Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

IBM has launched a website previewing their forthcoming version of specialized Lotus Notes access for the iPhone.

Dubbed IBM Lotus iNotes 'Ultralite', the web-based application built on Lotus Domino Web Access will provide corporate email, calendar, and contacts in a specially formatted iPhone version. Several preliminary screenshots are available, though IBM notes they are subject to change.

The software has been expected since January and will be released later this year.

Article Link

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Cooool ... a web app. :rolleyes: I like how in the little banner there they felt the need to add in a fake Mac OS X scroll bar on the iPhone. :rolleyes:

picture1ap9.png

thecartoonguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2008
While I have not used "Note" is about seven years, I'm sure this will make someone very happy. I wonder what the percent of users are on this application compared to the other services out there?

Trip.Tucker

Mar 13, 2008
While I have not used "Note" is about seven years, I'm sure this will make someone very happy. I wonder what the percent of users are on this application compared to the other services out there?

How many people are using Lotus Notes in the world? Many corporations use it.

mitchellh

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2008
Why wouldn't they just make this into a native iPhone app? It seems like it'd be much more fluid that way, less clunky, as most web apps are. Although they could prove me wrong... I find it unlikely.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Why wouldn't they just make this into a native iPhone app? It seems like it'd be much more fluid that way, less clunky, as most web apps are. Although they could prove me wrong... I find it unlikely.

While you have a good point, it's less risky to make a web application that uses the same framework that the existing iNotes Web Access portal uses. Less security risks, etc. Either way, it's a huge step in the right direction.

tobyx

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2008
Berlin, Germany
I'd say wait until Apple does the push notification service and do a native app but Lotus Notes is clunky and bad as it is, this web app will actually be an improvement.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Not Very popular

in my company of 46,000 employees only about 1,800 are using notes, every one else is happy using exchange.

bstreiff

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
In the company I work for (4000ish employees), we use Notes. Outlook shines in comparison.

And the worst part is, migrating away would be hard-- not only do we use it for mail/calendaring (for which it does a horrible job at both) it's also integrated into a whole bunch of Oracle services as well (such as our phone support department's systems). I've seen hints that our bug-tracking system used to be in Notes as well, though I don't know that for certain.

Our IT department is apparently now running a beta program for moving to Notes 8 in which they finally turned IMAP support on, though I haven't yet figured out how to take part in the beta.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I for one see this as a seminal moment. IBM is now largely a software and services company. Here is IBM using the iPhone device as a front end for its software and services. It would only take IBM Doing a similar thing for 2-3 more applications to make a real dent in iPhone sales rates, and corporate adoption.

It almost doesn't mater if this application sucks or not.

Rocketman

sebimeyer

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2002
looks like big blue is about to jump onto a very tiny, yet fast moving bandwagon.

A "proper" email app would be nice. If you have only a .mac/me account mail.app is ok, I guess, buyanyone who has more thanone account and gets more than a fewemails a day will learnto hate it. Why no unified inbox? Smart mailboxes that sync over from the mac? And a huge one: junk mail filtering?

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
Screenshot: Attach and send files

How do they plan to do that? Or are you attaching files that are already on your server?

babyj

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006

To date IBM state that they have sold over 140 Million licenses for Lotus Notes, they don't say how many are still in use / paying annual maintenance but I'd imagine it is a lot of people (10's of Millions).

So something like this is big, big news for a lot of major companies - companies that could very easily go out and buy many thousands of new phones for their staff at once. So it could be big news for Apple as well - the first major corporate switch to the iPhone will be headline news.

Bambeezer

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
Dallas, TX
A web app is disappointing compared with a native app, but I'll take what I can get. I think this iNotes template requires Notes server 8. The reality is that a few significant prerequisites are required to make this work.

Santa Rosa

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2007
Indiana
I also think this would be better if it was a native app, but I was wondering, would that not be possible to do, as it would be direct competition to the iPhones mail app? Isn't that something that Apple would disallow?

3Tabernacles

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2007
Eastman Kodak uses Lotus Croaks

Kodak forces their people to use this crap and they're still using version 6.5! Their IT NAZIs won't allow iPhones, They use the security risk as an excuse. They only allow Crackberries to Upper management who dwell in the same building as the freakin Domino server. Go Figure! I can't wait for the day IBM end of lifes Notes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.