Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rpinard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
I'm trying to decide on the timing of a purchase of an xserve. Does anyone have a clue about when we might expect a new revision of the xserve? I know the last one was early 2008, and they don't tend to come out very often. But I also don't know whether there have been significant changes in the Intel chip sets that might warrant a revision.

R.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
I'm trying to decide on the timing of a purchase of an xserve. Does anyone have a clue about when we might expect a new revision of the xserve? I know the last one was early 2008, and they don't tend to come out very often. But I also don't know whether there have been significant changes in the Intel chip sets that might warrant a revision.

R.
Intel Core i7 (Nehalem) is coming in late 2008. It has new features such as:
  • 1.1x~1.25x the single-threaded performance of Penryn,
  • 1.2x~2x the multi-threaded performance of Penryn
  • …or the same performance as Penryn, but 30% less power. Given that the Xserve tops out at 80 W, this would be a big help.
  • An integrated memory controller with 3 channels (up from 2 channels) - Delivers increased memory bandwidth.
  • QuickPath interconnect - Eliminates the front side bus bottleneck so delivers greater performance.
  • Hyper-threading - Each core has 2 threads, which means 4 cores will look like 8 logical cores to the OS and apps, delivering greater multi-threaded performance.
  • Clock speeds are similar to those of the latest Harpertowns, which means you won't lose anything in that area.
We may see Core i7 Xserves in early 2009 or so with the Core i7 Mac Pros.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.