Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Aug 5, 2008, 08:43 PM   #1
edstittle
macrumors newbie

Read Ebooks Offline on Touch/Iphone

Hey People

My iPod arrives tomorrow and I've got a pretty large collection of ebooks ready to put on. I understand all the jailbreaking and ssh stuff so I'll set that up once I have it.

It doesn't appear theres any easy way to store ebooks for offline viewing. The majority of them are in .txt or .pdf (few are .htm). I see you can do it with File Magnet but they haven't brought out an uploader for Windows yet (unless you could use a FTP?). Apparently you can download them as email attatchments although that would be tedious due to the large number. If possible can I have an app which reads them? Otherwise I'll have to settle for a more clunky PDF viewer?

Anyone know how I'd set ebooks up for offline viewing?

Thanks .
edstittle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 09:02 PM   #2
fleshman03
macrumors 68000

Check out Stanza from the app store. They claim that you are able to get our own ebooks onto the iphone/iPod Touch.

I use it, but only with books I've downloaded from within the program. (They have a pretty good collection too.

Oh and it's the best price on the app store - free.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 09:08 PM   #3
edstittle
macrumors newbie

Cool thanks for the reply. I'll download it and give it a try.

Maybe I could SSH them to where Stranza stores it's downloaded ebooks.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:45 PM   #4
fleshman03
macrumors 68000

If you are intent on jailbreaking it, you might be able to do that.

I just looked up how to get your ebooks on the iPhone/ iPod Touch. Here. I just did it and can say it works.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 11:25 PM   #5
MacBlackBook22
macrumors 6502

Stanza is great I use it for reading my ebooks that I have saved on my mac. Very easy to use the best reading app available so far
Old Aug 6, 2008, 01:33 AM   #6
Night Spring
macrumors G3

There is a recently released app called "Files" that sounds like it could also be used to read ebooks -- I believe it allows you to view files in most standard formats like pdf, txt, and html. I've been thinking about whether to take the dive and buy it or not...
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 03:28 AM   #7
SaSaSushi
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleshman03 View Post
Check out Stanza from the app store. They claim that you are able to get our own ebooks onto the iphone/iPod Touch.

I use it, but only with books I've downloaded from within the program. (They have a pretty good collection too.

Oh and it's the best price on the app store - free.
I agree that Stanza is awesome but keep in mind it is only free while it is still in beta. Once it is officially released you will need to pay for the desktop application.

Using the desktop app it is quite easy to import your own e-books to the Touch for reading in Stanza. I use it every day.
SaSaSushi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 11:44 AM   #8
MacBlackBook22
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Spring View Post
There is a recently released app called "Files" that sounds like it could also be used to read ebooks -- I believe it allows you to view files in most standard formats like pdf, txt, and html. I've been thinking about whether to take the dive and buy it or not...
Don't do it if you are looking to read ebooks on it. I tried it and it was a mess as it doesn't have a text increase you have to zoom in with the fingers and then you end up having to move the screen all the time to read. It would be okay for a document but not for reading a book
Old Aug 6, 2008, 02:48 PM   #9
danimal99
macrumors regular

Why not use the eReader app? It's free and imports from either their store or some other source. You just put in the URL.
danimal99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 08:10 PM   #10
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal99 View Post
Why not use the eReader app? It's free and imports from either their store or some other source. You just put in the URL.
But what about ebooks you already have on your hard drive? Does eReader offer a way to transfer those to the Touch/iPhone?

On another note, Stanza just came out with a Windows version of its Desktop program, so I downloaded it and tried it. I'm disappointed to find it doesn't have a way of transferring multiple ebooks at once -- you can only transfer one book at a time! That gets tedious very quickly.

And thank you to the poster who pointed out Files doesn't offer font scaling. So I guess I'm still waiting for my perfect ebook app... *sigh*
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 10:23 AM   #11
edstittle
macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply's. Bloody thing has been delayed so looks like I'm not getting it now for another week which I am so annoyed about. I think it's silly how there's no simple method for transferring them on a windows computer.

I'll try all the above methods out and let you know how I get on when it does arrive so thanks .

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch