Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Aug 9, 2008, 05:27 PM   #1
timmymallet
macrumors newbie

iPhone (not 3g ver) - others can't hear me, I can hear them???

Hi,

Had a quick search around but couldn't find anything similar to this problem.

When making a call, I can hear the other person perfectly but they can't hear me and if they can its really really faint, on a scale of 1-10, 10 being normal, its about a 0.2 for loudness for them.

I've tried pluggin the earphones in and out because it seemed kind of similar to another problem I came across searching. I've switched it on/off and reset all to no avail...

It's driving me maaaaddd... Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be?? Thanks
timmymallet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 10:42 AM   #2
timmymallet
macrumors newbie

sorry for the bump, but does anyone have any ideas??
timmymallet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:12 AM   #3
grantsdale
macrumors 6502a

Is the mic covered? Maybe filled with dirt?
grantsdale is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2008, 01:19 PM   #4
eadsd
macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. I've had this particular iPhone for 4-5 months with no problems (maybe longer). Lately, people have been saying that they can't hear me, but I can hear them fine. Some calls it works just fine, but other times it doesn't. I've tried fixing signal related things, and I've tried using other phones to see if it's the signal. It just doesn't seem signal related. I think it's iPhone hardware or software. Maybe a short in the microphone.
eadsd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2008, 09:36 AM   #5
ichidakira
macrumors newbie

I am having the same problem as well. On a phone call I can hear the other person fine but they cant hear me. I know my MIC is 100% functional. I did voice recorder and I can record the sound and my speakerphone works.

1) When on speakerphone they can hear me and I can hear them
2) When on headset they can hear me and I can hear them
3) When on regular they can not hear me and I can hear them and when I speak to the mic I can hear myself only from the earpiece

I tried every way to try to fix it but still no luck.
Headset in/out a million times.
Restored the iPhone 4 times (even different firmware)
Cleaned the headphone jack
Cleaned the mic and even poked holes through the cover

So the only way I can have a phone conversation is either on speakerphone or headset.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP
ichidakira is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2008, 05:19 AM   #6
unlocking911
macrumors newbie

If the other party can't hear, it is microphone problem.

if the other party can't hear you, it si the mic problem. we can fix it for you. unlocking911@yahoo.com
unlocking911 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2009, 09:12 AM   #7
harristottle
macrumors newbie

at&t service suxs so bad I cant be for sure if iPhone problem

I can hear the other party in the 15% of a time I have a signal with at&t but they cant hear me. I have been using a landline as my at&t cell service does not work at my home (a mile from the at&t store) or at work (right of I15) but in places where the pretend bars don't go away when I call, I can hear the party but they cant hear me. Could this be an iPhone problem?
harristottle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 03:54 PM   #8
glassmoustache
macrumors newbie

Ive fixed it

Hi - i had the same problem where someone would call or id make a call and after about 1 minute they wouldnt be able to hear me - it would go very echoey.
I tried restoring - didnt work
resetting network settings - didnt work

I finally tried taking off vibrate when the phone rings and also going to carrier settings - network selection - i changed this to o2 then came out of it - i then changed it back to automatic and exited

Now the phone calls work perfectly again - im not sure if this is definitely the solution but its something else to try - it worked for me
glassmoustache is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2009, 10:02 AM   #9
pdiddly
macrumors newbie

Wink Fixed mic problem

I just fixed my mic! It was going in and out for a few weeks where I could hear but no one could hear me.

All I did was tighten the 2 screws at the bottom of the phone. They were loose but did not look loose. I used a 1.0 m/m screwdriver. I have dropped my phone many times and I attributed it to a loose connection!
Good luck - its worth a try before you buy a new one!
pdiddly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2009, 11:14 AM   #10
Jeffrosproto
macrumors 6502

For anyone else - a good way to troubleshoot is to use a pair of apple earbuds with the mic in them, to see if its a problem with your iPhones mic or something else.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 11:15 AM   #11
John T
macrumors 68020

I had this problem until I realised I was covering the mic with the tip of my finger whilst making a call! Best way to test is to make a call using the speakerphone - making sure to keep fingers away from the bottom of the iPhone.
John T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2010, 03:41 PM   #12
headroller
macrumors newbie

Knocking can help - no kidding

I have the exact same problem and it started recently. This is a real issue with the iPhone 4 and I think it is under-reported. By trial and error I found out that if you take the phone in one hand and hold it upside-down with the screen facing away (so that it does not turn off from the warmth of your hand) and knock it vigorously into the palm of your other hand for few second the mic starts working again. This has nothing to do with dirt in the microphone. I think it is some weird bug related to the screen turning off.
Unfortunately, in many cases it stops working again a minute or so in the conversation.
I tried talking to Apple and AT&T. They are pointing fingers at each other and no one is seriously addressing the concern so far. I rebooted the device, updated the software, sync-ed, changed the SIM card with AT&T, etc. None of this helps, so do not waste your time.
From my experience, I suspect that it is an issue with the device itself and most likely it is a software issue.
headroller is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2011, 06:36 PM   #13
NolanL
macrumors newbie

Thumbs up quick fix

I have serious doubts that this would solve the issue for a lot of folks... but, after searching a bunch of forums and apple support and trying a number of different suggestions (to no avail) I resorted to the old can of compressed air. Voila. Must have cleaned something out that was blocking the mic. Worth a shot if you're having trouble with people hearing you.
NolanL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:25 AM   #14
Ebarnes
macrumors newbie

Angry Person cant hear you through calls on iPhone 4

Hi I have an iPhone 4 and others I was calling could hear me for a few minutes then they wouldn't be able to hear me. I got it fixed at a shop in Hereford and I got it back and it would work for a few days until it broke again, I had the microphone replaced for 70 and no luck.
Any ideas??
Thanks Elliott
Ebarnes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2012, 05:53 PM   #15
chimpski
macrumors newbie

Try this solution. Worked for like a charm!

http://youtu.be/0jhWxYTVxe4
chimpski is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2012, 05:13 AM   #16
ksl82
macrumors newbie

Other idea

This is what worked for me. It was a software bug with the iPod app.

http://bluescreensolutions.blogspot....n-hear-me.html
ksl82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting