Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

View Poll Results: Do YOU use your MacBook as a "desktop"??
Yes, use it in desktop mode 64 35.96%
(Kinda) Yes, use both an external monitor/MacBook screen 55 30.90%
No, though i would like to 18 10.11%
No way! Its a portable! 41 23.03%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 5, 2008, 08:35 PM   #1
ki2594
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to ki2594
Do YOU use your MacBook as a "desktop"??

Hey guys, hope everyone is doing well

Just a quick poll because im just curious on how many people (like me) use there MacBook's in desktop mode or for those who don't know, use an external display, keyboard, and mouse with the MacBook lid closed. (also i use speakers but thats beside the point)

So i'm putting 4 options:

1: Yes, use it in desktop mode
2: (Kinda) Yes, use MacBook screen with an external monitor
3: No, though I would like to
4: No way! Its a portable!
ki2594 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 08:37 PM   #2
NotFound
macrumors 6502a

Anytime I am at home I use mine at my desktop with keyboard, monitor(as second display to macbook screen) and mouse.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 08:40 PM   #3
pbkiller
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to pbkiller Send a message via Skype™ to pbkiller
PORTABLE......

I have a MacPro, so its always on the go with me. I use it mostly around the house and when i go to my gf's house.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 08:43 PM   #4
scott85213
macrumors member

I haven't really used it as a laptop for a while. It just sits on my desk with a mouse plugged in, I don't use an external keyboard or monitor.
scott85213 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 08:58 PM   #5
pattman247
macrumors regular

yes I do, its an amazing desktop. I love the fact that when you plug it in it basically becomes a computer similar to that beige box sitting on the floor. It is like having two computers in one, one that sits on my desk till I need to go somewhere. I find that much better than backing up documents for two computers.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 09:02 PM   #6
JML42691
macrumors 68020

In your terms, no, but during the summer months my computer almost never leaves my desk, constantly plugged into the charger (except to calibrate the battery), my TM Hard Drive, and the printer. So I almost consider it a desktop over the summer, but during the school months, my laptop is the absolute definition of portable.
JML42691 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 09:03 PM   #7
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
i use my MBP as my desktop, does that count?? haha
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 09:55 PM   #8
ki2594
macrumors 6502a

Def. counts. hah

I just didn't put pro since this is the MacBook forum

anyway yeah it is a great desktop. I know a lot of people told me don't just rely on one machine for EVERYTHING...that was when i used windows (nothing against windows, but os x is just better for me at least as of now.)
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:07 PM   #9
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
I have a macbook pro, but I voted anyway. About 1/2 the time it's in my room, it's attached to a 19" monitor, wireless mouse and keyboard, and external backup drive.

And about 1/2 of that time I run windows on it
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:12 PM   #10
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

yes, with external mouse/KB/monitor/HD... until today! Today is new imac day!!
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:16 PM   #11
ki2594
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCassidy352 View Post
congrats!

If i had some enough money right now...i would def. buy an iMac. I would actually buy a mac mini if i had money LOL just so i can have a desktop and a laptop so yea!
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:37 PM   #12
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki2594 View Post
Def. counts. hah

I just didn't put pro since this is the MacBook forum

anyway yeah it is a great desktop. I know a lot of people told me don't just rely on one machine for EVERYTHING...that was when i used windows (nothing against windows, but os x is just better for me at least as of now.)
aahh i see, i didnt realise that i always thought that the notebooks were under the same thingo..

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
I have a macbook pro, but I voted anyway. About 1/2 the time it's in my room, it's attached to a 19" monitor, wireless mouse and keyboard, and external backup drive.

And about 1/2 of that time I run windows on it
me too got a 19 incher and a coupla HD's conencted via firewire, EyeTv and everything else to go theres a PC sitting under my desk but who wants to use that . it basically keeps my legs warm.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 07:22 PM   #13
patrickmacrumor
macrumors regular

Quote:
Def. counts. hah

I know a lot of people told me don't just rely on one machine for EVERYTHING...that was when i used windows (nothing against windows, but os x is just better for me at least as of now.)
I'm among those who don't rely on only one computer. Although I use my MacBook almost exclusively, there are a few other computers around in the house that I could use, should something happened to my MacBook. The latter was a replacement from Apple. The original 1st generation was plagued with problems, although the screen was much better than the current one IMO. So, having been burnt once...I am more careful. Plus I really need a working computer all the time for my University part-time courses.

Anyway, back to the OP's question. I use my MacBook as a desktop 90% of the time, with a wireless keyboard/mouse, a Dell 19" LCD, and an external HDD. Having two screens to work with is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCassidy352 View Post
Lucky you...I would have bought an iMac instead of a MacBook if I did not need portability from time to time.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 07:25 PM   #14
toolbox
macrumors 68020

Mine stays connected all the time to either a 22 inch at home or a 17 inch at work.

I don't often use it as a portable, well unless i have meetings or something.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 07:26 PM   #15
sushi
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoFoT9 View Post
i use my MBP as my desktop, does that count?? haha
Same here.

Upgraded the HD and RAM. Works well for me.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 07:36 PM   #16
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi View Post
Same here.

Upgraded the HD and RAM. Works well for me.
ive still got the stock 100gb HD that came with it. its starting to go i can feel it (i know i spend too much time with her). probably gonna get a 320gb soon when they come down a tad more. i have tons of space at home, just not enough for when i go to uni and whatnot.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 08:16 PM   #17
cambridge1807
macrumors member

I've recently just used my macbook exclusively after ditching my desktop. It was too much of a hassle to keep both files/folders consistent on my Windows desktop and macbook. I gave my desktop to my brother, and run my macbook with a 22" external monitor, bluetooth keyboard, and wireless mouse. I even take out the battery and keep it plugged in to save the battery from overcharging. Hopefully this method extends the battery life, but I also have to be careful not to touch the power adapter or else everything goes "poof".

One downside is that my macbook runs a little hot, as the lid is closed. I definitely feel heat on my wood desk. I guess turning up the fans wouldn't hurt every once in a while. It runs ~60 degrees C, not sure if that's about right though.
cambridge1807 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 08:21 PM   #18
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cambridge1807 View Post
I've recently just used my macbook exclusively after ditching my desktop. It was too much of a hassle to keep both files/folders consistent on my Windows desktop and macbook. I gave my desktop to my brother, and run my macbook with a 22" external monitor, bluetooth keyboard, and wireless mouse. I even take out the battery and keep it plugged in to save the battery from overcharging. Hopefully this method extends the battery life, but I also have to be careful not to touch the power adapter or else everything goes "poof".

One downside is that my macbook runs a little hot, as the lid is closed. I definitely feel heat on my wood desk. I guess turning up the fans wouldn't hurt every once in a while. It runs ~60 degrees C, not sure if that's about right though.
i also use the take out the battery method with my MBP. it saves on cycles but it wont prevent overcharging ( mainly because it wouldn't overcharge anyway).

if i were you id use both the MB and the external because you get extra screen space. why bother not using it when its right there? it will also save on heat as well. 60C is ok, mine running idle while open sits on about 55C and gets to 80C easy when doing stuff but it wont go above that. at your temperature it wont harm it at all so dont worry about it.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 08:32 PM   #19
ki2594
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
i also use the take out the battery method with my MBP. it saves on cycles but it wont prevent overcharging ( mainly because it wouldn't overcharge anyway).

if i were you id use both the MB and the external because you get extra screen space. why bother not using it when its right there? it will also save on heat as well. 60C is ok, mine running idle while open sits on about 55C and gets to 80C easy when doing stuff but it wont go above that. at your temperature it wont harm it at all so dont worry about it.
Apple suggests NOT taking your battery out. IT still saves cycles if you just leave the charger on with the battery in. Thats what i do and my mAH of my battery is like 5400 (started at 5020 i think).

And i sometimes use both the external and macbook screen but sometimes i just like having one screen and not having to look back and forth
Old Aug 7, 2008, 08:34 PM   #20
kabunaru

I use my MacBook as a portable-desktop.
kabunaru is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 08:46 PM   #21
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Quote:
Apple suggests NOT taking your battery out. IT still saves cycles if you just leave the charger on with the battery in. Thats what i do and my mAH of my battery is like 5400 (started at 5020 i think).

And i sometimes use both the external and macbook screen but sometimes i just like having one screen and not having to look back and forth
this is one of the arguments ive had many times before, leaving the battery in will eventually use up power cycles and after 6 months that could lead to 30minutes difference in the future, id rather have that extra battery time so thats why i take it out.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 08:49 PM   #22
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
this is one of the arguments ive had many times before, leaving the battery in will eventually use up power cycles and after 6 months that could lead to 30minutes difference in the future, id rather have that extra battery time so thats why i take it out.
i do and works well

as for the battery thing, i will say leaving it in has saved me when i have experienced power outages
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 08:55 PM   #23
yossarian1010
macrumors newbie

Never thought a "low end" laptop would become my desktop

In the end I voted for Yes. I use it in dual screen mode to maximize viewing real estate, but I haven't untethered from my Cinema Display in more than six months. The layer of dust accumulated on the MacBook is nearly as thick as the layer on top of the external display.
yossarian1010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 08:59 PM   #24
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
i do and works well

as for the battery thing, i will say leaving it in has saved me when i have experienced power outages
well thats up to you then i have my own opinion on it. we dont have blackouts here any more they have fixed the problems now so we are sweet. if we DID have a blackout it would only be when i dont have any work open anyway (the computer is just folding) so its sweet and i dont mind.

i just prefer taking the battery out for the extra cycles and less heat and therefore stress on the computer as a whole.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 09:28 PM   #25
ki2594
macrumors 6502a

im pretty sure they solved that once a battery is fully charged, nothing else will be taken in, keeping the battery health as it is. And ive done this for 5 months...im over 100% health? So im pretty sure it doesn't matter. Plus you lose your performance without the battery. Like if you have a 2.0GHZ machine, it goes down to 1.0GH with the battery out (read it somewhere on Apple.com)

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook