Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adevejian

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
Los Angeles
I recently purchased the Mac Pro in my signature, and powering on for the first time (without installing the extra 1TB hdd and 16GB of RAM from OWC) brought up the infamous question mark. I've tried booting up by holding "c" and starting up from the CD. Raid Utility status is "good" but there are no drives available. I've also tried the Apple Hardware Test which passed without error. I then tried removing the 300GB SAS which came with the computer and installing the 1TB but that didn't work either. Any ideas? I also have Apple Care.

Any help is appreciated.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
Well the SAS drive needs the RAID card installed. Do you have that? If you put in the other drive you need to install the OS onto it. The question mark means it doesn't see any drives with an OS on them. Put in the restore disc and try installing the OS onto the 1TB drive.

adevejian

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
Los Angeles
I tried installing the OS on the 1TB but it didn't recognize it either. Shouldn't the RAID Utility stating the "good" status show that Apple installed a RAID card? (which I did add when configured the computer) Is there another way to see if there is a RAID card or how to test it other than what I've tried?

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
If the machine failed to boot starting right from the initial start, I would:

A- be pissed
and either
B- Be in an Apple store at the Genius Bar immediately
or
C- Be on the phone with Apple support immediately

If your brand new machine with those nice options does not boot I really think they owe you to take care of it right away!

adevejian

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
Los Angeles
Yeah, it was such an anti-climax when i finally hooked up everything and pressed the power button for the first time..... and then the blinking ?. And I am kind of annoyed after spending roughly 10k on this machine.

I'll do Genius Bar / Apple Care tomorrow when they're open.

adevejian

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
Los Angeles
Ok, so now my Mac Pro works.

After trying countless maneuvers to get my machine up and running I gave up and left it powered off. A few hours later I turn on my Mac just to try it out again and it magically recognized my drive and began installation of OSX.

Strange. Hopefully it will continue to recognize them.

Virtuoso

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2008
Seattle
Keep an eye on the status of your RAID battery. When you first get your machine, it can take a couple of days before the battery is fully conditioned.

Was OS X not preinstalled on your Mac Pro? You shouldn't really have to install it yourself.

adevejian

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
Los Angeles
I'm not sure if it was pre-installed, I'm guessing now that it most likely was by Apple. This is my first mac so I didn't know if OSX was on there or not. I think I had the CD in the case when I powered on and it auto-loaded the OSX installer so I just went with it.

adevejian

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 4, 2008
Los Angeles
My new (small) problem I have now is that I have Detect Displays ever time I restart in order to get the resolution I want. I have a Dell 2405 FPW if that helps (getting an ACD as soon as the next gen comes out)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.