Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Aug 7, 2008, 03:26 PM   #1
Mr.Noisy
macrumors 65816

Lens sale advice (UK) required............

Ive just cleaned out a load of Nikon DSLR stuff, and Ive just got a Sigma 70-200mm F2.8mm APO HSM Macro lens + case + 77mm Sigma UV Filter & 77mm Hoya Circular Poliarizer, It's about 2 years old and in tiptop condition, Now If i was to sell this, what kind of figure would be a realistic asking price?
This is one of those moments when it's a case of Should I Sell it or Should I Keep it? I'm thinking about replacing it with a Nikon 18-200mm VR, It's just a bit impracticle for what i want in size and weight.

Thanks
Old Aug 7, 2008, 03:58 PM   #2
ChrisA
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Noisy View Post
Ive just cleaned out a load of Nikon DSLR stuff, and Ive just got a Sigma 70-200mm F2.8mm APO HSM Macro lens + case + 77mm Sigma UV Filter & 77mm Hoya Circular Poliarizer, It's about 2 years old and in tiptop condition, Now If i was to sell this, what kind of figure would be a realistic asking price?
This is one of those moments when it's a case of Should I Sell it or Should I Keep it? I'm thinking about replacing it with a Nikon 18-200mm VR, It's just a bit impracticle for what i want in size and weight.

Thanks
Don't know about UK prices, I think they are generally about double US prices. But over here the Sigma would sell for considerable less then the Nikon lens with the same specs. Maybe about 2/3rds the price of the Nikon. The trouble is trying to decide which nikon to match it up with. The older push/pull 80-200 f/2.8 or the newer one wit the zoom ring. Used prices on those are about $425 to $650 respectively. I'd say the Sigma HSm is more like the newer Nikon.
ChrisA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 05:05 PM   #3
epicwelshman
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to epicwelshman Send a message via MSN to epicwelshman Send a message via Skype™ to epicwelshman
Don't compare it to the Nikon. Compare it to itself, or at least the newer version. In the States the newer version of the Sigma sells for $800. Obviously you wouldn't get as much for the older model, plus it's used, but you do have the filters. I don't know... if it's in tip-top shape, then maybe... $600 in the US with the filters (though it depends how high quality the filters are).

Work out the equivalent poundage.
epicwelshman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 05:12 PM   #4
OreoCookie
macrumors 68020

Keep it. It's much better than the 18-200 in terms of IQ.
Old Aug 7, 2008, 05:13 PM   #5
wadejc85
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Noisy View Post

Thanks
Sell and replace with Nikon, if the Nikon isn't too much more expensive. I'm a Canon guy myself, but it's ok, I forgive you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicwelshman View Post
Don't compare it to the Nikon. Compare it to itself, or at least the newer version. In the States the newer version of the Sigma sells for $800. Obviously you wouldn't get as much for the older model, plus it's used, but you do have the filters. I don't know... if it's in tip-top shape, then maybe... $600 in the US with the filters (though it depends how high quality the filters are).

Work out the equivalent poundage.
That seems about right if it's in tip-top shape. If it has scratches and whatnot, I'd say $450-$550.
wadejc85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography