Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Aug 6, 2008, 01:55 PM   #1
Baron83
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to Baron83
How can I convert old unix executable sound files?

I have a bunch of old (system 7) sound files I can't use in X. They have no file names only the sound title. Command-I lists just the name and Unix Executable File. No wma, aaif, etc. Does anyone know a way to convert these to usable files?
Baron83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2008, 06:26 PM   #2
BobZune
macrumors 6502a

Try File Juicer at

http://echoone.com/filejuicer/formats/formats?f=sfil
BobZune is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:21 PM   #3
Baron83
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to Baron83
File Juicer works!

Thanks very much!
Baron83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 07:38 AM   #4
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Just thought I'd mention SystemSound Extension - it converts System 7 sound files, and can play them too - even on Intel Macs.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 05:39 AM   #5
Dan Appleby
macrumors newbie

Sorry to raise an old thread!

I am having a similar issue to the OP...

I recorded my old band ages ago (2003 - maybe earlier) using a classic iMac running OS 9 and Logic 5 (i think), and have just found the backups I made. The audio files appear as Unix Executable Files (see attachment), and I can't get any audio software to play them back for love nor money. I seem to remember the original file format being SDII (.sd2 or Sound Designer 2 format).

I have tried the system sound extension mentioned but it doesn't seem to work on OS X 10.8 and the original software developers email address just bounces every time I try to contact.

I have however, been able to extract the original audio from the files by importing the 'raw' data into audacity... but this is mega time consuming and would literally take me weeks!

I guess what I'm looking for is a bit of software that will batch convert the raw audio data into a readable .wav or .aif audio file, that will run on OS X 10.8.4.

Does anyone out there know a solution??

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Window.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	378.9 KB
ID:	416577  
Dan Appleby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 06:17 AM   #6
benwiggy
macrumors 68020

Just to point out that any file without any file association to an application, that also has the x flag set, will appear as a Unix executable.

"Classic" Mac sound files were saved as AIFF on the resource fork, rather than the data fork.

I can't suggest an app for automation, but you might see if Automator and QuickTime Player will do anything.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 06:24 AM   #7
switon
macrumors 6502a

RE: sox...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Appleby View Post
Sorry to raise an old thread!

I am having a similar issue to the OP...

I recorded my old band ages ago (2003 - maybe earlier) using a classic iMac running OS 9 and Logic 5 (i think), and have just found the backups I made. The audio files appear as Unix Executable Files (see attachment), and I can't get any audio software to play them back for love nor money. I seem to remember the original file format being SDII (.sd2 or Sound Designer 2 format).

I have tried the system sound extension mentioned but it doesn't seem to work on OS X 10.8 and the original software developers email address just bounces every time I try to contact.

I have however, been able to extract the original audio from the files by importing the 'raw' data into audacity... but this is mega time consuming and would literally take me weeks!

I guess what I'm looking for is a bit of software that will batch convert the raw audio data into a readable .wav or .aif audio file, that will run on OS X 10.8.4.

Does anyone out there know a solution??

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks!
Hi Dan,

Have you tried "sox"? See the man page for "soxformat", it literally lists hundreds of sound file protocols that it will convert, including your sd2 format. I have used "sox" in batch mode before to automate the conversion of hundreds of sound files.

"sox" is available from MacPorts.

Good luck,
Switon
switon is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X