so now and time crunch is part of the reason I want the app.

Parameters I'm looking for:
1. Have no problem spending on the app if it's good. Price seems doable on any of the ones I saw in the store.
2. Want a way to input the cards on the big computer, not just the phone. Bonus if I can input a video or audio or picture rather than just text
3. Really want a way to put cards into lists. Perhaps tagging them would work? But way to quickly grab a "playlist" of cards.
4. Some sort of way to indicate when I answer a card whether I was confident or not that affects its likelihood of appearing again. Or a "memorization scheme", just something other than all of them with equal likelihood.
5. Related, definitely want randomization.

So, who is my best bet?

bndoarn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
I use iCards and I love it. I don't use it much anymore because school's out for now but I used it for Spanish and I can definitely see my self using it for Spanish again next year as well. I like how it looks simple and it's simple to use.

Cubesworth

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2009
Feedback

-Jeff
gWhiz LLC

Jeff, I absolutely have some feedback... No matter what I try doing, I can`t get your program to upload anything to my iPhone... its telling me that I have a bad connection... regardless of the connection I am on. I`ve literally sat next to my wireless connection to try uploading it and it`s not worked.

Is this a result of my phone being a 3GS? Any other ideas on how I fix this?

Kraln

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
I can`t get your program to upload anything to my iPhone... its telling me that I have a bad connection... regardless of the connection I am on.

Any other ideas on how I fix this?

It looks like google updated their underlying API on us. We have a thread about it here:

http://forum.gwhizmobile.com/showthread.php?t=198

There is a work around for gFlashPro on the iPhone/iPod touch via
sharing with gwhizmobile@gmail.com, then downloading from the gWhiz
Catalog to your device. We've temporarily pulled gFlash+ from the
AppStore while we work through this issue. We have fixes in the review
queue with Apple for both applications but Apple typically takes several
days to review applications before posting them.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.