Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
Since yesterday I've noticed my phone asking for my iTunes passord upon unlocking it. It will happen if I'm at the home screen, or if I was inside an application when I had locked it before.

Only thing I can note was maybe something went wrong during updating of 3 apps, which one got stuck and told me I should update it through iTunes. I noticed an install icon sitting there for part of the day, so I manually deleted it.

Still, just now, a day later and after a full sync, I unlocked my iPhone and I get the password screen again. I swear I didn't ask me for the last half of yesterday, so why now?

I just unlocked my phone again, but this time, no password pop up.

MV ROB

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2008
after restoring it about 5 times is when all this started to happen. before then it never did that. the reason i restored it is because none of my apps were working on the phone

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
after restoring it about 5 times is when all this started to happen. before then it never did that. the reason i restored it is because none of my apps were working on the phone

When your password prompt comes up, do you enter it in, or cancel it? I've just been canceling it, but I assume if I did put my password in it would still ask again and again. Did you put your password in?

wronski

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
I don't understand how all this stuff is happening to people. Aren't we all running the same software and all using it normally? How come mine has worked fine since I took it out of the box?

TimothyB

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2008
Bay Area
I haven't had it happen since I updated apps sometime after my initial post, where I needed to type in my password. That probably fixed the loop or whatever it was.

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
I haven't had this happen, but might I suggest that you plug your iPhone into your computer, load up iTunes, and log in and out of the Store a couple of times. Then disconnect your iPhone, log into the Store on the phone, and see if that helps. It might be confused for some reason after you upgraded, and maybe logging into the Store while your phone is connected to your computer might fix it. Just a thought, otherwise I have no idea, and I'm glad this hasn't happened to me... yet.

jbkendrick

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2008
iPhone asking for password after cycling battery

My 3G started doing this after cycling my battery - complete discharge and recharge. Another strange behavior is that I can no longer charge the phone with my iMac, it doesn't charge at all. But if I use the AC adapter or car charger it works fine. My phone has worked perfectly since the day of its release until these two problems. John

bassproguy07

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Katy, TX
I don't understand how all this stuff is happening to people. Aren't we all running the same software and all using it normally? How come mine has worked fine since I took it out of the box?

evryones phone is different, some people use macs to update some PC's. I myself have over 36 apps, most people I talk to have 5 and dont plan on getting more. I use my phone for everything, it is my lifelin to the outside world when at school. You may not use yours as much so dont notice the littlw defects that I myself and others do. Just saying, so dont get all pissed.

jbkendrick

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2008
iPhone asking for password after cycling battery

I agree with the last poster. I have 3 dozen apps added to the phone and use it all day for just about everything. I am constantly moving from wifi to 3g to edge and back again, so of course I also see the slow switching from one network to another at times. I do accept these issues as an early adopter. I bought the original iPhone the day it came out and also saw many complaints with it in the beginning, though I don't think they were nearly as troublesome as those with the 3G. I believe that Apple will be able to work most of the kinks out given time, and even with the kinks my life is sooooo much easier since the iphone became part of it. My thoughts, John.

RolandP

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
iPhone Repeated Password Request

My phone does the same. I also had it discharge nearly completely and had to quickly disconnect in the middle of a synch. After that, problems began. I am following the advice here and resynching and will hopefully find the problem gone tomorrow. I don't have a Mac to charge from but I have promised myself my next investment will be a Mac, not a PC.
I will keep you posted on the password problem.

My 3G started doing this after cycling my battery - complete discharge and recharge. Another strange behavior is that I can no longer charge the phone with my iMac, it doesn't charge at all. But if I use the AC adapter or car charger it works fine. My phone has worked perfectly since the day of its release until these two problems. John

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Mine was doing the same thing and I finally figured out what it was.
What had happened was that I updated a bunch of apps thru the appstore app on the iphone.
I guess one of them didnt finish or paused right at the beggining of the process.
After a few days of having to keep entering my itunes password at restarts or every time I would go into the appstore app it would ask for my password.
Then I noticed an icon of an app I had installed was paused during the update process. It was barelly noticeable but once I pressed it it went thru with downloading and installing.
After that the password thing never popped up again.
So I suggest go thru each app you have installed on your phone and try to open them one by one. If one doesnt open but instead goes thru the install process then you'll know whats up.

SooneratND

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2009
What had happened was that I updated a bunch of apps thru the appstore app on the iphone.
I guess one of them didnt finish or paused right at the beggining of the process.
After a few days of having to keep entering my itunes password at restarts or every time I would go into the appstore app it would ask for my password.
Then I noticed an icon of an app I had installed was paused during the update process. It was barelly noticeable but once I pressed it it went thru with downloading and installing.
So I suggest go thru each app you have installed on your phone and try to open them one by one. If one doesnt open but instead goes thru the install process then you'll know whats up.

Yep. The issue is caused by a download pending in itunes. It's trying to finish the download and wants the password to verify again. If you tell it to finish the download, the message will go away.

Snowboar

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2009
Thanks Applejuiced - you figured it out

Yep, that was it. I had one app (with <20mb) stuck in limbo, waiting for a wifi connection to finish updating. Mystery solved - thanks Applejuiced

appubmm

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2010
Help!!!!

DOING THE SAME THING...ASKING FOR PASSWORD AFTER UNINSTALLING PUSHFIX IN CYDIA....PLEASE HELP...appubmm@yahoo.co.in...urgent...DONT WANNA RESTORE PHONE...ANY THING APPRECIATED.

CocktailJay

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2010
iTunes

Thanks! I checked through the phone and realized that I kept getting the password prompt because I had song downloads waiting in iTunes. That was getting so annoying!

FredRiedel

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2006
iPhone asking for password

My wife has the same problem with her 3G iPhone. It only asks for the password when she uses the phone app (stock app on the iPhone) and asks her to enter her voicemail password. She says she's never had one and the only password she uses for her phone is not accepted there. I don't thinks it's apps that arent' totally loaded. None of them show that. No songs were downloaded. Anybody have any other ideas???

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
My wife has the same problem with her 3G iPhone. It only asks for the password when she uses the phone app (stock app on the iPhone) and asks her to enter her voicemail password. She says she's never had one and the only password she uses for her phone is not accepted there. I don't thinks it's apps that arent' totally loaded. None of them show that. No songs were downloaded. Anybody have any other ideas???
This thread is almost a year old, but I'll answer your question.
The reason it is asking for a VoiceMail password, is because it has never been entered into the phone, or it was entered into the phone when she bought it and the phone has since been restored. If she doesn't know or can't remember the password, your provider can give it to you.

DAVEDRAGON

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2012
Iphone Password

Hi,

I had the same issue, very annoying, linked pc to iphone and mucked around with itune store. But today went to apps page on iphone and just went to updates and clicked that a couple of times and up came five apps i have. Updated them all and it seems to have gone away now..

So maybe try that, oh and another word of advice, try not to activate voice-over on the accessibility section, gees took ages to turn that off yesterday :p

mrmexico

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2012
Annoying

Im having the same problem. I can't find any paused app downloads but i do have an album on preorder in iTunes. Il see if it stops when this album is released and downloaded:D

supersalo

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
It also asks for your password when it's trying to automatically download something that you purchased on another device:

ie, you buy an app on your iPad, your phone will also download and install that same app automatically. This behavior is controlled in Settings -> Store -> Automatic Downloads

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.