Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bikerman22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
my 80 gb ipod classic makes a funny noise every time i switch songs. ive only had it for about a week and i dont think it made the noise at first but im not entirely sure. and its only when i go searching through the library, like go from one artist to another, when i switch through the songs of a single artist it doesnt do it. it starts out with a buzz like something just started spinning, then it sounds like stuff is shuffling around on the inside, its weird but thats the best i can explain it. i dont know if it good, doubt it is, or not so any tips or advice is appreciated, thanks

samwise666

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2008
tried reseting it? (hold menu and center button for about 10seconds until the apple logo appears)

if not get a new one with the warranty service?

Bikerman22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
ok well i called apple support and they said to go to a store and get it replaced or have them look at it, so i went to the store by me and they gave me a replacement, a refurbished one. but this one makes the exact same noise! i dont know what to do because apple support said they should make no noise at all but ive got two in a row like that, should i go back and figure i just have bad luck or put up with it until it dies or something?

samwise666

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2008
use it till it dies

or if it just carries on working use the noise as an excuse to get a shiny new one when the warranty is coming to an end (ipods undoubtedly get scratched anyways)

Bikerman22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
well i talked to applecare today and the guy told me that sometimes limewire lets viruses come with the songs and can corrupt an ipods hard drive. i do have music downloaded from limewire but somehow i cant believe that a virus will create a clicking noise but not make the hard drive fail, but at the same time im a bit nervous. is there any way that i can see if any of my songs are carrying anything harmful with them?

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
the guy told me that sometimes limewire lets viruses come with the songs and can corrupt an ipods hard drive.

That is complete bull kaka. Frankly that guy should be fired for making such a ridiculously impossible statement! Poorly created or corrupt mp3 files can indeed make any mp3 player have problems, but not because of a virus! And it probably could only cause a problem at the moment when the ipod is accessing that particular corrupt file, not just scrolling through the list of songs in its database.

When you say it makes these noises, are you holding the ipod itself up to your ear to hear it? Or are you saying at arms distance the mechanical noises are easily heard? My ipod classic in a very quiet room will make slightly perceivable mechanical noises at arms length. The volume of the noises while at arms lengths are about as loud as dropping a pencil a quarter of an inch down onto a stack of papers. And my classic 80 gig has been working well for over a half year now.

Bikerman22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
with other noise in the room i have to hold it up to my ear but it is noticable at arms length when in an quiet room. its just odd because i dont remember it making the noise at first and a guy at the tech bar told me that they are sapposed to be quiet. i wish i would have tried to listen before i hooked it up to my computer but too late, so who knows

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
with other noise in the room i have to hold it up to my ear but it is noticable at arms length when in an quiet room. its just odd because i dont remember it making the noise at first and a guy at the tech bar told me that they are sapposed to be quiet. i wish i would have tried to listen before i hooked it up to my computer but too late, so who knows

If it's no louder than a pencil dropping a quarter inch onto a stack of papers, then your ipod is perfectly normal. Remember, there's a spinning hard disk in there and a hard drive head that bounces back and forth across your disk literally faster than you can see it! Of course it's gonna make *some* noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eMWG3fwiEU

Bikerman22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
thank you for the video, that really makes me feel a lot better about the noise as it is similar but not as loud or ofter i guess. now the only question is why my 8gb touch doesnt make the noise

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
thank you for the video, that really makes me feel a lot better about the noise as it is similar but not as loud or ofter i guess. now the only question is why my 8gb touch doesnt make the noise

The iPod touch uses chip-based storage instead of a hard drive, thus it makes no noise and is why it's limited to 8 GB instead of 80 GB.

yorkshire

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
UK

No moving parts in the itouch.

sammyhotdog

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2011
Mine does the same

My Ipod Classic does the same......it is quite frustrating.....i can hold it at arms length and hear the whirling noise.....i havent yet gone to apple yet as i dont think there is anything wrong with the device, i onlu got it at christmas and it has been doing it since the first day...

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Everything is fine. Nothing to see here. Non-issue. All that jazz.

The Classic have hard drives. All is normal. Mine have all done that, so don't worry. :)

AlKiMi1

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2012
My iPod classic does this too... We ordered it from a catalogue so I'm not sure if it has Apple warranty, but it does have 12 months warranty from the catalogue company. The actual iPod isn't affected but it's just really annoying! Whenever I switch songs or scroll down menus, there's a noise like a disc whirring. Really weird. :eek:

iPod Problems

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2012
160GB iPod Classic Noises

Every night i lay my son down to go to sleep and i put my ipod on a dock where it puts music on for him and every night we go through the same thing: " Daddy are you asleep" and i say not now and he says there is a buzzy sipinny noise with a loud (as he described it) : BZZ SHHH BEEPBEEPBOOP: So i go in there and i hear it too i thought it was his toy in the closet but i came to me 5 minutes later and said the same thing. Isaid if he keeps it up i will take the iPod away.
he came to me again and i took the iPod away and it was still playing even when i took it off of its dok and i layed it on my night stand and i heared it thistime and my wife got freaked out about it ( Why you ask?) she thout it was her phone and she thought she missed a text. i am mad at my iPod :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.