Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Aug 6, 2008, 11:56 AM   #1
asdfTT123
macrumors regular

Mint condition 1st gen 8GB iPhone worth $300?

I'm considering purchasing one for a friend. The phone is on 1.1.4 FW and has yet to be unlocked. The person on the forum has good feedback and he says the phone is in pristine condition in exception of a tiny scratch right by the speaker at the top, though barely noticeable. He's also including a silicon case and 3-4 screen protectors. Is it worth it at this price? If something like this was on ebay, how much would it go for? Should I pick this up for my friend? Thanks.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 11:58 AM   #2
thechidz
Banned

FWIW even if mine wasnt mint, I wouldn't settle for anything less than 300, not even 400 really
thechidz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 12:03 PM   #3
SFStateStudent
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SFStateStudent Send a message via Yahoo to SFStateStudent Send a message via Skype™ to SFStateStudent
Definitely worth it, since I sold one on CL for $475 and one on eBay for $425, both 8GB LOCKED to AT&T.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 12:04 PM   #4
robd54
macrumors member

Yeah, $300 would be a bargain. I had a MINT 1st Gen 8GB that was still in the protective wrap as I got a warranty exchange (rebooted all the time). Got it swapped as I was going to give it to my wife, but she wanted to keep her Curve. I sold it locally on Craigslist for $325 and know I could've gotten alot more on eBay.
robd54 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 12:17 PM   #5
nomar383
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to nomar383
Sold mine for $450 shipped on the forums. I'd say $300 ain't bad.
SABCommand (SABnzbd+ Front-End)
nomar383 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 01:30 PM   #6
NiroshanMan
macrumors 6502

damnit i wish i sold mine on craigslist, there are a lot of better deals on there than on ebay cause peopel don't know much. i posted on craigslist only realizing after i had posted it on ebay, the craigslist post had not actually been posted, so i was puzzled at why i didn't get any replies! oh well i sold mine in perfect condition for $385 when i bought it for $350 refurb, i definitley could have sold it for more.
NiroshanMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 01:45 PM   #7
aneftp
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfTT123 View Post
I'm considering purchasing one for a friend. The phone is on 1.1.4 FW and has yet to be unlocked. The person on the forum has good feedback and he says the phone is in pristine condition in exception of a tiny scratch right by the speaker at the top, though barely noticeable. He's also including a silicon case and 3-4 screen protectors. Is it worth it at this price? If something like this was on ebay, how much would it go for? Should I pick this up for my friend? Thanks.
Yes $300 is a "fair" market price for the iPhone (first gen) that's in good condition.

I sold one of my iPhone (mint) with the original accessories for $325 3 months ago and I also sold my brother's (mint) just the phone (without headphones/charger/doc) for $275.

Personally I wouldn't pay more than $350 for a mint condition iPhone with accessories.

I've had so many phone calls when I posted my brother's iPhone (advertised for $275) (without any original accessories) from craigslist. I got 50 text messages, 30 emails, and numerous phone calls inquiring about the phone within 2 hours of posting it.

Some people are greedy, I've seen the same ads re-posted on craigslist from people trying to sell their iPhone (first gen) for $450-500 (8GB). Depends if you want to sell fast and how much is making $50-100 extra to you. Some idiots are still trying to sell their iPhone with cracks on the screen for $300. Who would want to pay $300 for a used cracked screen iphone first gen?
Old Aug 6, 2008, 02:19 PM   #8
abijnk
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to abijnk
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Yes $300 is a "fair" market price for the iPhone (first gen) that's in good condition.

I sold one of my iPhone (mint) with the original accessories for $325 3 months ago and I also sold my brother's (mint) just the phone (without headphones/charger/doc) for $275.

Personally I wouldn't pay more than $350 for a mint condition iPhone with accessories.

I've had so many phone calls when I posted my brother's iPhone (advertised for $275) (without any original accessories) from craigslist. I got 50 text messages, 30 emails, and numerous phone calls inquiring about the phone within 2 hours of posting it.

Some people are greedy, I've seen the same ads re-posted on craigslist from people trying to sell their iPhone (first gen) for $450-500 (8GB). Depends if you want to sell fast and how much is making $50-100 extra to you. Some idiots are still trying to sell their iPhone with cracks on the screen for $300. Who would want to pay $300 for a used cracked screen iphone first gen?
Well, I hate to bust your bubble, but you don't have to try that hard to get your iPhone to sell for that much... I just sold a scratched and dented one on ebay for $395. Am I an idiot because someone was willing to pay that much?
Old Aug 6, 2008, 02:34 PM   #9
NiroshanMan
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by abiyng87 View Post
Well, I hate to bust your bubble, but you don't have to try that hard to get your iPhone to sell for that much... I just sold a scratched and dented one on ebay for $395. Am I an idiot because someone was willing to pay that much?
damnit i wish i could have sold mine for that much! i kept mine in prestine condition and only had it for several weeks, never used the dock, the headphones or the cable, unlocked and everything even with the screen protector that came with the iPhone when i got it!
NiroshanMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 02:43 PM   #10
nomar383
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiroshanMan View Post
damnit i wish i could have sold mine for that much! i kept mine in prestine condition and only had it for several weeks, never used the dock, the headphones or the cable, unlocked and everything even with the screen protector that came with the iPhone when i got it!
I had all that and the saran wrap on the box still! I am so careful to keep these products in good shape becuase there is a 95% chance they will have a new home within 2 years.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 02:46 PM   #11

I just sold my 1 gen iPhone for 360 on ebay Mine has a dent and a few scratches, although the screen is in perfect condition.

I started the auction at $1 with no reserve price.
61132 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 02:57 PM   #12
maximus06
macrumors regular

Bought my iphone on craigslist a few weeks ago, $330 CAD.

Screen/front in mint condition, back metal part has a few scratches/dents.

I think it was worth it :P
maximus06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 03:29 PM   #13
hexonxonx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfTT123 View Post
I sold my 6 month old nearly perfect condition with all accessories except ear phones for $375 on eBay. Your $300 is way too low.
hexonxonx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 03:30 PM   #14
nomar383
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexonxonx View Post
I sold my 6 month old nearly perfect condition with all accessories except ear phones for $375 on eBay. Your $300 is way too low.
He's buying one for $300, not selling one
Old Aug 6, 2008, 03:31 PM   #15
hexonxonx
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomar383 View Post
He's buying one for $300, not selling one
LOL Yeah I see that. $300 is a good price and the person selling it is selling it too low!
Old Aug 6, 2008, 03:33 PM   #16
nomar383
macrumors 65816

Quote:
LOL Yeah I see that. $300 is a good price and the person selling it is selling it too low!
The word "your" threw me off lol
Old Aug 6, 2008, 03:36 PM   #17
hexonxonx
Banned

Quote:
The word "your" threw me off lol
I also see that too now! Ugggghhh I know better than to use the word you're instead of your. I'm going back to bed.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 03:40 PM   #18
nomar383
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I also see that too now! Ugggghhh I know better than to use the word you're instead of your. I'm going back to bed.
lmfao, I am going to hijack this thread by mentioning that changing it to "you're" causes the statement to make even less sense. How about "$300 is a super low price to pay"
Old Aug 6, 2008, 03:42 PM   #19
hexonxonx
Banned

Quote:
lmfao, I am going to hijack this thread by mentioning that changing it to "you're" causes the statement to make even less sense. How about "$300 is a super low price to pay"
gggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old Aug 6, 2008, 04:45 PM   #20
aneftp
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by abiyng87 View Post

Congrats on selling your less than optimal condition iPhone on ebay for that price.

I guess there are a lot of misinformed people out there. I see people advertise ATT Go Phones for $80 on craigslist when you can just go into Best Buy and buy the same phone for $40 brand new.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 05:25 PM   #21
jeraldobunkster
macrumors newbie

I just bought a brand new iphone 1st gen 8GB on craigslist for $280 last week, but those deals dont come around to often, so I had to jump on it. The guy got it for free for buying a Ford Fusion, and I got a good deal on a new iPhone!
jeraldobunkster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 05:47 PM   #22
daneoni
macrumors G4

I just sold my 10 month old 4GB iPhone for 205 ($390) so 300 is definitely a good deal
daneoni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 05:58 PM   #23
abijnk
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to abijnk
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Congrats on selling your less than optimal condition iPhone on ebay for that price.

I guess there are a lot of misinformed people out there. I see people advertise ATT Go Phones for $80 on craigslist when you can just go into Best Buy and buy the same phone for $40 brand new.
Yeah, I was more going for the fact that you said the sellers were the idiots, when it is at the very least the other way around.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 06:02 PM   #24
djrobsd
macrumors 6502a

You know there are greedy people out there and fair people. $300 seems like a fair price to me. I have 3 friends who had a 1st gen iphone, and they gave them away to friends or relatives when they got their new iPhone. I think that's pretty nice for someone to give the iPhone to someone else, and it seems like a lot of people are doing that.
djrobsd is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone