Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook

Old Aug 8, 2008, 07:51 PM   #1
Krafty
macrumors 601

Why does my wireless keep dropping?

Often times, the signal gets weak.... and then dies. I know its not my router cause my iPod touch is able to connect to it fine. And then it took me 20-30mins to reconnect. At some points, it see the router, but then says "connection timeout" or it just doesn't connect and then my router disappears.

Krafty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2008, 01:47 AM   #2
velvetelvis
macrumors 6502

what are you using? im on a macbook and i sometimes wont connect. then the try again screen comes up and i click try again and it goes straigt to the site. its been doing this for a while...

sorry i dont have an answer to your question...
Old Aug 9, 2008, 02:12 AM   #3
koopa35
macrumors 6502

i have a mbook and this happens at times also
Old Aug 9, 2008, 02:15 AM   #4
velvetelvis
macrumors 6502

it does it on firefox and safari... really annoying.
Old Aug 9, 2008, 06:24 PM   #5
Krafty
macrumors 601

Quote:
what are you using?
1st Gen MacBook 2GHz CD.

Old Aug 11, 2008, 12:23 PM   #6
Nick012
macrumors regular

Its a 'feature'. I've been suffering from this for MONTHS. I'm currently on my second support ticket with applecare... It all started when I upgraded to Leopard...
Nick012 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 02:09 PM   #7
robotica
macrumors regular

this has been an issue ever since 10.4.8 or 9 I cant remember

its the most anoything thing EVER, WTF WONT YOU FIX THIS ISSUE APPLE
robotica is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 02:22 PM   #8
djbahdow01
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to djbahdow01 Send a message via Skype™ to djbahdow01
This was happening on my Mac pro after i upgraded to 10.5.4. What router are you using. I did a firmware update to my Airport Extreme and it seems to have fixed the issue. Before this it would drop like 1-2 times a day, reconnecting and disconnecting for a little while then being fine after like an hour. BTW this was only happening on my Mac Pro, not my vista laptop or iPhone. So it makes me think it was an wireless "N" issue. Can't remember if the Macbook CD has it though.

After the firmware update I have had no problems. Hopefully that was the fix.
Sports Photography
djbahdow01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2008, 02:50 PM   #9
Krafty
macrumors 601

Netgear WPN824 Wireless A/B/G. It started doing it a few weeks ago. Anytime before that I never had any problem. Its not the router, cause even when the signal on my MB dies, my iPod touch & Xbox 360 can connect to it fine.

Old Aug 12, 2008, 06:31 PM   #10
tresbien
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to tresbien
same thing has been happening to me...and it is so annoying... I know its my macbook and not the internet because there are three other computers in my house that are connecting to the internet perfectly fine.

I usually just wait it out, try and restart, turn the airport on and off...but the only thing that has actually worked is just letting it straighten itself out and stop doing whatever its doing.
tresbien is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 01:27 AM   #11
rd261
macrumors regular

I have been having the same problem with my black macbook. I bought it less than two weeks ago and its having this very annoying problem. Is not the router since it does the same thing at my friend's house and at school.
rd261 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 09:28 PM   #12
emt1
macrumors 65816

Same problems here... I'm really hating Apple recently...
emt1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 09:42 PM   #13
jogales
macrumors member

I had the same problem a few weeks ago. I found that it happened less when the computer wasn't on the same desk as the wireless router, and that if I tilted my macbook one way or the other it would connect again. Took it to the genius bar and they replaced the airport card for me without any hassle. Haven't had any problems with it since.
jogales is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:31 PM   #14
emt1
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogales View Post
I had the same problem a few weeks ago. I found that it happened less when the computer wasn't on the same desk as the wireless router, and that if I tilted my macbook one way or the other it would connect again. Took it to the genius bar and they replaced the airport card for me without any hassle. Haven't had any problems with it since.
Was it under warranty?
emt1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:10 AM   #15
jogales
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emt1 View Post
Was it under warranty?
Yep, it was only about a month old. The genius didn't even try to replicate the problem in the store, they just replaced it.
jogales is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:40 AM   #16
Built
macrumors 68020

I have the same problem here. 2.2 ghz Macbook, Santa Rosa chipset, purchased last December. Leopard pre-installed, of course.

Ever since I have had it, I have had problems with wireless connectivity. Weak signal reception in all sorts of venues...home, work, meeting sites...Even when somebody is sitting next to me on a 5 year old DELL, their reception is still going strong while I, on my Macbook, sit frustrated, having to constantly hit the Refresh button.

This connectivity problem has been reported ever since Leopard came out and Apple still does not have a fix.
Built is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:19 PM   #17
rd261
macrumors regular

I have an appointment on saturday morning with the so called geniuses. Hopefully they will change something or replace it because this machine is not even two weeks old and Im not willing to live with this annoying problem.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:29 PM   #18
Built
macrumors 68020

This was one of the reasons I replaced my Macbook as my primary laptop for travel and meetings with a Toshiba U405. I still have my Macbook, of course, but it serves as more of a backup.

I just couldn't handle the flakiness of the wireless.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 12:35 AM   #19
rd261
macrumors regular

I had my appointment today with the geniuses at the apple store. I explained my issues and surprisingly he didnt even bother to check the unit. He went to talk with his manager and when he came back he had a new unit in his hands. I was more than happy to have the unit replaced. Im happy to report that this unit has no connection problems at all. I've been running the unit connected wirelessly to the internet and havent have a single dropout so far.

Ps. WOW The macbook gets HOT when watching youtube videos (arount 60-65 C) I thought it was a problem with the other unit but this one runs hot as well when watching youtube videos.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 03:06 AM   #20
Built
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd261 View Post
I had my appointment today with the geniuses at the apple store. I explained my issues and surprisingly he didnt even bother to check the unit. He went to talk with his manager and when he came back he had a new unit in his hands. I was more than happy to have the unit replaced. Im happy to report that this unit has no connection problems at all. I've been running the unit connected wirelessly to the internet and havent have a single dropout so far.

Ps. WOW The macbook gets HOT when watching youtube videos (arount 60-65 C) I thought it was a problem with the other unit but this one runs hot as well when watching youtube videos.
Glad it worked out for you, rd. I'm still within my warranty period, so I may bring mine in, too, though mine doesn't have the heat issues others have reported so I hesitate to do so. Have to think about it...
Old Aug 17, 2008, 10:56 AM   #21
rd261
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Built View Post
Glad it worked out for you, rd. I'm still within my warranty period, so I may bring mine in, too, though mine doesn't have the heat issues others have reported so I hesitate to do so. Have to think about it...
Does yours get hot when watching youtube videos? Mine works at about 50 C with safari, mail, iphoto, and itunes open, but once I play a youtube video the temperature goes up significantly.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 11:01 AM   #22
Built
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd261 View Post
Does yours get hot when watching youtube videos? Mine works at about 50 C with safari, mail, iphoto, and itunes open, but once I play a youtube video the temperature goes up significantly.
Nope. Not hot at all. I have had it since December, and used it on business trips about 10 days per month, and I can only recall the fan having to come on a very few times. This somewhat surprised me given some of the reports I have heard. I watch Youtube all the time and visit some other very processor intensive sites.

My Toshiba laptops run far hotter.
Old Aug 21, 2008, 02:37 AM   #23
Krafty
macrumors 601

Yeah, whenever I watch any flash videos my laptop heats up and the fan blares forever. Did they give you an updated one cause im stuck on a 2GHz CD.

And this is seriously getting annoying. I have to be right next to my router to reconnect, but as soon as I step out the room the signal dies. And then I have to sit and wait and wait and wait for it to eventually "work" again. My iPod touch can still connect to it from the same location.

Old Aug 21, 2008, 06:50 AM   #24
*Sandy*
Banned

Try magic network it s free and holds my pc which does the same thing awesome and free. and for mac.
*Sandy* is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2008, 11:58 AM   #25
rd261
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krafty View Post
Yeah, whenever I watch any flash videos my laptop heats up and the fan blares forever. Did they give you an updated one cause im stuck on a 2GHz CD.

And this is seriously getting annoying. I have to be right next to my router to reconnect, but as soon as I step out the room the signal dies. And then I have to sit and wait and wait and wait for it to eventually "work" again. My iPod touch can still connect to it from the same location.
Well I had the computer for less than 14 days and thats probably the only reason for which they gave me a new one (it was the same model). However, if your is still under warranty I would recommend you take it to the genius bar; they will at least try to solve the problem. I think that only a new airport card is needed.

As for the youtube problem, I have heard that most macbook warm up a bit while watching flash videos.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook