Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Aug 9, 2008, 08:59 PM   #1
markw10
macrumors 6502

How can I block websites from iPhone's Safari?

I am getting an iPhone for my son. Because of his disabilities he has trouble with directions so I'm interested in the new iPhone since it has GPS built in and will help him with that. The only downside is when unsupervised on the internet he gets to some websites he shouldn't and has gotten into trouble. It's just a few websites such as myspace that I want to specifically block.
Is there a way that certain websites can be blocked on an iPhone? I have heard on a desktop it can be done with things such as a firewall but since the iPhone isn't an actual computer I didn't know if there's a way of doing that.
markw10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2008, 09:02 PM   #2
Next Tuesday
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw10 View Post
I am getting an iPhone for my son. Because of his disabilities he has trouble with directions so I'm interested in the new iPhone since it has GPS built in and will help him with that. The only downside is when unsupervised on the internet he gets to some websites he shouldn't and has gotten into trouble. It's just a few websites such as myspace that I want to specifically block.
Is there a way that certain websites can be blocked on an iPhone? I have heard on a desktop it can be done with things such as a firewall but since the iPhone isn't an actual computer I didn't know if there's a way of doing that.
There is parental control settings on the iPhone but as far as safari, it only blocks it from being able to get online. Theres no way that i know of to block particular sites.
Next Tuesday is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 06:32 AM   #3
Moi un Mouton
macrumors 68000

If you're on wifi at home you may be able to block the sites on your router - though I realise that only works for his home use of it.
Moi un Mouton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 07:01 AM   #4
MattsxB
macrumors member

I'm guessing your son is in High School. 16 years old? I'm sure he see's or hears all kinds things at school walking down the hall. Or he will sooner or later.. All it takes is a little motivation and google searching to get around most web site blockers.
MattsxB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 08:58 AM   #5
skubish
macrumors 68030

I say disable Safari all together. Alot of info from the web can be acquired thru apps.
iPod Nano 8GB Blue
skubish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 08:59 AM   #6
RobLikesBrunch
macrumors regular

The GPS on the iPhone is pretty inaccurate and useless apparently...I wouldn't rely on it.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 09:35 AM   #7
philgilder
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLikesBrunch View Post
The GPS on the iPhone is pretty inaccurate and useless apparently...I wouldn't rely on it.
apparently being the key word there
GPS on the iphone is just as reliable and accurate as on any other mobile phone, if not more so
Old Aug 10, 2008, 09:40 AM   #8
Otsugua
macrumors newbie

there isnt turn by turn directions on the iphone yet. For someone with disabilities figuring out the directions wont be that easy. Just buy your son a real turn by turn gps. You wont have to worry about him on myspace and you can further police his actions.
Otsugua is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2008, 10:07 AM   #9
mwchris
macrumors regular

not what the op asked

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLikesBrunch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by philgilder View Post
apparently being the key word there
GPS on the iphone is just as reliable and accurate as on any other mobile phone, if not more so
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otsugua View Post
there isnt turn by turn directions on the iphone yet. For someone with disabilities figuring out the directions wont be that easy. Just buy your son a real turn by turn gps. You wont have to worry about him on myspace and you can further police his actions.
[QUOTE=MattsxB;6009732]I'm guessing your son is in High School. 16 years old? I'm sure he see's or hears all kinds things at school walking down the hall. Or he will sooner or later.. All it takes is a little motivation and google searching to get around most web site blockers.[/QUOTE

I don't understand why you all made the comments you did. The op asked a specific question about how to block access on the iPhone. Not about how the the gps works or how a kid can fond a way around any type of blocking softwarnor did she/he ask how to raise his child. So, if you have nothing to add that answes the original question then don't say anything at all.

If there is one thing about MR that bothers me it is how one someone answers a specific question that deals with limiting access to a child or teenager everyone ties to tell them how to raise their child. Unless somone specifically asks. There is no comment necessary. /end rant/

Back to the question...as previously stated there are some parental controls but I am unaware of the capabilities. Perhaps you could to an Apple store or AT&T Store and ask questions and try it out.
Old Apr 20, 2011, 07:08 PM   #10
ThisIsHero
macrumors newbie

Smile

Hi! I'm 23 F. Idk if this is still needed but I came across this thread... It's a few years late but I thought maybe some parent could use the info I have. Maybe you have other children too. I have an iPhone 4. There's an app in the app store for iPhones called "k9 web protection browser" it does give options to block offensive material: violence sexual etc. I registered for this forum just to answer this question. I hope it helps someone.

-Chalita
ThisIsHero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 08:07 PM   #11
AznTakumi
macrumors regular

why don't you just buy him a gps, that would be a lot cheaper.
AznTakumi is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2011, 10:35 PM   #12
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsHero View Post
Hi! I'm 23 F. Idk if this is still needed but I came across this thread... It's a few years late but I thought maybe some parent could use the info I have. Maybe you have other children too. I have an iPhone 4. There's an app in the app store for iPhones called "k9 web protection browser" it does give options to block offensive material: violence sexual etc. I registered for this forum just to answer this question. I hope it helps someone.

-Chalita
Thank you. Better late than never.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 09:36 PM   #13
lxLionHartxl
macrumors newbie

thanks for the share! checking this app out now
lxLionHartxl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:39 AM   #14
Trinity911
macrumors newbie

Thanks Chalita

I did a search today 2-17-13 and found that ThisIsHero (Chalita) your answer helped a lot in my personal case, and I appreciate you taking the time to post it.

God Bless!
Trinity911 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2013, 12:09 AM   #15
Nando0724
macrumors newbie

With IOS 7 go to settings, general, restrictions, put your password, go to websites, click limited restrictions, add website, type website and it's restricted.
Nando0724 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 05:54 AM   #16
scrmtrey
macrumors regular

You can also block URL and domain on router itself. So it is globally for everyone or user mac address or either IP.
scrmtrey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 06:01 AM   #17
MacDawg
macrumors P6

Thread resurrected 3 times... awesome
MacDawg is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 07:35 AM   #18
mantan
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDawg View Post
Thread resurrected 3 times... awesome
Yeah, the kid in the original thread has probably graduated by now!!

Though if anybody is currently dealing with this issue, I'd recommend a map called Mobicp. You can delete Safari and install an app that lets you set appropriate content by age group (elementary, middle, high school) and sends you a monthly update of the sites visited.

Not perfect by any means, but it helps. And as somebody wrote, kids are going to have access to things through their friends phones, unlocked home browsers etc. When I was a kid, a dad's unlocked Playboy stash was the holy grail. Now it's pretty much impossible to expect your kid isn't seeing hardcore stuff by middle school.
mantan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 07:41 AM   #19
The Doctor11
macrumors 68020

Did any one else think we were talking about somthing completly diffrent until the word "MySpace"?
The Doctor11 is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone