Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jesse Smith

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2003
Planet Zeekois
Is there a good application to edit .mov or .mp4 files? Good as in where you have the option to copy just the video or just the sound and paste it in another .mov/.mp4 file? I've looked at QuickTime (Paid version.) and iMovie and it looks like they don't have these options.

If one of these programs do allow this, there a guide some where on how to do it that this n00bie :D can use?!

Smartcom5

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2008
[…] that this n00bie :D can use it [sic? :D] ?!

I'm not really sure if anybody can do this right … :D

• Select the duration, piece or whatever [⇧+click; change an selected duration by using ⇠ and ⇢ while pressing ⇧ - for frame-exact selecting]
  • Copy & paste it to your another movie
  • Press ⌘+J for the movie properties
  • Delete this kind of movie, you don't want to have inside [delete the audio-track, if you only want to have the video and vice versa]
You can also extract the whole audio track and paste it into another movie [and save this one as an mp3 e.g.], if you only want to have the audio track of an movie - or vice versa. ;)

Helpful ? :)

In this sense

Smartcom

Jesse Smith

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2003
Planet Zeekois
Yes that did help, using QuickTime Player! Thanks. Audio be gone.

Now, with the original audio gone, how would I add my own audio to it?

DaveF

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2007
NoVA
Yes that did help, using QuickTime Player! Thanks. Audio be gone.

Now, with the original audio gone, how would I add my own audio to it?

iMovie 08. Use the media browser, select an audio file and drag it into your project and it's set as the background clip.

Jesse Smith

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2003
Planet Zeekois
OK, I quickly found out iMovie is really annoying when it comes to editing movie files. Over on Apples discussion forum, I found a *much* easior way to add audio, using QuickTime.

Take out the original audio, using Smartcom5's post, copy audio you want in video, select the part of the video you want to have the audio on, and do the 'Add to Selection & Scale' option. Bam! It has your audio on the section selected, with out it all just being pasted between a frame!!!!

DaveF

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2007
NoVA
OK, I quickly found out iMovie is really annoying when it comes to editing movie files. Over on Apples discussion forum, I found a *much* easior way to add audio, using QuickTime.

Take out the original audio, using Smartcom5's post, copy audio you want in video, select the part of the video you want to have the audio on, and do the 'Add to Selection & Scale' option. Bam! It has your audio on the section selected, with out it all just being pasted between a frame!!!!
Good to know. I do audio replacement sometimes, but I've been too cheap to buy QuickTime Pro, since I already have iMovie 08. Maybe I'll spend the $30 next time I need to do this.

Samme

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2008
Is there a good application to edit .mov or .mp4 files? Good as in where you have the option to copy just the video or just the sound and paste it in another .mov/.mp4 file? I've looked at QuickTime (Paid version.) and iMovie and it looks like they don't have these options.

If one of these programs do allow this, there a guide some where on how to do it that this n00bie :D can use?!

Of course they can if you holding the QT Pro. There is an article to tell you how (http://www.video-x-ware.com/?p=13), and there is an tutorial to guide you how (http://www.mov-converter.com/articles/how-to-convert-mov-to-mp4-with-quicktime-pro-7.html)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.