Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Have been using the iPhone since day 1 and I'm sort of use to it losing the current playlist song from time to time. However since updating to 2.x it will forget the song playing almost ever time I switch to the iPhone function. I'm obsessive about keeping my playlist meta data and playing the songs in order. Is everyone experiencing this problem? I've started opening Notes and listing thee last song played so I can get back to the correct song. How are others dealing with this problem?

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Can anyone else confirm this problem? Could it be I have a hardware problem?

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Yesterday it didn't record metadata and lost playlist and today it did it again. That is the first time I have lost metadata 2 days in a row (losing playlist is all to common). Don't others use the iPhone as an iPod and if so aren't you bothered by the constant forgetting of where you are in the playlist?

insocal

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2007
Thanks for REPLYING on my other post.

Yeah, very annoying. I don't know what the heck to do about it.

I'll check with that other poster back in the other thread.

Thanks!

Julien

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
here comes a noob question:

what is playlist meta data to begin with :confused:

First it is actually 2 issues.

1. Most common problem example: You have a Playlist with 100 songs in the order you want to listen to them and start with song #1. Lets say you listen to 15 songs that day. The next time you start the iPod function it's not likely to remember that it should start play at song #16 the way all iPods do. It will just show the play list like you have never used it and you must 'guess' where you left off.

2. Metadata is all the extra data added to a song like track name, time, play-date, year, artist, play-count and ....... I sort my playlist for my iPhone in iTunes by last date played to bottom. Very often the iPhone will not tag a series of songs that have been played with the new play-date and increased play-count (it acts like it didn't even play them). This means I can't maintain a proper play sort since the same songs will be sorted to the top of my playlist.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.