Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 8 44.4%

• Total voters

KoolStar

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Kentucky
I think that we should have a quick reply that is for example when you are signed in and you don't want to use the full editor, you can use a quick replay which is like a web 2.0 window that when the quick replay button is pressed it opens below the current thread and allow you to post and type. No need to change pages or anything. In the images I have highlighted what I am talking about, these are from another forum. I think that this new feature would increase speeds on mac rumors forums because the servers would not be getting hit as many times for page changes.

Ex.
Image 1.

Image 2.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
I seem to remember that this was suggested and decided against to deter people from posting pointless posts like "cool" "interesting" or ":rolleyes:" ":cool:" ":eek:". Threads are more interesting when people actually contribute to conversation.

Could be wrong though, the decision is not up to me.

KoolStar

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Kentucky
I did a search and had not seen anything to close to what I was suggesting. I just thought of this idea as a way to ease site traffic. Perhaps there would be rules as to who could use the quick chat. Such as there is with the market place.

P.S. Thanks for the tip on advanced editing, I did not know that.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I'm for it, sometimes it can take 15-20 seconds for a page to load once I hit reply - far too long for my broadband.

As was mentioned before, the mods would have to be every vigilant for the one-word posts, though.

KoolStar

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Kentucky
I would suggest that there be a minimum post count like the market place thread. Therefore all people that are able to use the marketplace should be able to use the quick reply.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm all for it. I love Quick Reply in other forums I visit. It would be especially useful on MR since a lot of times the server hangs when clicking on the Post Reply button. This would save MR some load and us some frustration and time.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
this has been brought up before:

2004 Thread
2005 Thread
2006 Thread

those i found with a quick search. i understand the frustration with waiting for the page load, but i also understand why the mods/admins favor the extra time for thoughts to be processed and for people to actually think about posting.

i doubt it'll be happening anytime soon, as it wouldn't ease traffic, if anything there would be more posting. imo.

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
In the Great White North.
I personally don't particularly like the idea of a quick reply. I do feel it would result in a lot of 'quick' one word (or smiley) answers. As pointed out by PlaceofDis it has been discussed before, and I do not see it being implemented any time soon, if at all.

KoolStar

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Kentucky
Well then, It has been my mistake in bring the topic back up. If we could lock the thread then that would be lovely. Hopefully this topic can finally RIP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.