Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old Aug 7, 2008, 12:43 PM   #1
mac4t
macrumors newbie

Help with Imovie to Idvd to Burn to DVD for TV

I hope someone can help me. I have created an imovie with photographs with transitions and titles. The movie is 2 hours long. I used the share to media browser to import into idvd. I used a template in idvd and applied my movie. On the preview the quality of the movie looks great. I choose the professional quailty for the burn. After the burn, my movie looks horrible. I need to show this movie on a DVD TV player. If idvd is not the answer for me, what is? No one at Apple has helped, yet. I think the compression from idvd stinks! Can someone give me some advice on this? Greatly appreciated.
mac4t is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 11:53 AM   #2
SOLLERBOY
macrumors 6502a

I made a movie 2.5hrs long in FCE4 which looks horrible after quick time conversion. The movie is now too large for a SL disc so I bought some DL discs but idvd will not burn it! So annoying.
SOLLERBOY is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 09:49 PM   #3
Mit59
macrumors newbie

mac4t,

Please describe what exactly is wrong with the iDVD movie.

I have had problems with iMovie to iDVD recently that took me a while to resolve but I don't know if your problems are the same.

In my case the DVD produced by iDVD was interlaced and so I got horribly jumpy footage on my TV although it looked fine in preview in iDVD. My solution was to choose a non-obvious export setting in iMovie. I used Share/Export using Quicktime/Movie to Quicktime Movie and under options chose DV/DVPRO - NTSC, Current Frame rate, Medium Quality, Progressive, 16:9. I used no filters, and a size of 720x480 16:9, Letterbox. The resulting file imported into iDVD and produced non-interlaced (or at least non-jumpy :-) footage.

Unfortunately I now had a different problem. iDVD refused to see these new files as 16:9. The template menus showed the correct ratio but when I selected and ran the actual movie it was squeezed into 4:3 format. This seems to be an ancient problem in iDVD (why Apple never fixed it is anyone's guess) and I resolved it finally by passing the exported DV/DVPRO files from iMovie through Anamorphicizer (also free) before reading into iDVD.

FINALLY I got a good DVD of my friends wedding from my HD source. I hope this helps you.

One more tip. Don't burn in iDVD, tell it to export an IMG file. It's faster than burning a damn coaster and you can mount the IMG and look at it in DVD Player to see if it's worth burning. I like the application Burn for making DVD's. I've even used it to make a DVD that my PS3 will play as HD... another story.

Tim
Mit59 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:04 PM   #4
mac4t
macrumors newbie

Mit59,
Thanks for your reply. The quality of the idvd burn played on a TV DVD player is very blurry and with wavy lines in some of the photos. All the photos used to make the slideshow/movie in imovie were of the highest quality jpeg. I just want to play my movie on a TV DVD player and it look like it does in imovie. Which is sharp and clear. I have gone thru all the steps the "genuises" at Apple have told me to do. To share the imovie thru the media browser and not to export as a QT movie. I have read thru tons of forums and this one too to try and get a resolution but have not yet read of how this can be done. But I have read where many people have tried to make a movie with Photographs and not video in imovie and are having the same problems. I have researched photo slideshow softwares (for mac) but none claim to be able to play on a TV. This can't be a first. Someone out there has to know how to do this. Please let me in on the secret if you know it. Thanks
Old Aug 15, 2008, 07:38 PM   #5
mac4t
macrumors newbie

Well, I guess all the wizards on this forum are not so helpful. I guess they only answer the easy questions.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video