Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
CNet reveals more details from RealNetworks upcoming Music Store and Jukebox software. While previous hints had suggested that Real's new service would be entirely incompatible with Apple's iPod as well as other systems, it appears Real is taking a different approach:
Real is betting that the flexibility of its music-playing software will distinguish it from rival stores and software packages. To this end, the company said it has created a jukebox that will play all the media formats used by its own and other song stores--including secure downloads from the iTunes store.
Unfortunately, it appears Real accomplishes this compatibility by launching Apple's Quicktime/iTunes applications in the background to enable authorization.

Real's Jukebox is also said to provide transfer capabilities with the Apple iPod.

The new initiative could help Real draw potential customers from other jukebox/music services... however, incompatibilities will remain. As previously noted, Real's music store will offer AAC/Helix encoded songs which are not compatible with present audio players (such as the iPod).

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
seems like a good idea, but maybe a poor execution... Able to play everyone else's stuff (so buy it there) but unable to play your stuff on other people's players.

backwards? or just me?

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Part Good...

Part Bad.

I don't know if either out weights the other.

At least 2 Services use AAC... even if they can't be playied in the iPod? (correct, incorrect?)

coumerelli

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2003
state of confusion.
Originally posted by Mudbug
seems like a good idea, but maybe a poor execution... Able to play everyone else's stuff (so buy it there) but unable to play your stuff on other people's players.

backwards? or just me?

30 million downloads tells me it's not 'just you'

VicMacs

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
Dominican Republic
real = barf

BARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARFBARF

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
For Windows users who have a lot of WMA files and have made iTunes purchases, this might be the best option for them. But I don't see how this hurts Apple. The fact that it supports music purchased from the best online music store can only help Apple, right?

That being said, all the Windows users I know who have tried iTunes are in love and will never go back to whatever dreck they were using previously.

Sailfish

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2003
Real is going to confuse the situation even further.

Winblows people are going to have to have a compatibility cheat sheet taped to their monitors to keep track of it all.

:D

Ahh just get a iPod and iTunes and quit messing around...

:p

AlanAudio

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2004
UK
The first point I would make is that when everybody launches a new downloadable music service, it's always referred to as a rival to iTMS.

Nobody bothers claiming to rival any other service, because iTMS is the only one that actually matters.

The Real proposal is a bit half-baked. It's neither fish nor fowl and is likely to be less than seamless for all users.

I'm not sure if it uses unsupported hooks into QuickTime, but if it does, it may find the door slammed in it's face at some point in the future.

However, I can only see it as good news for Apple.

The fact that they are not going Microsoft's way is a huge bonus.

More exposure for AAC is excellent.

The fact that it's likely to be inelegant and unreliable is also a welcome contrast to Apple's seamless simplicity.

You need to see the bad in order to properly appreciate what's good.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Real... pioneers of the online media, no the dinosaurs. Hey, they made some pretty cool stuff though... in 1996 for what it was worth. 2004 on the peecee or Mac their stuff is merely sucktacular.

TranceClubMusic

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Miami, FLorida
Real Junk Box :eek:
Napster & Real will be out of Bizz by end of 2005.
Why even try folks? :eek:

Attachments

• __tn_vba9746.gif
    __tn_vba9746.gif
    6.8 KB · Views: 360
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.