Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 7, 2008, 04:31 PM   #1
Dizle
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: The Beach
Call to get activation fee removed!

This has been discussed in a few threads but not everyone reads them.

So all you have to do is call AT&T and complain about something or that you were charged 2x for the activation and the sales rep on the phone can remove it from your bill! Just keep pushing to get it taken off and it will happen. My call was less than 4 minuets. Credit goes to the other threads I've read!
Dizle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 05:16 PM   #2
M Powered
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Company I work for has a contract with at&t where there is no activation fee.
M Powered is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 06:01 PM   #3
aphexii
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizle View Post
This has been discussed in a few threads but not everyone reads them.

So all you have to do is call AT&T and complain about something or that you were charged 2x for the activation and the sales rep on the phone can remove it from your bill! Just keep pushing to get it taken off and it will happen. My call was less than 4 minuets. Credit goes to the other threads I've read!
Yea, that's what we like to call lying.
aphexii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 06:10 PM   #4
Inukami
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Uh... don't they check in your bill and see if you were charged twice? I find this odd that the ATT rep can be that stupid o.o
Inukami is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 09:48 PM   #5
ladysman
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Powered View Post
Company I work for has a contract with at&t where there is no activation fee.
Same here...just got my bill, no activation fee!
ladysman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 09:52 PM   #6
View
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysman View Post
Same here...just got my bill, no activation fee!
Same here too, as soon as I applied the FAN discount, the activation fee was gone.

HOWEVER, if I had to pay, I would PAY and would NOT LIE to get out of that $18. Why? Because I knew I was going to have to pay and I agreed.
View is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2008, 09:57 PM   #7
Niiro13
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Illinois
Send a message via AIM to Niiro13 Send a message via MSN to Niiro13 Send a message via Yahoo to Niiro13
Is $18 really going to make that much of a difference knowing that you should be able to afford it because of the high price of the iPhone and its plans?
Niiro13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 02:07 AM   #8
RynoZebz
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
18 dollars? Mine was 36! What the crap?!
RynoZebz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 02:41 AM   #9
stevetim
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
You know what's funny?

I am the one who activated the phone at home through iTunes on launch day!! Remember all the issues they were having that day?

I should charge AT&T an activation fee.

At first I was kind of joking about this, but I realized...#$%!! That is correct!
stevetim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2008, 03:03 AM   #10
joekun
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Quote:
Company I work for has a contract with at&t where there is no activation fee.
Yeah, so does mine, but for some reason that doesn't show up on AT&T's "discount profile" even though it's on my company's intranet and the AT&T premiere website. Anyway after a little time on hold they just gave me a courtesy adjustment so no biggie.
joekun is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 08:29 PM   #11
yadmonkey
macrumors 6502a
 
yadmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Western Spiral
I just called and they waved the $36 fee on one line, but not the $26 fee on the other. Not both, but not bad.
yadmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 08:52 PM   #12
MasonMI
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
I got my 18.00 upgrade fee waived on the 3rd phone call i just think theres no reason to charge me an upgrade fee when i'm signing a new 2 year agreement, they're already getting $300 bucks out of me for the iphone.
MasonMI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 09:11 PM   #13
Quincy9219
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Can people really be that cheap?

Wow, defraud a company and not pay a fee you agreed to just to save a couple of tens? Hey, isn't criminal behavior fun every one? Doing this is just plain cheap, pathetic, and stupid. If you don't have a legitimate billing issue, like double billing, get off the damn line and stop bitching about a fee you agreed to pay them
Quincy9219 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:33 PM   #14
Jeremy W
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy9219 View Post
Hey, isn't criminal behavior fun every one?
It's not criminal just because you don't agree with it.
Jeremy W is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:33 PM   #15
Kyeris
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Somewhere in Texas
The activation fee is pretty much useless now, activation is done in a few minutes, what's the point of the $36 fee?

I called and had it waved the day I got the phone.
Kyeris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:39 PM   #16
Apple?
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
I find it funny how att doesn't tell their service reps to stop waiving the activation fee!
Apple? is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:39 PM   #17
Quincy9219
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W View Post
It's not criminal just because you don't agree with it.
It's actually criminal because it's a little something called fraud. To get this fee removed, you have to tell them some lie to get them to remove it. Fraud is defined as: "the crime or offense of deliberately deceiving another in order to damage them usually, to obtain property or services unjustly." So, in reality, you are committing a criminal offense by having this fee removed, granted they are dumb enough to remove it, but it doesn't negate your wrongdoing.
Quincy9219 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:40 PM   #18
Kyeris
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Somewhere in Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy9219 View Post
It's actually criminal because it's a little something called fraud. To get this fee removed, you have to tell them some lie to get them to remove it. Fraud is defined as: "the crime or offense of deliberately deceiving another in order to damage them – usually, to obtain property or services unjustly." So, in reality, you are committing a criminal offense by having this fee removed, granted they are dumb enough to remove it, but it doesn't negate your wrongdoing.
Yet a lot of us ask them to remove the fee, for no absolute reason, and they do without a reason. That's fraud?
Kyeris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:43 PM   #19
aphexii
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy W View Post
It's not criminal just because you don't agree with it.
Lying, as the OP suggests, is considered fraud.

While I usually stray away from Wikipedia quotes, the following proved quite a succinct point;

Quote:
In the broadest sense, a fraud is a deception made for personal gain. The specific legal definition varies by legal jurisdiction. Fraud is a crime, and is also a civil law violation.
and
Quote:
In criminal law, fraud is the crime or offense of deliberately deceiving another in order to damage them – usually, to obtain property or services unjustly.... Fraud, in addition to being a criminal act, is also a type of civil law violation known as a tort. A tort is a civil wrong for which the law provides a remedy. A civil fraud typically involves the act of intentionally making a false representation of a material fact, with the intent to deceive, which is reasonably relied upon by another person to that person's detriment. A "false representation" can take many forms, such as:
A false statement of fact, known to be false at the time it was made;
A statement of fact with no reasonable basis to make that statement;
If AT&T charges a fee, and you lie to get it waived, you have committed fraud.

Asking to simply waive it is one thing, by all means go right ahead; however, lying to induce them to remove the charge is quite another.
__________________
References: eBay (363+, 100%) Heatware (149+, 100%)
aphexii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:45 PM   #20
Kyeris
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Somewhere in Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by aphexii View Post
Asking to simply waive it is one thing, by all means go right ahead; however, lying to induce them to remove the charge is quite another.
That's what my point was.. Anyone here just ask for it to be removed?
Kyeris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:47 PM   #21
Quincy9219
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyeris View Post
Yet a lot of us ask them to remove the fee, for no absolute reason, and they do without a reason. That's fraud?
You obviously don't understand what I am saying. From what I have read, just asking for the fee to be removed doesn't quite do the job, you have to lie to them about being double billed, or something like that. That would be deceiving them. But because they would rather keep you as a customer and reap much bigger profits from your monthly bill, the customer service reps are probably trained to just waive the fee if you fight long enough. It makes more sense from their standpoint to do away with an $18 fee then lose a customer. However, that doesn't negate the fact that you have to lie and commit a crime to get it removed.
Quincy9219 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:49 PM   #22
aphexii
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy9219 View Post
You obviously don't understand what I am saying. From what I have read, just asking for the fee to be removed doesn't quite do the job, you have to lie to them about being double billed, or something like that. That would be deceiving them. But because they would rather keep you as a customer and reap much bigger profits from your monthly bill, the customer service reps are probably trained to just waive the fee if you fight long enough. It makes more sense from their standpoint to do away with an $18 fee then lose a customer. However, that doesn't negate the fact that you have to lie and commit a crime to get it removed.
Well I disagree with this statement. While I'm sure many do lie to get it removed, some may just ask, which in and of itself, is perfectly fine. Are they successful? Beats me
__________________
References: eBay (363+, 100%) Heatware (149+, 100%)
aphexii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:50 PM   #23
Kyeris
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Somewhere in Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy9219 View Post
You obviously don't understand what I am saying. From what I have read, just asking for the fee to be removed doesn't quite do the job, you have to lie to them about being double billed, or something like that. That would be deceiving them. But because they would rather keep you as a customer and reap much bigger profits from your monthly bill, the customer service reps are probably trained to just waive the fee if you fight long enough. It makes more sense from their standpoint to do away with an $18 fee then lose a customer. However, that doesn't negate the fact that you have to lie and commit a crime to get it removed.
I completely understand what you are saying. All I'm saying is that not all of us had to lie to successfully have the fee removed.

All I did was call in and ask what my first bill would be (how it would be prorated), and after that I simply asked "Is it possible for the activation fee to be removed?", and the representative simply said of course and that he would add a credit for the fee + tax on my next bill.

I don't see how just asking for it to be removed is considered fraud. Now what other people have posted saying it was charged twice, etc, that's a completely different case.
Kyeris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:51 PM   #24
aphexii
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyeris View Post
I don't see how just asking for it to be removed is considered fraud.
Its not.
__________________
References: eBay (363+, 100%) Heatware (149+, 100%)
aphexii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:54 PM   #25
Quincy9219
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Ok, before this entire thread starts hopping up and down on my back, let me clarify what I meant. I had 2 points in my last post, 1. Lying is a crime, if you lie that's fraud. 2. The reps are probably trained to waive this fee if you either ask nicely, or fight long enough. Like I said, long term customers are more important than one time fees. Sorry if that wasn't clear enough. If you just ask and they pull it, then great, you got a nice rep, lucky you.
Quincy9219 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Got VZW to waive my activation fee 1981d iPhone 32 Oct 1, 2013 02:56 PM
Verizon activation fee? Norcal. iPhone 5 Sep 20, 2013 02:38 AM
Getting AT&T to waive activation fee Obscurelight iPhone 5 Oct 3, 2012 10:20 AM
Activation fee for iPad Mac'nCheese iPhone 0 Sep 26, 2012 10:54 AM
$30 Verizon Activation Fee drmark50 iPhone 24 Sep 25, 2012 02:16 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC