Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PHARAOHk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 19, 2003
I just got an iBook on the 5th. I am little disappointed with the design of the keyboard. How sturdy and or durable is it? I had a hell of a time taking it out to put in an airport card. Frankly I am not so comfortable with this purchase. After bringing it home it would not start or run the hardware test. I ran back out to the store and turns out the harddrive was dead. They gave me a new one and that's when I discovered the weird keyboard. Is the keyboard easy to have replaced if it does break? Everything seems OK but from a design standpoint and Apples apparent attention to detail and design the keyboard thing was a completely surprising design choice.

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
it is easy to replace and purchase, but i never had the keyboard ever break on me..they are usually strudy. but with an ibook, u gotta worry about the motherboard and screen more...those tend to break/disfunction more.

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
The keyboard and they keys on it are actually suprisingly durable. If you are not used to laptops, they might seem a little flimsy, but I have never heard of a keyboard cracking/snapping/breaking. If there is any problem with it though, apple will fix it for free.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
If You are not happy with the iBook's keyboard why don't You trade in for a Powerbook 12' it has no removable keyboard. Why do people have to complain , do You think I really care if You don't like the keyboard? Why can't someone make a post like "I just got a new (Enter Apple Computer Here) and love it. It is the coolest computer in the world" I mean look at all the people who love Mac's and are stuck with a old Pre-G3 macs hearing people whine that they don't like the computer they just paid over a thousand bucks for couse the keyboard is not as sturdy as they want. I'm sorry I need to get some sleep.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I used a PowerBook G3 for 4 years with a keyboard that isn't as "sturdy" as the new iBook G4 keyboards and I never once had a problem with it, in fact, I thought the keyboard was really pleasant to type with. It worked fine and made it insanely easy to upgrade the RAM, processor, and HD with just unlatching two simple latches between the Function keys.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
Re: What's the deal with the removeable keyboard iBooks?

Originally posted by PHARAOHk
I am little disappointed with the design of the keyboard.
i dont understand your hissy fit. this is by far one of my favorite keyboards! maybe it get a little getting used to at first but everyone who has used my iBook seems to agree.

PHARAOHk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 19, 2003
Originally posted by Spock
whine that they don't like the computer they just paid over a thousand bucks for couse the keyboard is not as sturdy as they want.

Well, that is MY point. When I installed the airport card I had to pry the keyboard open. No the numberlock screw was not engaged. I guess it was not seated properly. After the first wouldn't work and then that and then I read about an iBook lawsuit I started to feel like I bought an overpriced heap. I have a powerbook and it has been amazing. Because of the awesome quality i got this iBook without thinking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.