Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CeeP

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
San Diego, CA
I just bought a used 1st gen Iphone and I activated it using itunes. Customer service is closed because its the weekend but will I be able to cancel the $20 dollar a month data plan? I plan on mostly using wifi and I'll probably disable data transfer on my phone while I'm at it. My family has unlimited texts so that will apply to my iphone also right?

Thanks,
Chris

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
On My iPhone, or my iPad?
I just bought a used 1st gen Iphone and I activated it using itunes. Customer service is closed because its the weekend but will I be able to cancel the $20 dollar a month data plan? I plan on mostly using wifi and I'll probably disable data transfer on my phone while I'm at it. My family has unlimited texts so that will apply to my iphone also right?

Thanks,
Chris

I don't think so. I recently upgraded to the 3G and want to reactivate my first gen for my kids. AT&T said I would have to signup for another 2 year contract and have the iPhone data plan. It's only $20.

CeeP

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
San Diego, CA
Really, I thought I heard of a lot of people doing this. If this is the case I'll just say I sold it/cancel the plan and unlock it.

Thanks,
Chris

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
Really, I thought I heard of a lot of people doing this. If this is the case I'll just say I sold it/cancel the plan and unlock it.

Thanks,
Chris

Hey don't take my word for it though. Call AT&T and gripe and moan until they do it! Talk to three different people at AT&T and get three different answers. Keep trying. If they let you, let us know....I'd like to do it for my kids too!!!

CeeP

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
San Diego, CA
I'll let you know. They are closed right now, so I'll either go into a store or call monday. Do you know if I still get my family's plan unlimited text plan with the iphone data plan. Does the unlimited plan override the 200 texts I get with the data plan?

capitanbuzo

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
I have heard that you can take off the data plan online. This was months ago and might not be true anymore. I am planning on upgrading to the iPhone 3G and giving my iPhone away but I do not know if the old iPhone needs a data plan.

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
I believe so, but I would check also. If they say yes when you call, dial 611 from your iPhone, get the name of the supervisor you talk to in case they end up charging you. That way they have to fix any erroneous charges.

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
i think if you activate it as a go-phone (prepaid) then there is no data
or i could be wrong who knows

CeeP

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
San Diego, CA
Does anyone know about the text messaging thing? I pay for unlimited for my family plan but does it apply to my iphone as well?

atluten

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2008
Does anyone know about the text messaging thing? I pay for unlimited for my family plan but does it apply to my iphone as well?

Not 100% sure but I think I've heard that the iPhone requires it's own data/text plan, so the unlimited plan you currently have does not apply to the iPhone. Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in about this.

Col Ronson

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008

Family Unlimited text means unlimited text on all your phones on the at&t plan it is associated with. Doesn't matter what phone...so yes it applies to the iphone too.

CeeP

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
San Diego, CA
just talked to a rep at my school

and he's said off the record you usually have to use the data plan for a couple months then you can cancel it. Also unlimited texts on a family plan applies to all phones even the iPhones. I'll call AT&T cs later and see if I can cancel the data plan anyways and I'll let you guys know how it goes.

CeeP

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
San Diego, CA
So I just called customer service. She said I couldnt use the iphone without the data plan. I told her that I was just going to switch back to my old phone (samsung flip phone) so she activated that phone and took the data plan off my bill. However, my iphone still connects to the AT&T network and I am able to place calls/text. Looks like I got the data plan canceled!

On a side note, she said I wasn't able to cancel data capabilities on the phone (don't want to rack up usage by mistake) because I have the unlimited text plan which requires data transfer for picture messages. I guess I'll call back later and say to cancel it anyways. Hopefully its possible.

dreed

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2008
iPhone data plan 2g 8gig Remove???

So I just called customer service. She said I couldnt use the iphone without the data plan. I told her that I was just going to switch back to my old phone (samsung flip phone) so she activated that phone and took the data plan off my bill. However, my iphone still connects to the AT&T network and I am able to place calls/text. Looks like I got the data plan canceled!

On a side note, she said I wasn't able to cancel data capabilities on the phone (don't want to rack up usage by mistake) because I have the unlimited text plan which requires data transfer for picture messages. I guess I'll call back later and say to cancel it anyways. Hopefully its possible.

Hey man.... So heres what happend to me. I bought an iphone from my uncle. Then i took my sim card and put it in the phone and plugged it into the computer and connected with itunes. Well, i then subscribed and all that and it supposidly changed my plan and added the Data plan and got rid of my old plan of unlimited text. I was like freaking out.... about how expensive it had got so i called atnt and told them that i didnt want the iphone if it had a data plan like that. They said you cannot have an iphone without a data plan. I have read many tags online that you can manage but no one ever tells the full aspects of it. Anyways so i had them take the data plan off of it and i told them i wanted to go back to my old motorolla v551 and they asked for the IEME number or whatever its called from the phone. so i told them that. They said that the data plan is now removed. and im ready to go on my v551 however, i found on the net this one site that is like unlockit.co.nz and you install this APN fake it thing so i installed it using my wifi connection from the house. It installed and i then turned off the fetch thing and set it to manual so i guess my updates will only occur when i want them too. My phone still works and i called back to make sure the data plan was not on there with another customer rep... they said that im on a motorolla V551 and i had my unlimited text once again.

So am i like free of any charges? does anyone have any additional info that i need to consider? I dont want to get like charged alot of money and get screwed. I know several people have had luck but they never fully explain it. I dont care about pic messages or stuff like that so i feel like im free from the data plan thing... i guess ill continue calling and asking later in the month... i thought they were able to know if your were using a apple iphone...???? or am i really tricking them . Please respond asap.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.